Laughing City
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

norad wrote:
tungsten wrote:
The Pierces
The Bridges

Being sisters doesn't make them similar. Wink

Seeing as I have written disparagingly about The Bridges before - specifically the video that looks like a stylistic ripoff of 'Telescope Eyes' (which it does) - I feel the need to update my opinion and a search didn't turn up their thread, so this is as good a place as any.

I recently bought some cheap CDs on eBay (including a sealed 'Room Noises' & excellent condition 'Combinations' which I am giving as a gift in an attempt of conversion Wink ) and The Bridges 'Limits of the Sky' was there, I said why not and won it for a penny (or really $1.91 when you add in shipping.) I have listened to it and have to say, this is a pretty damn catchy album! Quite impressive for a debut. I would never mistake them for Eisley but beyond the sisters/brother/cousin combo there are other familiar elements, particularly the swooning backing harmonies. It's like an album full of Golly Sandras. And produced by Matthew Sweet! That's a pretty good seal of approval.

Someone here took a lot of ribbing before for saying they liked 'em, I just wanna say to them I'm on your side now. Smile

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, there were a few converts, myself among them. I compare them more to Rilo Kiley now. Especially after their Our Monster Ep, which you need to checkout if you haven't. They get their ABBA on Shocked on one song, a bit of a Stevie Nicks/ Barbara Mandrell vibe on another, and two folk rock numbers that display some great arrangements and vocal performances. It's more impressive than the full length because you get a real sense of just what they can do musically.

http://wearethebridges.com/our-monster-ep full stream, legal.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kit
Sea Post King

I'm kind of surprised The Like hasn't been mentioned yet (maybe it just goes without saying here?). Their first album almost sounded like Geffen's answer to Eisley. Their second album sounds nothing like Eisley though.

I just heard of the band First Aid Kit and they have that kind of wistful, twangy, girl-folk sound with a slight Fleet Foxes-like swirl.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Like came up the last time there was one of these thread. Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking is a great album, and I'm going to give credit to Wendy & Lisa, they produce great music. So far, of the two artists I know who've recorded albums with them, in both cases their next albums were complete departures. My guess is, they take the magic with them when they go.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area