29%  [ 25 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 85

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:

Those words, taken in context, to me mean: Don't judge other people on what they do, what rules they follow/don't follow.

I believe in God, and I believe that is enough.

Just playing devil's advocate here (can I be pacino?)

The bible (which you used to state your beliefs) certainly has more criteria that just 'Believing in God."
It even states taht teh demons belived in God.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

mr pine wrote:
Cap'n O'Schovanec wrote:

Just wondering I guess, the whole Religion is just doing things to appease your god thing threw me off. Only because God does require church attendance. But I perfer to leave topics about religion alone so I'm just going to stop now

Sure. The bible does also "require" other things. But I don't feel the point of doing those is to apease your god, or to flee from his wrath.

It is more of a "if you study you will learn" type thing

I'm pretty sure I understand were you're coming from. We follow God because we have an honest desire to do so, not because we're afraid that he'll strike us down if we don't

Facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455720010

EisleyForever wrote:

Never you mind, dearie. When a person implores your soul to watch its dead body have love made to it by an underage girl--from Texas, no less--it's okay not to respond.
Joined: 19 Mar 2007 | Posts: 662 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Could not of said it better myself Very Happy

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

cynlovescandy wrote:
If I'm filling in a bubble on a scantron:
I'm a Protestant Christian. Raised Baptist.
Nowadays I go to church around once a month.
I don't think church is required, but I actually enjoy hearing different insights from people who really know their stuff.

If someone really wanted to know what "religion" I am...
I'd say "I believe in God."
I don't follow any typical "rules" that people associate with Christianity.

"For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Romans 14:17

"So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves." Romans 14:22.

Those words, taken in context, to me mean: Don't judge other people on what they do, what rules they follow/don't follow.

I believe in God, and I believe that is enough.

"And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them." Exodus 25:8

PS...I'm honestly not trying to be a "Holier then Thou" jerk here. Just pointing a few things out.

EisleyForever wrote:

Never you mind, dearie. When a person implores your soul to watch its dead body have love made to it by an underage girl--from Texas, no less--it's okay not to respond.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

mr pine wrote:
Could not of said it better myself Very Happy

Awesome, sorry I wasn't understanding there at the beginning

EisleyForever wrote:

rox_my_sox
Sea Post King

deleted.
Last edited by rox_my_sox on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Bryan646 wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
Call it retrospection, but I remember a time where there was no way that the atheist/agnostics would outnumber the christians for any length of time on this board.

Do you see that as a positive, negative or merely an observation?

It's an observation. When I came here about four years ago, I seem to remember there being a stronger 'Christian front' on the part of the fanbase. Well, it very well could've just been my subjective view, but I didn't know about Five Iron Frenzy or a few other Christian acts before then.

I think a lot of had to do with Eisley's Christian fanbase before the Coldplay tour, the Brand New, et cetera. And the sale of Eisley's albums in Christian bookstores. If you go and look back at some of the older threads in the Eisleyblog, you'll see Kim defending how Eisley can be a Christian band.
Kimbrtones wrote:
This is long, but worthy of reading....

"Guest wrote"
Quote:
Moss Eisley identifies themselves as a "Christian" band. But what I'd like to know is what's christian about it?. In all there songs there is not one reference to Jesus Christ.
Why don't they just save themselves a lot of trouble and go all out secular.
labels frown on Christian bands because they have such a bad reputation

When a Christian plumber goes out and plumbs, does he plumb for Jesus? As he is fixing broken pipes, is he required to shout out the name of Jesus to the people that have asked him for his services? (God may have him there for that purpose, but he may just be there to use his skill to fix someone's broken pipes.
When a Christian lawyer goes into a courtroom, does he preach Jesus as he is defending his client, or does he carry Christ in him, and his life should be reflecting that?
When my Christian husband goes to his job everyday, and pours out his creative art skills on logos, brochures, and ads, is he required to put Jesus into all of his artwork? Like somehow squeeze in a picture of Jesus on the cross, or something?

BUT, if Christian musicians, who are created by, and inspired by God to do really good music, and in their hearts they know that nothing good comes from themselves, and give glory to Him in their daily walk and life for all He has done in and through them. If they go about their everday life, working out their own salvation through fear and trembling, (as the Bible commands), loving people around them, and being obedient to share their faith, if the opportunity arises. Why are they required to use their talent to "cast the net" over their audience, and preach to them?
Here is a recent email from someone that was at one of MossEisley's "not mentioning Jesus Christ in any of their songs" show:
"Okay, I was at the MossEisley show last night at Gypsy Tea Room and I have to tell you that it was amazing! You girls have the most angelic voices- thank you so much for sharing your talent!

