Laughing City
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

wednesday, december 29, 2004

so, for those of you just joining us, me and andrew (the infamous granpa turtle), as well as our friends federman and l.j., will be heading off to the big d to see eisley on friday night. that's a total of about 1450 miles (or roughly 22 hours, according to mapquest) each way. along the way, i'll have my trusty g4 powerbook and my mom's digital camera to capture all the hijinx, and if i hit any wifi hotspots in truck stops, i may even be able to post something. regardless, though, we'll be taking plenty of pictures and movies and will be happy to share it all with those of you not fortunate enough to make it to the show. if you see me/us, say hi!

now it's off to the gas station to fill up my 95 ford explorer, which already has over 143,000 miles on it.

----------------------------------------------------

i just got back from my friendly neighborhood valero to fill up my car in preparation for tomorrow's journey. i paid $1.61/gallon - hopefully it won't be too much higher in any of the states we're heading through. also, i wanted to mention that i just got a new cell phone which has aol instant messenger, so if you want to see where we are or stalk us or anything, you can probably i.m. me. however, since i just got the phone a couple of days ago and don't really know what i'm doing with it, i can't guarantee that i won't screw up and erase the message or accidently send you a virus or something.

now, it's time to finish packing and then get some rest before hitting the road bright and early at 6:00 tomorrow!

thursday, december 30, 2004

well, everything's going according to plan so far. i left my house at 6, then picked up adrew and lj in cambridge, followed by federman in college park. after a good bit of driving, we just stopped for lunch at country cookin'. it wasn't really in the country- more of a shopping mall. regardless, though, they had some really good sauce, which federman promptly stole. we're almost 300 miles on our way, in staunton, virginia, and are heading back out on the highway to continue the trip. time to watch some big lebowski, so here are some pictures of events thus far:

picking up andrew

picking up l.j.
i didn't take a picture when we picked up federman. oops.

we thought it would be cool to take a picture of the signs welcoming us to each state we went through. as you can see, though, the virginia one didn't turn out so well.

justmurder.com. interesting.

andrew and lj at country cookin

country bob's sauce. something tells me this will come up again later in our story.

we're in tennessee now. it's nice to finally be out of virginia, but we'll be in tennessee for even longer. for entertainment, we're back to the ipod now- we've had a nice selection of tunes- flaming lips, brand new, foo fighters, q and not u, queens of the stone age, the unicorns, pavement, neutral milk hotel, the strokes, alkaline trio and now coldplay. here's some visual evidence of our exploits to date:

on the road in virginia. we're not there anymore.

federman got the brilliant idea of putting some bob's sauce on fudge rounds.

how about some bob's on pringles?

apparently it's not so bad...

this one came out better

we just had dinner at a shoney's in knoxville and are filling up the tank. i must say, tennessee kicks the crap out of virginia. while we were at our table in shoney's and figuring out how much longer we'd be on the road, the woman at the next table offered us some suggestions as to where there tend to be a lot of police, and how long we could expect to be in the state. it's 7 p.m. and we have about 5 and a half hours until we hit arkansas. from there, we have another 4 hours through arkansas and about 3 more through texas until we get to dallas. we're making pretty good time, and will hopefully get there rather early. l.j.'s driving now and cranking out some tenacious d. nice. how 'bout some pictures?

the sun setting on our first day of travels. unfortunately, i didn't do so well at that whole "holding the camera still when you try to take a picture" thing. oops.

night driving in tennesse

friday, december 31, 2004

it's 9 a.m. (10 on the east coast) and we're getting settled after arriving in dallas. overnight, we made it through the rest of tennessee, then federman took us through little rock, i grabbed the wheel to head into texas, then federman took us the rest of the way here. we're staying at his aunt's house, which is about 15 minutes away from trees. now, its time for a nap, since i only got about an hour of sleep in the car. pictures anyone?

after a brief jaunt across the mississippi, we wound up in arkansas. arkansas wasn't very interesting, so allow us to skip ahead to...

...texas, where a large metallic rendition of the state was there to greet us at a rest stop in texarkana.

after stopping at an ihop at dawn, we were on our way to our ultimate destination

it's 3:30 a.m. and i just got back from the show...the show...the show... i'll tell you- i've been to a ton of shows in the past few years, from all sorts of genres of music (rock, punk, hardcore, metal, electronic, rap, etc...) and all sorts of sizes (from seeing radiohead at the tweeter center in camden, nj to seeing good clean fun's reunion show in a church hall in college park, and about everything in between). this one easily topped them all. but, before i proceed to tell you why it was so great, let's backtrack a little bit.
i got up at about 2, and we left federman's aunt's house a little after 3. we headed downtown, parked, and met up with chad (chasd00) and all the boardies that were hanging out at his place. we stayed there for a little bit, then left to go to good records where pilotdrift was playing their in-store. it was the first time i heard them, and it wasn't too shabby. we left a bit early though, since we were paranoid about being first in line to see eisley. at this point, me, dan (bnrocks) and luke (theenvycorps) headed over to trees, while andrew, lj and federman headed back to the car to pick up the video camera. when we got there, eisley was soundchecking, and the side door was open so we watched some of it. then, we got in line (or i should say started the line, since we were the only ones there) and hung out as a slow trickle of boardies and other fans gradually accumulated. at about 6:30, after eisley was done with soundcheck, we met up with them and gave them all the gag pseudo- christmas gifts we got them. unfortunately we didn't get pictures of it, but they all went over quite well. we got boyd a mug that has "i bet you can't" written on the side, kim a golf club (since she had that whole putting on the toilet thing going on), jon an old a-team board game, chauntelle a weightlifting belt that had "muscles" written on it, weston a pair of hulk boxer shorts which had a picture of the hulk and "hulk smash" on them, sherri one of those mic stand pick holders, and stacy a sign with a bag of removeable lettering.

