54%
 54%  [ 380 ]
Female
45%
 45%  [ 317 ]
Total Votes : 697

jasoncatudal
Sea Post King

I'd say your demographic is early teens to late forties. Because kids any earlier probably aren't listening to anything and folks a little older are listening to stuff a little more traditional.

I think the LP should be in Wal-Mart simply because it's the largest retailer in America of music.

And as for gender, it's hard to say. Girl bands are popular with girls obviously because they have girl singers but they are perhaps even more popular with guys because males like to hear female singing. You have a wider appeal than if say the band had male singers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aJulia
Sea Post King

walmart is evil as far as i'm concerned. you'll reach a bigger audience, but only by consorting with the devil.
there's just something that seems to wreck the experience of getting a new album when you buy it from walmart. it cheapens the potential love you could foster between you and the music. i don't think i've ever bought a cd from there that i appreciated with the exception of gifts for other people who have no taste in music whatsoever. if you're an indie band, i doubt the audience you're going for goes to walmart or kmart to buy their music anyway, so it wouldn't be worth it, most likely.

As far as audience age goes, I'd say 13-30.

TheLuckless
Sea Post King

I would say go to Walmart but not K-mart. Target would be good too.

I am 14 years old and I know a bunch of people at muy church listen to Eisley.

Acutally before they were famous my best friends older brother would listen to them in cofee shops which is how I heard about them!

I have a different version of Telescope Eyes then is on the Room Noises CD. I don't know how I got it but I like it a lot better then the one on the CD. I don't know when it came outh though. Oh well.
Silvestre
Golly, Poster

thesinisterpenguin wrote:
1. that doesn't affect me...as long as its on amazon.co.uk

2. judging from the forum.....15-30(ish)

3. about 50% each.

yeah......hmm....ok...then...bye.

agreed!...it's even cheaper on amazon...
but the percentage is kinda manly Very Happy

Vintage Newbie

Silvestre wrote:
but the percentage is kinda manly Very Happy

i posted right after boyd...i couldn't have known.. Laughing
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

TheLuckless wrote:

I have a different version of Telescope Eyes then is on the Room Noises CD. I don't know how I got it but I like it a lot better then the one on the CD. I don't know when it came outh though. Oh well.

It is most likely the version off the Laughing City EP which was there first major release on WB. But it also could have been there even older version which was independently released on EP2.
to_the_end
Sea Post King

MARKET RESEARCH

1. well...i have no idea what they are - im not american :/ [sorry]

2. anybody. i love them, im 16. my mum heard them a second ago and said "wow" - she's 49.

3. well theres more guys than girls... 60% to 40% maybe?

jaytee
Sea Post King

i would say that the true demographic is about 14-25, and 60% - 40%. At each of the shows they've done in Lawrence or KC, they've always looked like there were more guys than girls. but thats also the fans from the headliner and such. but the demographic isnt binding, because obviously there's a lot of 40somethings listening to Eisley too. my mom likes them, and thinks weston is cute. (..scary.)
Sea Post King

Walmart and K-Mart are excellent places to sell Eisley's CD. It's a place teens and young adults outside of big cities would be shopping.

Age range of fans: I suspect at this point more listeners would be 13 to 25, but I believe as they get more exposure their fan base will become just as great or greater in the 25 to 50 range. Their appeal is very broad.

Gender: I think the fans may be slightly more male than female, because when I play Eisley for my female friends, they say, "What's not to like?" and respond in a less emotional way, but when I play Eisley for my male friends, they say, "I really, really like them. I really enjoyed that!" I also found myself getting emotional while the CD was on in the background during a conversation, while my wife and a female friend barely noticed and were surprised I was so moved by it. I think there's something about the female voices and female vulnerability in the sound, that gets under the skin of male listeners.
Joined: 25 Mar 2005 | Posts: 15 | Location: Garwood, NJ USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
adm
Sea Post King

boyd wrote:
MARKET RESEARCH

1. Should Eisley's LP be in Walmart/K-Mart, and why?

I vote no. I find mixed feeling with Wal-Mart's stance on selling music. On one hand, I never want a radio edit, much less an album full of them. I have not bought music from them, as I have always sought to own the versions intended by artists, in the first place. On the other hand, Wal-Mart does sell a lot of music. I still say no.

