Laughing City

Have you ever Downloaded Music Illegally?
Yes. Shamefully I have.
84%
 84%  [ 61 ]
No, and proud of it.
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 72

OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

ryan fisher wrote:
i like to have the physical manifestation of it as well (liner notes, artwork, packaging, etc).

That's a big factor for me too. Now and then you can find out some really interesting points to ponder from reading liner notes (not to mention the occasional hilarious picture).

Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:
Bobo wrote:
This is awkward, how do you know if you've downloaded music illegally?

doesn't matter if the band said it was ok, or it's public domain, or it's your own music if you haven't paid the RIAA then it's illegal and you might as well be clubbing baby seals. Razz

That isn't entirely correct. If you yourself wrote the music and have not released it commercially on an RIAA-supported label, then the RIAA can't do anything.

I want to say that the RIAA also can't do anything if you've downloaded music from bands on labels not supported by the RIAA, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
berlies_
Lost at Forum

I used to download music way back when, but usually not a lot. I'd never find the right song and it was just annoying.

Now I pay for all my music, either from a CD or on iTunes. Alot of people who ridicule iTunes for charging a lot for downloading a song, ridicule me. But you know what, I don't care. It's something I'm going to enjoy, and I don't mind paying for it. I'd have to pay for it if it were a CD anyway.

Atleast this way, I know exactly what i'm downloading and I know it'll have great quality.

amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

berlies_ wrote:
I used to download music way back when, but usually not a lot. I'd never find the right song and it was just annoying.

Now I pay for all my music, either from a CD or on iTunes. Alot of people who ridicule iTunes for charging a lot for downloading a song, ridicule me. But you know what, I don't care. It's something I'm going to enjoy, and I don't mind paying for it. I'd have to pay for it if it were a CD anyway.

Atleast this way, I know exactly what i'm downloading and I know it'll have great quality.

and besides that, many times buying from iTunes is cheaper than buying it from a store. if there's an artist i like, but i don't feel i need to have the album artwork/actual cd, i'll use iTunes.
it's great for just buying certain songs, too. there are a lot of songs i love that i don't really want to buy a cd to get.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

MoreOfTheSame wrote:
chasd00 wrote:
Bobo wrote:
This is awkward, how do you know if you've downloaded music illegally?

doesn't matter if the band said it was ok, or it's public domain, or it's your own music if you haven't paid the RIAA then it's illegal and you might as well be clubbing baby seals. :P

That isn't entirely correct. If you yourself wrote the music and have not released it commercially on an RIAA-supported label, then the RIAA can't do anything.

I want to say that the RIAA also can't do anything if you've downloaded music from bands on labels not supported by the RIAA, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

i was being sarcastic, if sound emanates from a speaker the RIAA wants a cut doesn't matter if their entitled or not, if they can convince you you owe them they'll take it in a sec. You know what's funny? there's a levy on all blank media that goes to the RIAA.. just in case you decide to use it to pirate music. If i remember right, canada just increased the levy and made the news recently. Not to keep ranting BUT i bet you'd get a nice hardy laugh out of them if you asked to be reimbursed if there's no evidence you have pirated music.

oh and they want to "tax" or levy mp3 players too
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11080

starnothing
Laughing Citizen

duh.

too bad for instrumental bands you practically have to buy the CDs just to be sure Laughing but i got away with downloading every explosions in the sky song ever. <3

and my favorite band, thursday, doesnt really care too much for people downloading their music. i mean, it makes sense if there's people who can't afford it, to just download. but i buy their CDs anyway of course.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

starnothing wrote:
and my favorite band, thursday, doesnt really care too much for people downloading their music.

Lots of musicians feel the same way. Radiohead and U2 have both encouraged downloading in the past. A friend of mine told me the Arctic Monkeys put a song of theirs on LimeWire and gained thousands of new fans that way. I want to get one of those bumper stickers that says "I am a musician and I support filesharing" and put it on my guitar case. I'm releasing my EP under a Creative Commons license and publicly encouraging people to share it with friends, burn copies, BitTorrent and filetransfer it.

This is the face of changing technology, and since record companies didn't adapt to it when they had the chance, now they're suffering. The thing is, even now they're not adapting to technology--they're forcing the technology to adapt to them through barbaric DRM restrictions, and forcing iTunes to change their pricing structure so some songs cost more than others.

Fortunately the revolution is already underway. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stargazer101
Sea Post King

duhhh.. lime wire.
Vintage Newbie

stargazer101 wrote:
duhhh.. lime wire.

Soulseek >>>>>>>>>> Lime Wire
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

A few additions to the discussion:

1) Soulseek is good.
2) iTunes music is really not very high quality. Certainly not CD quality.
3) I tend to agree with Downhill Battle. Read and be informed.
neverknowsbest
Sea Post King

I have and do all the time. I gotta add that I tend to buy the records to bands i like enough from the music i download if not i dont bother wasting my 15 bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CaughtOnFilm
Laughing Citizen

I used to download a lot of NSYNC songs when napster first came out
.... i was 12 okay!?!?!

www.imahuman.tumblr.com
www.isitreallysostrange.wordpress.com
[i spend too much time on the internet, apparently.]