Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

johnip wrote:
Heh, mine too! I ripped it to my computer and haven't seen it since... Strange.

Bonus Weirdness, it was not long after I redeemed my DL of the album from MerchNOW and put it on my Mp3 player that I lost track of my cd...

...getting kinda creeped out now...

Did they Manchurian Candidate us into getting rid of our cds so we have to buy new ones??? The music is pretty hypnotic after all...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

so i listened to the album on headphones last night for the first time ever, and wow, there's a lot of stuff i missed! certain instruments and vocal arrangements. actually, i can't tell if it's chauntelle or stacy harmonizing in some places.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
boone
Vintage Newbie

It's pretty amazing how versatile their voices can be. Sherri is pretty underrated in that she can pretty much like Stacy if she really wanted to. The differences in their voices are more philosophical than anything else, really.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I think there is a difference in their control/ technique mainly.

Sherri has more control of her wind and her head voice. even when she talks she uses her upper register. Sometimes it seems like her inexhaustable wind makes it sound like she's restraining/ wrstling with control a great deal more than the others.

stacy sings in her lower regiter more often and even talks in a breathier manner than sherri, although her voice is naturally high as well. she just as much range as Sherri, but uses less wind, and sometimes doesn't seem to have the sustain that sherri's voice has. her vibrato is very pronounced at this point and gives her voice so much character. It sets her lead vocals apart, making her sound much older than she is, in a good way.

Chauntelle has range like all her sisters, but maybe more than the others, her vibrato and the timbre of her voice portray affective emotions. She and Christie are able to communicate so much in their vocals, my emotional resonse comes pretty close to anguish. Chauntelle's voice has depth like she's singing with harmonic overtones because of how she vocalizes.

Christie's voice is unique in that her vibrato is unobtrusive and her tone i so warm. She has the range of her sisters, but uses it selectively. She can convey the lower register maturity of Stacy, but also the long upper register expressiveness of Sherri (I wasn't prepared live).

Needless to say, they all have a gift that we are fortunate enough nto be able to partake of.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

After 10 years, I still can't tell any of their voices apart. The only reason I know who sings certain parts of some songs is because I remember who sang it when I saw them play it live. Razz
boone
Vintage Newbie

What I mean by "philosophical" is that, specifically Sherri and Stacy, have two totally different approaches to how their voices should sound.

Stacy is pretty much a perfectionist. Apparently she agonizes over her vocals; I remember Boyd mentioning something about recording word-by-word if it was necessary.

Sherri is a fan of singers like Jeremy Enigk and Jeff Mangum, who have unorthodox voices and singing styles, and she seems to be interested in intensity and roughness over perfection. It always irks me a little bit when people complain about her voice as though she's not capable; it's more that she's not interested. But I don't expect that to be everybody's cup of tea, either.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Thanks for expanding that thought. It explains the issues with breath & sustain a lot better actually. The modern word by word vocals track pastiche method doesn't leave a lot of room for holding notes & slurring one line into another.

For anyone who has never heard Ryan O'neal from Sleeping At Last, I don't know if there is any other vocalist, outside of her siblings, that I would argue is a bigger contemporary influence on Stacy's vocals, or so it would seem given she's a big fan and has collaborated with them.

I think Enigk is a throughpoint across the board for the Duprees and many of their musical peers (and fans). Latter-day Enigk (the Rising Tide forward) is far more polished vocally than in the past. He started in Geddy Lee land on the Rising Tide but settled in to something resembling more of a Peter Gabriel vocal style as time went on (starting with the Fire Theft).

Now that you mention it, I can totally hear Sherri singing In Circles, Pillars, or the Sharks Own Private...

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:

Now that you mention it, I can totally hear Sherri singing In Circles

YES! oh man, they need to record a full band cover of that. can we petition this?

boone
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Thanks for expanded that thought. It explains the issues with breath & sustain a lot better actually. The modern word by word vocals track pastiche method doesn't leave a lot of room for holding notes & slurring one line into another.

For anyone who hasn't ever heard Ryan Oneal from Sleeping At Last, I don't know if there is any other vocalist outside of her siblings that I would argue is a bigger contemporary influence on Stacy's vocals, or so it would seem given she's a big fan and has collaborated with them.

