Laughing City
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
I liked the OC, especially the first 2 seasons. I watched the first couple of episodes of Gossip Girl. It didn't seem like the OC. The characters had no depth, the show had no heart, no soul, no good in it. I didn't give it much of a chance because I just can't bring myself to watch that one arrogant d-bag, I can't stand that kid. Did he ever get somekind of redeeming value to him or is he the same flat character?

You could have said the same about Luke after the first half of season 1 of the OC. That said, I've never seen Gossip Girl, so I have no idea.

No, no, Luke isn't in the same league as Chuck Bass. That should give you an idea about this Chuck Bass character. I had no problem with Luke. Luke was one of the reasons that made me give the OC a chance. I was expecting him to be written as the typical jock bully bad guy, and he was mostly, but he ran in and saved whatshisface in the fire. Plus he wasn't a main character. Gossip Girl seems to revolve around Chuck Bass. You can tell just from the commercials for it.

But, yeah if an Eisley song got on there, it'd be good. I was getting exposed to most new music from TV shows and commercials til Youtube came along. WB pulled my Eisley vid from there again hehe. I had the sound sped up and tuned a bit off with tons of reverb, echo and phase shifting to beat their autodetect system. I guess someone saw it. It sounded horrible anyway.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Lol, as you've said, you've never really watched the show, therefore, you don't really know anything about his character, or his role in the show. Advertising is often misleading.

Bass is not heartless. Colder than douche bag Humphrey, sure, but not heartless. Much more likable, and much more attractive. Blair's another story. Bitch is as cold as ice! The show also doesn't revolve around him, either. It revolves mainly around Blair, Serena and Dan. He's definitely more of a main character than Luke, though.

As for depth, there is very little. The again, it's a show about obscenely wealthy prep school kids from the upper east side of New York City. It's pretty true to life.

If you want Teen Drama with depth, rent the first 5 season of Beverly Hills, 90210. The OC is a total joke in comparison.

I think your real aversion to it is based off of the fact you are extremely attracted to Chuck and you don't wish to accept it. Wink
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Heh, more like jealous/envious. I never watched 90210, I was suprised I liked the OC.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

a)Absolutely love Chuck Bass and think Gossip Girl is brilliant. (It's bizarre that most of the followers of the show seem to be college-aged hipstery types and not tweenage girls.)

b)I forgot to say that I also think Eisley should try doing a cover. People just eat that kind of stuff up. I can't tell you how many times someone sent me the Nickel Creek cover of Toxic.

Lost at Forum

AGREED on both points!
Chuck is my favorite, and these are some of the covers I love, that either got me into the person or that I used to introduce my friends to them:

Tristan Prettyman: Toxic
Amy Kuney: every one of them (as she's quite famous for 'em on youtube?), but mostly Blower's Daughter..
Ingrid Michaelson: Creep
Lisa Hannigan: Air's Playground Love

I could go on, and on, and on, and on.

They should do it. Yep.

Funny enough, NOW everytime I listen to The Valley I desperately want Ingrid Michaelson and her kickass band girls Allie and Bess to cover it, 'cause they'd knock the "woaahhh" backing vocals and the rest of it out of the park. Seems like the girls made it a bit simpler for touring purposes. Kinda a bummer, no?
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

princesstripandfall wrote:

Funny enough, NOW everytime I listen to The Valley I desperately want Ingrid Michaelson and her kickass band girls Allie and Bess to cover it, 'cause they'd knock the "woaahhh" backing vocals and the rest of it out of the park. Seems like the girls made it a bit simpler for touring purposes. Kinda a bummer, no?

yea, i'm kinda bummed that it's not as heavy live at that part. i wish they'd drop the strings track on the beginning of the song and put in guitar riffs.

as for covers:

Zombie by The Cranberries
Feed The Tree by Belly
The Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd
Such Great Heights by The Postal Service but the Iron and Wine version is cool too
something by Tegan & Sara

That's Not My Name by The Ting Tings, afterall that song was written about their frustration over the music industry and how they got screwed over. Sherri could do the chorus, especially for the line "they call me hell, they call me stacy..." =P.

there was this local band in my area called Volair who were at one point Eisley influenced but never a knock off. i think eisley could pull off a cover of one of their songs. oh, and they once did a cover of marvelous things too.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
i wish they'd drop the strings track on the beginning of the song and put in guitar riffs.

I was thinking of something along those lines. Or even just having a keyboard on stage so someone could just play those lines live, not saying Stacy needs the whole keyboard stack rig, but that might be a good option should they need to call an Audible. Or even getting one of those guitars with the midi out to run to a synth with a simple pedal stomp to do the same? Wishful thinking???

Anyways, about covers, it's hard to find good ones that fit bands cause, baring a dramatic rearrangement it adds nothing if it's:

such a big song that it comes off like parody

neglects the talents of band members

doesn't give people a sense of what the band is actually like

not well known enough to actually draw in a significant number of new fans

Eisley is so loaded with talent at each position, you'd be hard pressed to find a song that has enough parts to be played and sung that suites them and is also a big hit.