I read about ya'll briefly in the Origin magazine while I was sitting up at Mardel one day. So from what I gather are ya'll a Christian band? Even if your label is not "Christian" I have to tell you that the Holy Spirit floes right out of your music when ya'll play. When I was at your show last night I was just wishing that I could be in a place to worship the Lord. I wanted to encourage you girls, and boys, to never lose heart and play unto the Lord. I believe with my whole heart that God has blessed your family with a talent to really lead broken people to His heart through your music.

Thank You again for sharing your amazing gift. God Bless each one of you!
-Lisa"

Hmmn? How could that happen if MossEisley didn't preach from the stage? Because the Holy Spirit is the one who draws men's hearts, and because God breathes on what He has created. Why are the rules so strange for musicians? It's all God's anyway.

With the aforementioned tours (plus the NFG tour), Eisley started to get a larger fanbase outside of the Christian scene.

But I think here's a better question to the one you posed on the Eisley fanbase (no offence Wink ) How can Eisley be fans of the Beatles and Radiohead?

Thom Yorke embraces many liberal causes, and hints at his atheist/agnosticbeliefs.Do his views clash with Eisley's presumably Republican views? (I did catch Boyd making a ketchup remark during the 2004 election)

John Lennon opposed Christian dogma and said, "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity." I always wondered how Boyd and Kim reacted to that.

Kim feel free to correct me.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

^^^^^^

Good read but I don't know if it had anything to do with the topic at hand.

But that is just me.

wilsmith wrote:

Bryan646
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
Bryan646 wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
Call it retrospection, but I remember a time where there was no way that the atheist/agnostics would outnumber the christians for any length of time on this board.

Do you see that as a positive, negative or merely an observation?

It's an observation. When I came here about four years ago, I seem to remember there being a stronger 'Christian front' on the part of the fanbase. Well, it very well could've just been my subjective view, but I didn't know about Five Iron Frenzy or a few other Christian acts before then.

I think a lot of had to do with Eisley's Christian fanbase before the Coldplay tour, the Brand New, et cetera. And the sale of Eisley's albums in Christian bookstores. If you go and look back at some of the older threads in the Eisleyblog, you'll see Kim defending how Eisley can be a Christian band.
Kimbrtones wrote:
This is long, but worthy of reading....

"Guest wrote"
Quote:
Moss Eisley identifies themselves as a "Christian" band. But what I'd like to know is what's christian about it?. In all there songs there is not one reference to Jesus Christ.
Why don't they just save themselves a lot of trouble and go all out secular.
labels frown on Christian bands because they have such a bad reputation

When a Christian plumber goes out and plumbs, does he plumb for Jesus? As he is fixing broken pipes, is he required to shout out the name of Jesus to the people that have asked him for his services? (God may have him there for that purpose, but he may just be there to use his skill to fix someone's broken pipes.
When a Christian lawyer goes into a courtroom, does he preach Jesus as he is defending his client, or does he carry Christ in him, and his life should be reflecting that?
When my Christian husband goes to his job everyday, and pours out his creative art skills on logos, brochures, and ads, is he required to put Jesus into all of his artwork? Like somehow squeeze in a picture of Jesus on the cross, or something?

BUT, if Christian musicians, who are created by, and inspired by God to do really good music, and in their hearts they know that nothing good comes from themselves, and give glory to Him in their daily walk and life for all He has done in and through them. If they go about their everday life, working out their own salvation through fear and trembling, (as the Bible commands), loving people around them, and being obedient to share their faith, if the opportunity arises. Why are they required to use their talent to "cast the net" over their audience, and preach to them?
Here is a recent email from someone that was at one of MossEisley's "not mentioning Jesus Christ in any of their songs" show:
"Okay, I was at the MossEisley show last night at Gypsy Tea Room and I have to tell you that it was amazing! You girls have the most angelic voices- thank you so much for sharing your talent!

I read about ya'll briefly in the Origin magazine while I was sitting up at Mardel one day. So from what I gather are ya'll a Christian band? Even if your label is not "Christian" I have to tell you that the Holy Spirit floes right out of your music when ya'll play. When I was at your show last night I was just wishing that I could be in a place to worship the Lord. I wanted to encourage you girls, and boys, to never lose heart and play unto the Lord. I believe with my whole heart that God has blessed your family with a talent to really lead broken people to His heart through your music.

