abductee
Laughing Citizen

BK wrote:
abductee wrote:
BK saved my life once.

true story.
Yeah. How does it go again?

mmm I can't remember all the details.

but it had something to do with a pie eating competition.

Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1640 | Location: California....
AustintheFlowerKing
Sea Post King

1. Wal-Mart carries censored music, but not censored video games or censored movies. They also have been reported to have the worst employee privacy of any U.S. corporation (Forbes, I think). I'm not familar enough with KMart, there's not one near me.

2. I think the 16-ish through early twenties demographic is the main part of the Eisley market. This demographic will most likely connect with the music and band the easiest.

3. A little more male than female (that's just because I saw the poll)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
"You may say I'm a Dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon
librariman
Sea Post King

1- I haven't seen much of this argument so far on this forum but many people view the monolithic retail stores as inherently evil. I worked for Borders and Target and would agree that these type of companies will always be forced to pay their employees poorly and bow to market forces rather than stand for principles. There was a time when growing retail chains could offer their dedicated employees a chance at a lower middle-class lifestyle but now it isn't really possible. I think in general to fear these type of stores is a little paranoid. There isn't anything more sinister at work than money...which always brings out the bad in people. The most shocking things about these stores is how they choose products. They would probably pick up Eisley because there is a known entity (warner) willing to push the product and it will sell because it is good and because marketing works. However, is all art to be a marketable product? Borders now chooses books by category management a techniqe that first found success in grocery stores. Essentially the best distributor in a particular market determines how a shelf of product will be stocked. So instead of 55 shampoos that are all the same, some of which collect dust on the shelf (costing the store money) is now reduced to 20 products, all determined by the biggest group in the market (like proctor&gamble or someone) thus saving money for the store and the customer. It's great with shampoo and oranges. It's horrible with books and music. It means that a book that isn't great to all people, that doesn't sell quickly, ect. gets dropped. It means that the publishers who sell the blockbusters determine what selection we get to see. It is argued that you can get whatever you want online so it doesn't matter if they do this, but those without access to that resource are forced to browse and buy only that which the biggest competitors tell them to buy. That is the problem with bowing to these type of retailers. Of course, not shelving Eisley there would not solve the problem. And I left Borders after a failed unionizing attempt to work in libraries where theoretically we don't bow as easily to the populace, and give them what they don't want along with what the majority wants. I just wanted to throw out why many paranoid potential Eisley fans would want to buy them online instead of Wal-Mart.
Wink

2- I have to admit I felt old and washed up (at 26) when I first discovered the age of the band, but now I obsess over them because I want to spawn intelligent rockn'roll artists of my own.
I think the college scene is the most likely demographic although I still have hope for the high school age. I just think that the melancholy sound will suck in anyone who is going through life change with dramatic emotional energy. Years of counseling almost prevented me from liking Eisley....*grin*

3- Gender..hmmm....I've never thought of musical taste as gender specific in anyplace but a middle school. I said I liked NKOTB just so girls would talk to me, but once I heard Hendrix and Zepplin I had to talk to only dudes until the girls got into guitars. High school seemed like the equalizer though. That's what is so great about homeschoolers. No one tells them that they have to fit a mold like being mean to their siblings or liking only one kind of music...
anyway....I think that Eisley will draw a pretty even gender demographic. I got to hear them before seeing pictures, but I can still admit that visuals are compelling. I would hate to judge music on a visual though. I think I found the whole family dynamic more compelling than a hot-girl thing, but that is probably age related.

Wow....I'm at "work". I should probably stop writing this essay. But first I'm going to start a forum for eisleyblog addicts...

-dan

adamjk
Sea Post King

1. Should Eisley's LP be in Walmart/K-Mart, and why?

I like to think I don't have trailor-trash taste in music, but I probabloy have bought the majority of my CDs at WalMart. There's one right by my school. The fact that they're everywhere - it's just convinient.
------------
2. In terms of age, who is Eisley's market? Support your opinion
best you can? (like, you know, 2 - 80 or whatever)

I'm guessing between 14 - 28 (ish) I mean, it's not Michelle Branch or worse Britney Spears, but it's also not, I dunno, some more mature old people music. I suppose this answer is completely unhelpful.
------------
3. What would you guess the percentage of guys to girls to be? Give your
reasoning. (I guess I'm tipping the hat since you'll be able to see the %)

I would have thought it'd be more girls, but while posting links/info about the band, I was surprised to get a bunch of "Yeah, I love them" responses from guys I didn't expect it from. This was cool. Also, these poll results show more guys.