Now they could rearrange a song to fit, that's the easy way to do it, but at a certain point if a song is unrecognizable to the people who originally liked it, it looses it's drawing power.

For me it's always got me looking back to older music so...

Rhainnon or Dreams by Fleetwood Mac makes sense to me.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:

Rhainnon or Dreams by Fleetwood Mac makes sense to me.

or the great gig in the sky by pink floyd =D

landslide by fleetwood mac would work too

but i really would like to hear them cover the cranberries, tegan and sara, or the ting tings. mostly though i'd prefer the great gig in the sky

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ That Pink Floyd title doesn't register with me, and I'm not the biggest follower of theirs, more of a "Greatest Hits" fan of theirs, but as far as talent and scope of the band that makes sense, I don't know about the gals doing those vocals, and if it would flatter their voices.

I didn't say Landslide cause the Dixie Chicks did it and scored huge with it not too long ago, and it's such a spare song, sort of cuts out half the band...

Cranberries have great songs, but Zombie being performed by a band from Ireland gave it that context. Plus it's so droll compared to most Eisley songs, but then again, maybe it would win them some fans in Isle's??? There are Cranberries songs I like better, but I don't think there are bigger Cranberries hits. Linger and Dreams are the only I can imagine being big enough to even be recognized as covers.

Ting Tings and Tegan and Sara have good songs, but the hits are such departures from what Eisley does, plus the White Stripes nailed Walking With the Ghost already, and I think that was the biggest Tegan and Sara hit. Not that they didn't have other good songs, but if you cover a good song that no one knows cept that bands fans, people start thinking its an original, which defeats the purpose, unless you're a big band trying to give a little band exposure.

And really, that Ting Tings song just makes me think of Take Me Out buy Franz Ferdinand which was a rip off of That's All by Genesis...

And even though I can't stand this song, if they did Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer it might be a good tactic.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Fleetwood's the obvious choice since they're madly in love with them. And Beatles songs almost seem like they're made to be covered. A lot of people think that Beatles covers are sacrilegious, but I think the Flying Lizards, Joe Cocker and She & Him have done well.

Ooh, perhaps one of The Carpenters' darker songs. Though, Sonic Youth already took Superstar.

Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
Ooh, perhaps one of The Carpenters' darker songs. Though, Sonic Youth already took Superstar.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think The Carpenters would be a great choice for them to cover. I'm sure Boyd wouldn't object, either. Solitaire, Rainy Days and Mondays, Goodbye to Love. Classics. My brother actually pointed out that Stacy's piano piece for "Ambulance" is very reminiscent of The Carpenters stuff. It's a perfect match.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

A Beatles song would suite them well, it just sucks that there've been so many overs (a few entire albums and films dedicated to it even) that I don't know how that will help their profile any...

And Sadly, there was a Fleetwood Mac cover album back in the 90's anyone remember it besides me?

from the Rollingstone Archives:

"Rumours" Tribute Available Now
tribute album available

Posted Mar 28, 1998 12:00 AM

The long-awaited tribute CD, Legacy: A Tribute to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, has finally arrived.|

Call it a coincidence, but after Fleetwood Mac's reunion tour last year, a group of artists, including Sister Hazel, Shawn Colvin, Jewel and Elton John, recorded their favorite Mac tunes that were originally recorded and featured on the band's multiplatinum, record breaking 1977 album, Rumours.

While Mick Fleetwood served as executive producer on the project, all 11 songs were re-recorded with each artist's personal spin. The album was released by Atlantic Records on March 24. (Ari Bendersky)

Track listing for Legacy: A Tribute to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours:

"Second Hand News" - Tonic
"Dreams" - The Corrs
"Never Going Back Again" - Matchbox 20
"Don't Stop" - Elton John
"Go Your Own Way" - Cranberries
"Songbird" - Duncan Sheik
"The Chain" - Shawn Colvin
"You Make Loving Fun" - Jewel
"I Don't Want To Know" - Goo Goo Dolls
"Oh Daddy" - Tallulah
"Gold Dust Woman" - Sister Hazel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it doesn't get much more mid to late 90's than that... Laughing

And which Beatles song???

The choice of song is the critical factor.

Now if we want to go for a departure, but a song ripe for reintroduction:

Elastica - Connection I'd take that over the Ting Tings cover.

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Someone mentioned Rihannon above? Yess.
Brooke White covers that, it's more than impressive.
I'd think with Stacy's love for Stevie/FM it would be a good thing
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

is eisley covered any pink floyd song = heaven for me.

i always thought they should do a full movie soundtrack a la' jack Johnson or simon and garfunkle.

it seems to me like it would fit their M.O. and it would get some exposure for sure.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

If they could handle it, I think a cover of The Beatles' If I Needed Someone would be pretty good.

Also, I have a weird desire to hear Stacy sing Like a Prayer.

or:
-You Get What You Give by New Radicals (maybe minus the part about kicking Hanson's ass in.)
-Waterfalls by TLC
-Radar by Britney Spears

Tons of pop songs out there are actually well-written (but still very basic) and just need a little creativity boost that Eisley could potentially bring.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>