I think Enigk is a throughpoint across the board for the Duprees and many of their musical peers (and fans). Latter day enigk (the rising tide forward) is far more polished vocally than in the past. He started in Geddy Lee land on the Rising Tide but settled in to something resembling more of a Peter Gabriel vocal stile as time went on.

Now that you mention it, I can totally hear Sherri singing In Circles, Pillars or the Sharks Own Private...

I definitely can't vouch for her recording word-by-word, but I do know that if you pay super, super, super close attention, you can hear her vocals patched in line-by-line every once and a while. It sounds like she's singing over herself from one line to another, not unlike when her and Sherri trade off on vocals. There's nothing wrong with that type of recording (especially if you're Curtis Mayfield in the 90s) if you're a wizard who is able to see how the parts fit together, which I'd consider Stacy to be.

I do think it's interesting the dichotomy of Sherri writing tightly composed songs and recording her vocals in a kind of seat-of-your pants sort of fashion; and Stacy writing songs that are made up of layered patterns and loops and then making sure her vocals are dead on. I think it's most apparent on this album, and it makes my brain very happy.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

boone wrote:
What I mean by "philosophical" is that, specifically Sherri and Stacy, have two totally different approaches to how their voices should sound.

Stacy is pretty much a perfectionist. Apparently she agonizes over her vocals; I remember Boyd mentioning something about recording word-by-word if it was necessary.

Sherri is a fan of singers like Jeremy Enigk and Jeff Mangum, who have unorthodox voices and singing styles, and she seems to be interested in intensity and roughness over perfection. It always irks me a little bit when people complain about her voice as though she's not capable; it's more that she's not interested. But I don't expect that to be everybody's cup of tea, either.

The more and more I consider their vocals (and I probably mentally analyze it more than is needed!), I came to this same conclusion: It's definitely a stylistic thing that not everyone immediately likes.

Sherri has a very versatile, strong voice. When she sings out and it's "rough" or nasally, it's a choice. Stacy's early influences seemed to be groups like Radiohead, Kashmir, and Bjork...and you can tell by the way she sings.

I agree, though, Sherri can definitely sound like Stacy...I think easier than the other way around. Good example is "Go Away." I remember the first live video we had of "Go Away," I think I had to pay attention closely to figure out who was doing what (especially during the "I am holding you" part! BTW, listening again before making this comment reminded me of how great that song is!).

Point being: Great analysis (everyone talking about it) of their vocals. I luckily like both styles of singing, but my favorite songs are when they effortlessly blend their vocals together.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I remember when Sherri was getting ragged on in a thread here a couple of years back, as far as her vocal performances, and to some degree, her songwriting. And then, it just happened that Stacy got sick and couldn't play their Brewtones show that they'd been talking up, and Sherri Sung Everything. It was very redemptive, and seemed slightly like a moment of sisterly love, like "You go show em'!" Maybe that didn't work at all at the time, but I felt Vindicated.

Marverlous Things, with leads as sung by Sherri, and Chauntelle singing Stacy's harmony on the chorus, live. Mr. Green

I LOVE Stacy's voice and all her contributions on keys &/ or guitar, but I LOVE what everyone shares. I Root for them All.

boone
Vintage Newbie

It got pretty popular to rag on Sherri around the time of the Zombaspora (unfortunately also probably the hardest time in her life), and now she seems more appreciated for her art and clothes and hair, but I still love her. Yeah, she scoops notes, and sings her voice right out, but that's exactly what she wants.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It just dawned on me that the typical criticisms about Sherri over the years are the exact same ones people have had about Taylor Swift...

[Insert Fry meme here.]

That is exponentially lame. Seriously, exponentially. To the 4th dimension of lameness even.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
It just dawned on me that the typical criticisms about Sherri over the years are the exact same ones people have had about Taylor Swift...

[Insert Fry meme here.]

That is exponentially lame. Seriously, exponentially. To the 4th dimension of lameness even.

??? i think sherri can actually sing well though

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Man In The Moon, if memory serves me correctly, you're usually on the Pro-Sherri side, like me, and Boone, and Antrider, and I'm sure there were more of us than that... so we're all about Sherri's talent. But the people always throwing her under the bus talk like she lost her ability to sing once they finished tracking Room Noises or something... Confused

I'm not mad at them, but seriously, we gotta bring this back

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>