Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

I can swim. Last I checked...I haven't been in a pool or anything like it for years though. Swim suits have a strange way of making me self conscious when I'm not usually so. Confused But I don't like water that isn't clear (so no lake or rivers plz) I also need to be able to see/touch the bottom or else there's no way I'm staying. I also get it in my mind that there's gonna be something huge and scary swimming my way so I get freaked out. Laughing
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

Hmm.. well my understanding of swimming is you just have to keep moving your legs to stay up, obviousily. But what I dont understand is those people who will be fixing their goggles or doing whatever but standing still in the same spot in the (deep end) of the water, for like, hours. Haha. I guess they have great leg muscles and don't tire easily.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

starnothing wrote:
Hmm.. well my understanding of swimming is you just have to keep moving your legs to stay up, obviousily. But what I dont understand is those people who will be fixing their goggles or doing whatever but standing still in the same spot in the (deep end) of the water, for like, hours. Haha. I guess they have great leg muscles and don't tire easily.

You can usually stay afloat and have your hands out of water for a little bit, but it's really easy to stay in one spot for a long time if you use your hands and legs. Just kick your legs, then make cups with your hands and move them back and forth, parallel with your line of sight.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I probably go into the pool only two or three times a year, but if you told me I'd have to swim across a lake tomorrow, I'd be completely confident I could do it.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
but if you told me I'd have to swim across a lake tomorrow, I'd be completely confident I could do it.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
JBaker wrote:
but if you told me I'd have to swim across a lake tomorrow, I'd be completely confident I could do it.

Piece of cake.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

You're talking about that little Weber Lake right?
Sea Post King

Because no has mentioned anything, we can safely assume based on the video clip that Stacy does not know how to swim. Now in the video, Sherri also points out that Stacy does not know how to whistle too. Any comments?

I'm just kidding lol.
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

Wow! I've never felt so good about knowing how to swim than I have while reading this thread.
I seriously just assume everyone knows how. I had NO idea so many adult people didn't know.

I must call my mother right away and thank her for all the years of swimming lessons when I was really little.

I got all the way up to the level where they were going to teach us the butterfly stroke. Then I quit. so I can't do the butterfly...but I can still (after all these years) swim most other ways. And dive. (from the side...not so much the diving board).

fernster
Sea Post King

So I guess there won't be a Eisley band VS LCers swimming contest anytime soon!

oh goodness we got some serious issues going on here
on this post. i have never known so many NON swimmers all in one group in my whole life!!!!!!!ever!! interesting Shocked

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i wonder how much of it is psychological.

really an adult, unless they're a midget, should have very little trouble in a normal 10 ft deep in ground pool getting from bottom to air in no time at all.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

fernster wrote:
So I guess there won't be a Eisley band VS LCers swimming contest anytime soon!

oh goodness we got some serious issues going on here
on this post. i have never known so many NON swimmers all in one group in my whole life!!!!!!!ever!! interesting Shocked
Haha, as shocked as I was, it's not like we're all gathered at a community pool or on the beach. We're on an internet forum. Razz

But I definitely took by ability for granted. I'm grateful I was thrown in! Very Happy

whatupmyasian
Sea Post King

Ok so I had to bring this thread again considering it is summer. Any improvements so far for anybody who doesn't know how to swim? Yesterday I was in my friends pool trying to get the feeling of the deep end. I used my arms at the edge of the pool and maneuvered to the deep end and let go. I tried to stay afloat and... I nearly drowned lol. It's only funny because I managed to find the edge and I got up and my friend was just looking at me.
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

in France me and my friend went swimming in this river under these roman aquaducts, it looked pretty calm
except the current was actually pretty bad and i was trying as hard as i could to follow everybody, but i slowly floated away from my friend, Erinn, so she had to rescue me. which means i had to climb onto her back as we tried to swim through random canoe-ers who kept splashing us with their paddles, then this other girl figures she needs help to so grabs onto Erinn's head, almost drowning her
it was pretty bad. my other friend and this guys mom were watching on the cliffs above and were all "oh my god, kathy, i thought you were gonna die seriously."

long story short:
No, I still cannot swim. I doubt I ever will.

-Mae West
pazatronix!
Lost at Forum

kathymunster wrote:
in France me and my friend went swimming in this river under these roman aquaducts, it looked pretty calm
except the current was actually pretty bad and i was trying as hard as i could to follow everybody, but i slowly floated away from my friend, Erinn, so she had to rescue me. which means i had to climb onto her back as we tried to swim through random canoe-ers who kept splashing us with their paddles, then this other girl figures she needs help to so grabs onto Erinn's head, almost drowning her
it was pretty bad. my other friend and this guys mom were watching on the cliffs above and were all "oh my god, kathy, i thought you were gonna die seriously."

long story short:
No, I still cannot swim. I doubt I ever will.

that sounds scary. but i'm still jealous you got to swim in france. Laughing

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>