Thank You again for sharing your amazing gift. God Bless each one of you!
-Lisa"

Hmmn? How could that happen if MossEisley didn't preach from the stage? Because the Holy Spirit is the one who draws men's hearts, and because God breathes on what He has created. Why are the rules so strange for musicians? It's all God's anyway.

With the aforementioned tours (plus the NFG tour), Eisley started to get a larger fanbase outside of the Christian scene.

But I think here's a better question to the one you posed on the Eisley fanbase (no offence Wink ) How can Eisley be fans of the Beatles and Radiohead?

Thom Yorke embraces many liberal causes, and hints at his atheist/agnosticbeliefs.Do his views clash with Eisley's presumably Republican views? (I did catch Boyd making a ketchup remark during the 2004 election)

John Lennon opposed Christian dogma and said, "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity." I always wondered how Boyd and Kim reacted to that.

Kim feel free to correct me.

Thanks for all this info, it was interesting to read. I'll admit when I got Combinations and read that they all thanked "God" in the credits, I was a little freaked out. But I looked into it further and found that they are Christian but don't preach in their music I felt relief. I know that sounds really ignorant of me, but it's like this. When I thought that they were glorifying a specific theology in their music I found it harder for me to identify with. But when it all comes down to it, it's about the music. That's how I can be a fan of Eisley, and they can be fans of Radiohead and The Beatles, because the music they make transcends any sort of glorified ideals or theology.
Cap'n O'Schovanec
Golly, Poster

rox_my_sox wrote:
I'm a Christian. nondenominational.

James 2:14
"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"

James 2:17
"Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."

James 2:24
"You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only."

Need to be careful on this one. We're not saved by works. If that were the case then the malefactor on the cross would not have gone to paradise as Jesus told him he would. It's important to look up the translation of "Faith" in these verses. Unfortunately I don't have my Strongs Concordance at work...

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast." Eph. 2:8-9

EisleyForever wrote:

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
^^^^^^

Good read but I don't know if it had anything to do with the topic at hand.

But that is just me.

I stray. I admit it.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
soupey
Sea Post King

I stopped being Christian when I stopped believing. I'm a factual person, I read Scientific America, I love thinking about crazy universe stuff, and taking what a book says at face value doesn't sit right with that.

Don't get me wrong, I like religion, but ONLY in the "Here are the morals you should have, be a good person because it's the right thing to do, do what's right because it's right" and all that. It's when people blindly follow, and only do good out of fear of going to hell that I hate.

I guess I feel like I'm above religion, I feel like I don't need a book, or church, to tell me how to do what's right.
piperjay23
Sea Post King

All do respect to anyone/everyone's religion...but:

If there's one way to alienate a lot of people, start preaching.

Eisley is probably as successful as they are due to their deep faith.

Eisley is probably as successful as they are becuase they don't wear their religion on their sleeves.

Religion is deeply personal. It can inspire. But be weary of those that start telling you about theirs without provocation. Usually they are not interested in hearing about your faith unless it directly affirms theirs.

The term "Christian" these days I take to mean born-again or some variation of such. I always thought Catholics preferred to be called Catholic to differentiate themselves from other forms. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Waiting for godot.

Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I was raised Catholic, but I'd like to try going to different Christian denomination churches. I don't feel like I can identify a whole lot with Catholicism. I've come to Christianity more over the past few years, and realized like, how much more there is to it. Fun time.
Drew10265
Sea Post King

i don't know enough about many religions to say for sure, and i'd like to think that this whole life on earth isn't for nothing, but who knows. if people are faithful to something they believe and it makes them feel good and motivates them to do things then no one should have a problem with it. however, i did grow up in a family [my dad's side] that was very adamant about preaching their beliefs [i once witnessed my uncle preach the bible to an innocent waitress at a friendly's...embarrassing.] but hey believe what you want. one interesting thing about religion is that two or more people could fall into the same denomination but believe many different things when it comes to interpretation, so maybe denomination isn't even a fair way to classify. who knows, i could go on forever. long story short i'm fine with whatever anyone believes in as long as it's not overbearingly prideful or hurtful to anyone else.
Joined: 16 Dec 2007 | Posts: 71 | Location: Dania Beach, Florida

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>