I'm not totally sure. I think there'd be less guys had they not toured with like Coldplay and Snow Patrol and whatnot...
Joined: 17 Jan 2005 | Posts: 59 | Location: silver spring, md
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
breader
Sea Post King

Eisley's market would definitely include a great deal of the shoppers at your local Walmart. Up here in Canada, Walmart is for the middle aged mother/family who want to save some money for her/their family. Yes, it's cheap, ugly, and it represents horrible things but Walmart would sell thousands of your CD's, the second any of those mothers hear Eisley's music.

I would say Eisley has two distinct markets. Teen -> 25 or so and the Mid 30's -> 40 range. Teens love their style, you can see that here on the boards. As for the 30-40 range, I would refer to my previous answer as to why this is. It's good, clean music that's not hard on those old people's ears. This is hard to find, and I know that my father would be on this bandwagon pretty quick.

I'd say 50/50, despite our numbers here. Mellow music generally finds its way to the female population and Eisley definitely has a great deal of that type of music. The three girls create a HUGE appeal to teen girls everywhere and to mothers as well.

The three girls also create a huge appeal to people like me. I <8 Chauntelle!

EyesOnly
Sea Post King

Wow. There seems to be more male than female fans..? That's a surprise to me! Shocked
Joined: 01 Feb 2005 | Posts: 4 | Location: British Columbia, Canada
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
truckpoetry
Golly, Poster

No - Wal-Mart = death of music industry.
Target - not much better
K-Mart - there are still K-marts?
Amazon, Sam Goody, etc. - sure. (and don't forget bandmecca- lol)

14-29 based on my show attendance observations, though plenty of mid-to-older (35+) fans as well

I'd say 60-40 male-female - no reasoning, just based on observation. Also has to do with general thoughts on music purchasing - males tend to be more likely to buy non-radio-overplayed material, which Eisley falls into. That's not a slight on women, for sure, just an observation of my sales records.

Cheers, and HTH,
Cameron

If you are IN a band, visit http://www.bandmecca.com/ to sell indie music merch, etc.
If you are THAT bored, visit http://www.truckpoetry.net/
OK, and now I've got http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=truckpoetry

-- "If you all can return to Venus, are you going back?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Talithatown
Sea Post King

1. yes. although usually more marketed bands sell in walmart, i think that eisley would do very good there. like someone said, these stores are easy to get to so people wont have to work so hard to get them. I think there is going to be a lot of demand on this LP

2. i think Eisley attracts a large range of ages. I think most of the market though is from 12- 30. I think that it would really attract the younger ages(ten to eighteen) even more if more people knew about them. If there would be more marketing i think the response from this age group would be a lot larger. The problem is a lot of younger people don't know how to find bands like this on their own.

3. I think that right now the split is 50/50 between girls and guys but if they were a big famous band (i hope:)) i think they would definately lean more to the girls side. I think a girl who isn't really into music would still love them anyway. Guys who aren't really into music (ya know what i mean?) somtimes hear a girly voice and automatically think its girly music.

In general, I think that the response of people right now does not neccassarily reflect what the response will be when they really get their name out there. Right now i think their fans are real music lovers and i think that when their music is sold to people who don't have to work so hard to find out about them, they will sell more to girls and more to they younger ages(even if that is not what it is like now).
e-mo-tion-al
Sea Post King

1. i don't really care - i'm glad that i was able to pre-order the full length via my favorite swiss record store Very Happy

2. i'm affected by the poll - but i thought they are about 20yo

3. i somehow thought there'd be more girls (60 to 40 or whatever)- but it seems that i'm wrong, and i don't really have a reason why i thought this way - just a feeling... Wink

Bluetbadbullschittläärloufmagerquark
----
d sonne geit im weschte uf
----
mier hei ned pennet aber si wäg däm no lang ned wach
----
Joined: 29 Jan 2005 | Posts: 10 | Location: Schüpfheim, Switzerland
librariman
Sea Post King

truckpoetry wrote:
No - Wal-Mart = death of music industry.