boyd wrote:

2. In terms of age, who is Eisley's market? Support your opinion
best you can? (like, you know, 2 - 80 or whatever)

15-25. This very board has a pretty good idea, but I do think that with the more exposure the band is sure to get, the range will extend quite broadly. Older or younger. The music doesn't strike me as a quality that would shun a demographic due to age. Well done!

boyd wrote:

3. What would you guess the percentage of guys to girls to be? Give your
reasoning. (I guess I'm tipping the hat since you'll be able to see the %)

70 - 30 in favor of boys, off the top of my head (though your estimate of the 50/50 shot is truly uplifting,) but admittedly, I am not entirely sure of a good answer, as I've yet to be to a show and, thus, have not seen the general girl-to-boy count in my town. I think it's possibly more balanced due to examples we're shown by, say, Dashboard Confessional or John Mayer shows. I'm talking 90% girl there. I partially base my claim on the number of cute chicks in the band, coupled with a music that doesn't necessarily cater to a particular gender. Again, well done!

Generally my tremendously detailed research in this field has yielded an accurate, sort-of-math equation, what goes something like so:

A + B(X)/C

Where:
A is - Band comprised mostly of attractive females
B is - Quality writing and perfomance, live and recorded
X is - Positive or negative integer representing quality of stage presence
C is - Gender-neutral songs

is equal to:

Allowance of boys to be into the music, while not only avoiding persecution, but also allowing them open, comfortable sharing with friends and family of any possible sway. [Comment deleted for possible inaccuracies. -adm]

There's an equation for girls too, but really, it's sort of irrelevant in the persecution gig. If a punk rock girl likes the occassional Michelle Branch, nobody will blame her. It's music made for girls. Sort of like clothes. Girls can wear boy clothes and look fine. Boys cannot generally wear girl clothes and survive any other day than Halloween.

Anyway, I dunno if this thread is even relevant today, but it was fun to write. I only recently discovered this establishment of music*. Like 20 seconds ago, honest**. Either way I am certainly glad I did, as this is incredibly refreshing music***. There's more to say, but that's for elsewhere. You all know you're good at what you do.

Thanks!

* True
** Not so true
*** See footnote 1 (one) (heretoforever referred to as '*')

Last edited by adm on Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
kajqrd
Golly, Poster

adm wrote:

Allowance of boys to be into the music, while not only avoiding persecution, but also allowing them open, comfortable sharing with friends and family of any possible sway. Well, maybe not the death-metal guys, but it certainly would be entertaining to try...

I have actually heard a death metal version of I Wasn't Prepared... So I wouldn't be so quick to rule death metal fans out. Especially since I'm one of them Wink

adm
Sea Post King

Interesting... And duly noted! Thanks.
noblepresumption
Sea Post King

1: yes please have it be at walmart. where i live, the nearest place to get your cd is a barnes and nobles, 30 minutes away. it would be most convenient and increase your fan numbers. i found eisley randomly through purevolume, was obsessed, heard it overhead at barnes and nobles, took a chance and bought the cd, ADORED IT, and now alllll my friends are interested but dont have time to drive 30 minutes, when walmart is 10 minutes away.

2: 14-20

3: half and half.

4:... was there a fourth?.. its my first post on here, i apologize.

I'm trying to grasp concepts of your dimensions
While my universe is laced around your wrist
I am the bracelet you sport
I am everything that you have ever missed, and more..
calzone
Sea Post King

1. Yes, that would open it up to more people, which is always good.
2. 13-30. Though I know many people outside of that range that love them.
3. Ummmm... I think it would be mostly girls, but plenty of guys are into them as well... maybe 60-40 split
ahoier
Sea Post King

1. Sure, FYE, and Best Buy too.
2. 13-29
3. I'm actually surprised that there are more males than females here Razz