Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

ok i have tried everything in my power skill range to get this video to work.

i have the raw flv and it works great. but everytime i convert it, it works like crap.

anyone want to ahve a go?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
norad
Vintage Newbie

I got a .flv video from a link a page or two back and it converted to .mp4 just fine. Cool But I really only wanted it for the screen caps (which look pretty low quality). So you might as well just wait for the HD version. Smile
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Saellys wrote:
You want a plot? Slap on your best set of headphones, close your eyes and imagine your own plot in your head. The music is the art, not the video! The video is just a secondary means of getting the art out there to the masses.

I expect a lot of filmmakers, and probably a few musicians too, would take umbrage with your assertion that a music video is not art.

Well then, let me rephrase that -- in MOST cases, the music is the PRIMARY art form and the video in MOST cases is the means of promotion.

Yeah, I understand the promotional purposes of music videos, but I don't see why that should preclude making an effort at creating a unique, interesting, and meaningful stand-alone video, or expectations of such from fans of a particular musician.

I think this video is unique and interesting. Perhaps not as interesting as past efforts. Perhaps a much smaller budget will have that effect. Perhaps they should just get Stacy's husband and his friends to shoot the next one as that Silver Springs was so well received? I don't care, either way. Happy to have the latest, even if not the greatest, Eisley video.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Took me until now to get it to play on mtvu.com, I ended up refreshing the page a few times and eventually it loaded.

It's an OK video, and only OK. Even for low-budget, they didn't stretch themselves in trying to develop a theme or tell a story or much of anything. That's the down side. On the plus side, everyone looks amazing - those DuPrees clean up real good. Smile Stacy @ 1:28 could launch a thousand ships. I kinda like the muted colors. I didn't know Chauntelle sang those bits at the end, and I like how Sherri squishes her nose against the microphone @ 3:08 & 3:16. Very Happy

And hey - any Eisley video is a good video!

And here's a new Warning Sign You Know Too Much About Eisley, if you instantly recognize the photos Stacy is looking at. (guilty here!) Laughing

I also couldn't help thinking the whole time Sherri is walking through the woods that she was getting eaten by mosquitoes....yeouch.

Last edited by grain thrower on Fri May 13, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Saellys wrote:
You want a plot? Slap on your best set of headphones, close your eyes and imagine your own plot in your head. The music is the art, not the video! The video is just a secondary means of getting the art out there to the masses.

I expect a lot of filmmakers, and probably a few musicians too, would take umbrage with your assertion that a music video is not art.

Well then, let me rephrase that -- in MOST cases, the music is the PRIMARY art form and the video in MOST cases is the means of promotion.

Yeah, I understand the promotional purposes of music videos, but I don't see why that should preclude making an effort at creating a unique, interesting, and meaningful stand-alone video, or expectations of such from fans of a particular musician.

I think this video is unique and interesting. Perhaps not as interesting as past efforts. Perhaps a much smaller budget will have that effect. Perhaps they should just get Stacy's husband and his friends to shoot the next one as that Silver Springs was so well received? I don't care, either way. Happy to have the latest, even if not the greatest, Eisley video.

You don't need a big budget to make something creative.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That's great and all, but songs make a difference. Smarter is a tricky song for a band that doesn't want to go over the top and totally one direction, the way the music unabashedly does. It could have easily been this, which closer to what you called it initially or it could have been this
I like that they went for subtlety. It follows the vibes of Telescope Eyes and Invasion, with the Sci-fi/ Horror subtext, without being ridiculous with it. They're down to earth musicians after all, and it portrays that.

But as far as break-up videos, it's hard to to this one

As far as regret videos, there's this one

that's what happens when you have a budget and a song that inspires the video content to some degree. You can't please everybody all the time.

On the other hand...
This is one of my favorite low budget videos, and it REALLY fits the song.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
Took me until now to get it to play on mtvu.com, I ended up refreshing the page a few times and eventually it loaded.

It's an OK video, and only OK. Even for low-budget, they didn't stretch themselves in trying to develop a theme or tell a story or much of anything. That's the down side. On the plus side, everyone looks amazing - those DuPrees clean up real good. Smile Stacy @ 1:28 could launch a thousand ships. I kinda like the muted colors. I didn't know Chauntelle sang those bits at the end,
Me neither. Are those words in the lyric booklet? I seem to remember some vocals/words that are kinda buried and wondering what they were. Maybe the Valley has this type of thing, too?
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
grain thrower wrote:

It's an OK video, and only OK. Even for low-budget, they didn't stretch themselves in trying to develop a theme or tell a story or much of anything. That's the down side. On the plus side, everyone looks amazing - those DuPrees clean up real good. Smile Stacy @ 1:28 could launch a thousand ships. I kinda like the muted colors. I didn't know Chauntelle sang those bits at the end,
Me neither. Are those words in the lyric booklet? I seem to remember some vocals/words that are kinda buried and wondering what they were. Maybe the Valley has this type of thing, too?

They are indeed in the booklet:

I found out the hard way this time
That you were right
And this was all wrong

That's how it's written, the way she sings splits up the first line "I found out" then "the hard way this time" around a Sherri "I'm smarter than you" interjection.

Cool to discover these kinds of nuances even after hearing it 50 times.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

someone always has to show the ok go video.

simply because it got millions of views doesnt make it creative.

its a gimmick at best. and not very exciting to watch for more than 10 seconds. that doesnt make it creative.

they just hit youtube with the right gimmick at the right time.

but hey not everyone can be rebecca black.

but thats just my opinion.

I am in a really bad mood so this came out way more cynical than it should. Ill wait for hannha to respond with something that makes sense, has meaning and shows me up. then i will say she is right. its kind of a thing we have

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
I am in a really bad mood so this came out way more cynical than it should. Ill wait for hannha to respond with something that makes sense, has meaning and shows me up. then i will say she is right. its kind of a thing we have

Laughing No, you're right. It was a gimmick then, and it's even more of a gimmick now that they've turned all their videos since then into choreography extravaganzas, trying to duplicate the flash-in-the-pan popularity they enjoyed with the first one. But it was also made with $0, and it captured people's attention. I can't imagine "Smarter" capturing anyone's attention, apart from the usual "Whoa, she's hot!" reactions.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

Why did you have to drag me into it??? Laughing

And I take up for you a lot, you ingrate Razz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I can't imagine "Smarter" capturing anyone's attention, apart from the usual "Whoa, she's hot!" reactions.

wait, thats bad? Wink

thats a shame too because sherri looks absolutely fantastic in the video.

though it seems these days she rarely doesnt

wilsmith wrote:

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Smokin' hot!! Very Happy
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I loved seeing Stacy every time, and the full band was nice at the end.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Boring.
Looked very nice though.
Nothing about it really drew me in. Don't particularly love the song in the first place, though.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>