15%  [ 3 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
I do not own any beatles Cds. But I have every one of their albums on vinyl.

I think they are all in stereo though, except for Introducing the Beatles, which I know is Mono. They are amazing to listen to on a record player they way they were meant to.

I like the old stereo where vocals were in left speaker and guitar in right or whatever.

i think it has charm. and sounds better than today's stereo.

listen to the original hey bulldog on stereo record then on stereo cd and hear the difference.

Yeah, but you have the fake Capitol (and Vee-Jay obviously) records that in many cases are nothing like the band intended.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:

Yeah, but you have the fake Capitol (and Vee-Jay obviously) records that in many cases are nothing like the band intended.

are you talking about track listing?

if so, then yes. But that is only up to SGT Peppers. After that, they were the same in the UK as in the US.

I have all the cds as MP3s. So I do know the "correct" way the albums were supposed to be.

And I do have the UK hard day's night. I am looking into getting the uk albums that were not released in the us (these would be Please Please me, With the Beatles, Beatles for sale, help, rubber soul and revolver if I recall correctly).

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, that's right.
I'm just saying that you've got to listen to the new remasters to be able to appreciate them.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

if you have Capitol vinyl they aren't exactly like the UK/Parlophone in tracklisting (up to Sgt Pepper's) and sound.

i think i've read they added reverb some times - mastered differently.

they put out 2 Capitol box sets a few years ago that replicated the US/Capitol versions exactly.

MMT is always the US release/tracklisting though, so if you buy the mono box set it will have the replicated Capitol sticker on it instead of Parlophone.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I just got what I could get my hands on. So I have a mix of Parlaphone, Capitol and Apple.

oddly enough my copy of magical mystery tour, which is parlaphone from Germany, seems off to me.

COmpared to my digital copy, the vinyl is playing slightly faster. speed up almost. but not by a lot. But enough that I can notice it.
Especially side 1.

a bigger question is, to anyone who has the remastered box set.

On Let It Be, since they bumped up the volume, can you hear the nasty reverb feedback thing that is going on in the otherwise perfect Across The Universe?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i've read a couple of songs were faster on mono - not sure which the true speed.

i've wondered if Long Long Long is still super quiet on the remastered White Album.

i'm wondering about this Big Star box, too.

if markr were around he would know the details on all this, especially Big Star.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i just assumed my copy was stereo. but maybe it is mono. I will have to look tonight.

wilsmith wrote:

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i think She's Leaving Home and Don't Pass Me By are in different keys.
Can't remember if any off of MMT.

Strawberry Fields - I think the 87 CD corrected the speed - you know when it changes, it's actually two different takes of the song and they spliced them together. wiki has some history on this.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
I just got what I could get my hands on. So I have a mix of Parlaphone, Capitol and Apple.

oddly enough my copy of magical mystery tour, which is parlaphone from Germany, seems off to me.

COmpared to my digital copy, the vinyl is playing slightly faster. speed up almost. but not by a lot. But enough that I can notice it.
Especially side 1.

a bigger question is, to anyone who has the remastered box set.

On Let It Be, since they bumped up the volume, can you hear the nasty reverb feedback thing that is going on in the otherwise perfect Across The Universe?

All of the terrible "Specter-ized" stuff on Let It Be is still in there. Including the stupid unnecessary strings and instrumentation on Across The Universe and The Long And Winding Road. Nothing was remixed, only remastered.

And as to SFF, there were two versions recorded at different speeds and in different keys. One was the basic guitar version, and the other was full orchestral. John liked both versions and actually wanted to just release them both. George Martin didn't like that idea though, and was able to speed up/slow down the two takes to make it into the same key and everything for the version we are familiar with. I think each of the two versions is somewhere in the Anthology series.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

they had to slow down john's vocals for SFF right?

It sounds so low. He doesn't sing another song as low as that one.

wilsmith wrote:

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I don't know what all they did to come up with the Strawberry Fields release, but it is just so amazing! So unique! So trippy! Smile
boone
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
All of the terrible "Specter-ized" stuff on Let It Be is still in there. Including the stupid unnecessary strings and instrumentation on Across The Universe and The Long And Winding Road. Nothing was remixed, only remastered.

Let It Be: Naked is always available. It doesn't need to be remastered.

It always bugs me when people say Spector's production of Let It Be is terrible. It's ill fitting to the music, but it's gorgeous. It just ain't The Beatles. Maybe they should release an album just of Phil Spector's overdubs?

mr pine wrote:
they had to slow down john's vocals for SFF right?

It sounds so low. He doesn't sing another song as low as that one.

His voice sounds flanged. They would "flange" the tape by pushing on it, which would randomly fluctuate the recording speed. It could have been slowed down and flanged, or maybe they just pushed on the tape really hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
JBaker wrote:

Let It Be: Naked is always available. It doesn't need to be remastered.

It always bugs me when people say Spector's production of Let It Be is terrible. It's ill fitting to the music, but it's gorgeous. It just ain't The Beatles. Maybe they should release an album just of Phil Spector's overdubs?

I know the naked version is still there, I'm just pointing out that Let It be in the box set is the exact same version that many Beatles fans dislike.

And I think that the production not fitting the band at all DOES make it terrible production. Especially when you consider that the whole purpose of the Get Back record was to go bare bones. A lot of the songs on Let It Be are still great, but the two songs I pointed out (ATU and TLAWR) just sound ridiculous with all the overdubs. Listening to the WWF version of Across The Universe or the Naked TLAWR is like a completely different and amazing experience.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Let it Be is one of my favorite beatles albums to listen to because of the bare boneness of it.

It seems like four guys (and a piano player) getting together and doing what they do best, jamming out.

THe songs recorded off the rooftop are amazing. even the silly ones like One after 909 and Dig a Pony are great.

Speaking of dig a pony. I was suprised that that on the Let It Be Naked, they didnt include the original beging of the some that Spector took out.

If you listen to the actual concert it starts with "All I want is, I dig a pony"

you can hear it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnhPL0DjEKw

also, the lyrics on Long and Winding Road changed between Let It Be and Let It Be naked.

And I think it changed the meaning of the song.

ON let it be paul says "anyway, you'll never know the many ways I've tried"

on naked he says "Anyway you've always know the many ways I've tried"

i like the first better

wilsmith wrote:

boone
Vintage Newbie

That makes it inappropriate, not terrible. Just because Paul McCartney didn't like it doesn't mean that you can't like it. Just because it changed the context of the album as envisioned, doesn't automatically make it bad. I don't accept any of those explanations as a valid opinion, because it's not opinion, it's bias. It's fine if you don't like it, but if you don't like it simply because it deviated from the original concept of the album, I personally think that is a stupid reason. If everything that changed from it's orginal concept automatically sucked, there wouldn't be a lot of things to like.

They used an alternate take for the naked version of The Long and Winding Road because John fumbled through the bassline on the master take. I have no idea why nobody has asked Paul to overdub that bass track...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address