Laughing City
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
emilytheanteater wrote:
WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOB Anaheim is the first stop!!!! I live 15 minutes away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hec YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! I'm from the same area they are, and I still don't get that short of a trip to their shows. Laughing

The Portland show is about 15 minutes from my house, as well. Actually, when I saw Metric there in June I forgot my tickets and we had to drive back to get them. Minor inconvenience, but no big deal since we were early, haha.

But I'll be driving 3 hours the next day to catch Eisley's Seattle show also. Road trips are more fun anyway.

I'm not chastising you or anything, but is there decent rail/bus options between the cities? Just curious.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
uncreative wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
emilytheanteater wrote:
WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOB Anaheim is the first stop!!!! I live 15 minutes away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hec YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! I'm from the same area they are, and I still don't get that short of a trip to their shows. Laughing

The Portland show is about 15 minutes from my house, as well. Actually, when I saw Metric there in June I forgot my tickets and we had to drive back to get them. Minor inconvenience, but no big deal since we were early, haha.

But I'll be driving 3 hours the next day to catch Eisley's Seattle show also. Road trips are more fun anyway.

I'm not chastising you or anything, but is there decent rail/bus options between the cities? Just curious.

I have actually been thinking about doing a train trip to Seattle on one of my future visits. A Mariners game would be a great reason to, considering the train station is within walking distance of the ballpark, and there are game/train ticket packages available from Portland.

So anyway, I just looked into a train/bus trip for the concert. Well... it's less than practical. First off, my car get's ~25mpg highway and the trip to Seattle is 350 miles round trip. At $2.50-3.00 a gallon, it would cost $35-42 total. Only $17.50-21 a piece. A round trip Greyhound ticket would cost $29 each, which isn't bad considering it's only about a half hour longer trip than driving, or maybe even the same when you include stops for gas/food/bathroom in a car. However, the concert is Saturday and I have to work Sunday morning, so I was planning on watching Eisley's set and driving back to Portland that night. The earliest bus in the morning wouldn't be until 9 AM (when I have to be at work), so I would miss a day of work, plus I would have to pay for a motel, ballooning the entire cost of the trip WAY up. Same goes for Amtrak, except it would cost over $50 a piece just for the train tickets.

So yeah... considering all that, driving is just too logical in this situation, especially since money is tight for me at the moment. I understand your point of view, but that's just too much hassle and cost.

I guess I could always bike up there. Wink
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Well, of course it's cheaper if you only go by fuel costs, Laughing

Government approximated mileage is $.55/mile (that includes depreciation, insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc).

A good network of rails nation wide would be nice, but Megabus does a pretty bangup job in the areas it covers.

AND, the Bolt Bus on the east coast even offers free wi-fi and power outlets, so you troll n' roll.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Well, of course it's cheaper if you only go by fuel costs, Laughing

Government approximated mileage is $.55/mile (that includes depreciation, insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc).

A good network of rails nation wide would be nice, but Megabus does a pretty bangup job in the areas it covers.

AND, the Bolt Bus on the east coast even offers free wi-fi and power outlets, so you troll n' roll.

Well in that case, I should be charging my friends a lot more when I drive on road trips!

That seems like an excessive estimate, though, $.55/mile. At least for me. I have had my car for just over 3 years, and I've put approximately 55,000 miles on it (yeah, I drive a lot...). My quick calculations said that's about $6,500 in gas (maybe a little more though if I put my estimated average $/gallon too low), so on top of that I would have put $30,250 into it through insurance, depreciation, taxes, maintenance, etc. Well, I paid $2,700 for my car so depreciation is minimal, insurance is $350 every six months (so $2,100 in 3 years), and I have had very little maintenance so far, pretty much just replacing small parts on my own and changing the oil and filters, also on my own (although I'm just waiting for that big problem that I can't fix on my own to happen... *knocking on wood*).

But considering the average American drives a big pickup truck or SUV that they payed $30,000+ for I can see how the depreciation alone would amount to $.55/mile, at least for the first year.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Yup, most people don't drive around practical cheap cars. I'm still amazed at how high the yearly AAA estimates are for auto ownership, $8000.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Hmm, roundtrip tickets to ORL in November are pretty reasonably priced, so I'll probably try to head down there again to catch one or both of the shows at The Social. It's a fun little space.

Here's looking forward to Fall. Smile
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
Meggers
Vintage Newbie

So pumped for the Dallas show. Say Anything and Eisley in such a small venue is amazing. Not stoked on the area around the venue, but I'll deal.

emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

quick question... so are pre-sale tix usually more expensive?? i'm planning on getting 2 tix, either pre-sale or when they sell to general public. no way am i waiting at the door. i have a feeling hob anaheim will sell out...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Meggers wrote:
Not stoked on the area around the venue

uh...
curious...
why exactly?
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Meggers wrote:

uh...
curious...
why exactly?

Not enough country clubs and tennis courts, if you know what I mean.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Deep Ellum? That place can be pretty freaking sketchy. It's been a while since I've been around there, though. I have no idea if it's gone up or down hill.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Deep Ellum is hardly scary.
There's freaking nothing there now, making it slightly more sketchy, but there are a bunch of worse places in Dallas alone...

Congratulations
Sea Post King

emilytheanteater wrote:
quick question... so are pre-sale tix usually more expensive?? i'm planning on getting 2 tix, either pre-sale or when they sell to general public. no way am i waiting at the door. i have a feeling hob anaheim will sell out...

Anytime I've bought them they've been the same price as they normally would sell for. Bands usually have a presale to give their core fans a shot at buying tickets before the general public can, not to try to make more money.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
Meggers
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Meggers wrote:

uh...
curious...
why exactly?

I'm just freaked out by homeless people asking me for money and things like that. I tend to go down there alone or with my girlfriends and I just don't feel as safe as if this show was at the House of Blues or something.

Meggers
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Deep Ellum is hardly scary.
There's freaking nothing there now, making it slightly more sketchy, but there are a bunch of worse places in Dallas alone...

True, it's not as bad as it was, but being a girl down there alone isn't exactly the best feeling in the world.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>