Hmm...I'm all for the death of the music industry...at least as we know it.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I saw Eisley in Wal-Mart last night. They only had one copy. But I took the one copy and put it up on the higher rack in front of Destiny's Child.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
shawn
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
I saw Eisley in Wal-Mart last night. They only had one copy. But I took the one copy and put it up on the higher rack in front of Destiny's Child.

Don't do that!!! Some poor music section clerk had to straighten the shelf out after you did that! This coming form someone who works in a record shop. The intention was good, though, especially since that new Destiny's Child is pretty awful.

Okay:
1) Why not Walmart or the Big K? I mean, I nearly pooped my pants when I saw At The Drive-In's "Relationship Of Command" sitting on a Walmart shelf a few years ago, and I think they're a lot less accessible on a listener level than Eisley (despite they are still one of the most amazing bands that have ever existed). If it'll get Eisley out to a larger audiance, why not? I've gotten over seeing bands I adore being sold in odd places next to Chingy, Tim McGraw, and Linkin Park. It took some doing to get over the "they're-all-mine-and-you-can't-have-them" attitude, but I now welcome it. Although I really hate Walmart for personal political reasons.

2) I don't really think the age group matters. Like Depeche Mode once said, "People are people." I understand the label wants to know what demographic to cater to, but anyone worth their advertising clout should know how to promote in a way that it'll hit all age groups. And sometimes, simple word of mouth will work wonders. Look at a lot of the bands in the early to mid 90's.

3) See #2's answer.

So, did I pass?

Trying to rid you from my poems"
-The Decemberists
bts
Golly, Poster

boyd wrote:
MARKET RESEARCH

Interestingly, when WB polled me - ("you're out there in the scene...on
tours, so your opinion definitely counts...you probably have a better feel
than us at this moment), they thought there'd be way more girls... and
were thinking 16 - 24 bracket. I said, "I think you're generally ok with the
16-24...but I know there are tons of older fans... like Coldplay fans. And,
I'm almost positive I'm right about a 50/50 split - guys and girls..."

Anyway, I wonder if you could put on your thinking/awareness/best
guess hats. Weren't there several threads where you guys were
expressing your hope that Eisley's CD should be available in Walmart?
Can we find them?

All of this relates to which stores should WB put Eisley's records in and
how many sku's. The wider the age demographic and distribution of male
to female, etc. the more they have to manufacture, etc. It's pretty much
guess-work. Be conservative... honest... think about ways to make your
guesswork be as acurate as possible. Perhaps we can poll forum
members.

1. I would probably stay away from Wal-Mart. I don't like how Wal-Mart does business -- getting rid of competition and all. (And our economy needs competition)

2. I'd say the majority falls somewhere between 16-21.

3. I'm not saying there are a lot of "girly men" out there, as Arnold would say, but I think there's more male fans of the band. It's close, though. Maybe 55-45.

kajqrd
Golly, Poster

1. I think Eisley should be (almost) everywhere. So why not Walmart?

2. I think it would probably be 12-35

3. I think your fanbase now probably is mostly male because a lot of it is based on the internet. But if you base it solely on who would like the music I'd say it's probably 50/50.
Joined: 19 Feb 2005 | Posts: 743 | Location: Herning, Denmark
Cindy
Sea Post King

1. I'm sure this is much too late, but I've heard of walmart ruining businesses for all the little guys, like local record shops and stuff because they can't compete with all the cheap things walmart sells, and that sucks. I've been in cities where only walmarts dominate, and in cities where there are just a bunch of local shops around, and I definitely prefer the local shops. I'm not so sure how solid my opinion is because I don't really know much. Exposure is great, but not at the expense of small businesses that really need it.

2. I think 15-30 because I can imagine a lot of younger people listening, but I've seen a lot of older people around this board.

3. I imagine my female friends liking Eisley a lot more than my male friends, but there are more males than females on this board, so 50-50.