dan got me this. thanks!

the backs of the heads of those better known as chasd00, berlies_, bk, pzykotic and bnrocks whilst on our way to see pilotdrift

pilotdrift's in-store at good records

well, after seeing pilotdrift, i was ready to head back to maryland. however, this sign caught my eye, so i decided i might check out this show, since i was there anyway.

let's play "name that boardie"

kim (berlies_) taking a picture of andrew taking a picture

then, after some more milling about, it was finally time for the show. pilotdrift was great. i liked this set better than their in-store- probably because of the bigger stage and better p.a. they played a new song about a gambler on the moon who owes money all over the galaxy and has people coming after him, which is, without a doubt, the greatest premise for a song ever.

a key-tar. sweeeeeet.

a bit blurry. i need to work on that.

pilotdrift: the best band with an accordion this side of gogol bordello

group shot

gotta love the audience clap-alongs

after pilotdrift, radiant was pretty good, although i could have done without the nasty fog machine. they still played a good set, though.

3/4 of radiant

1/4 of radiant, plus the tree that they apparently named the place after

4/4 of radiant

then, the moment we've all been waiting for. i started typing a list of which songs i liked the best, but the list quickly turned in to the whole set:

i planned on writing something about each song, or something in detail about how everything was, but i'm still at a loss for words. there's not much to say, other than the fact that it was unbelieveably amazing. it was great hearing all the new songs that i haven't heard before, and i especially liked hearing plenty of paper again. the older songs sound better than ever, and i can't wait to hear the album!

the letter board sort of thing that we got stacy. glad to see it go to good use!

that bass playing fellow

this picture is the new desktop image on my powerbook

she has good taste in computers

chauntelle, weston, stacy and st. august troff

we should start a "get stacy a new pair of pants that don't have holes in them" fund
the rest of these are from video stills, so the quality isn't as good:

some girl from some band

looks like she's really getting into it, too

and yet again, i forgot to ask weston what that rabbit thing's about

the video caught the flash from someone else's camera. i think it looks pretty neat.

if you went by shadows, sherri would be twice as tall as jonathan

unfortunately, due due my proximity to stacy's rhodes, this was the best i could do for a shot of chauntelle

3/5 of eisley

nice pick holder. i wonder where she got it...

weston going nuts on the drums

that girl from that band again

the aftermath:

federman and lj in cafe brazil after the show

andrew got his cell phone signed by eisley

saturday, january 1, 2005

i didn't write anything on saturday. but keep reading and you might just find out what we did!

sunday, january 2, 2005

it's 2:45 and we just crossed into virginia on interstate 81. so, i suppose it's time to give the whole update on everything that's happened. yesterday, we left dallas a little after 3, then headed over to tyler. what was originally supposed to be "stopping by the duprees' for a cup of coffee" quickly turned into "staying for 5 hours and having dinner." boyd did make us some rather good coffee, and we listened to some....uhhh....songs.... Wink micah from pilotdrift was there, and it was cool meeting him and talking for a little while. after that, we were treated to a really good mexican dinner courtesy of eddie, which was made even better with some bob's sauce. we tried to get boyd to try some, but our peer pressure didn't work. oh well, maybe next time we're randomly at his house...
oh, and i figured i'd need some visual evidence of being there, so here you go:

when i went to the bathroom before leaving, i took a picture of myself in the mirror. ha!
so we rolled out of tyler around 10:30 to begin the long trek homewards. with andrew at the wheel, we passed through east texas and the foggy, moonlit bayous of louisiana (where we passed what looked like a roadkillled kangaroo) before stopping at a waffle house in vicksburg, mississippi. from there, we travelled across all of mississippi and alabama, a tiny corner of georgia, and crossed tennessee and now here we are in virginia, where i'm typing this on my powerbook while listening to pilotdrift and getting still images from our video of the eisley show so that i can post them on the forum when i get to an internet connection. hmmm, i wonder if there's anyone else who does that...
what's that, you ask? more pictures?

perhaps i shouldn't have parked under that tree...

federman's aunt's house, where we stayed in dallas. it was a really cool place, in a nice little neighborhood a few miles north of downtown.

so andrew and federman needed to switch shoes for driving since andrew stepped in something sticky. or so they say. i think they just liked the way it looked.

crossing back to our side of the mississippi

sunrise in alabama

i tried to get a shot of the welcome to georgia sign, but i missed it and got the eastern time zone one instead. close enough.

a rest stop in tennessee. i can't take these kids anywhere.

what's this? country bob's on an apple?

when they say it's all-purpose sauce, they aren't kidding!

we passed this trailer on 81, a little while before getting stuck on the highway for 3 hours after an accident.

monday, january 3, 2005

it's monday, and i'm home. i got back a little after 3 this morning, after 3023.1 miles. honestly though, it didn't seem that long, although i did need some coffee with some country bob's to keep awake all the way back. yes, bob's in my coffee actually tasted allright. no, i'm not kidding.
i certainly wouldn't want to drive to dallas every week, but i would not hesitate to do it again. i'm really glad that this trip came together like it did, and i suppose i should thank some of the people who made it all possible:
andrew, federman, and l.j. for agreeing to my crazy idea of going on this trip in the first place
federman's aunt selma, for letting us stay with her in dallas and making us a ton of great food
the woman at the shoney's in tennessee, for telling us where to look out for police on the highways
country bob. 'nuff said.
all the boardies i met- berlies_, bnrocks, theenvycorps, all the texans, the guys from kansas city, and everyone else that might not necessarily fall under one of those categories
luke, for the envy corps cd
dan, for that plastic fish thing
the duprees, for having us over
boyd, for the coffee
eddie, for the stellar mexican food
country bob, again for good measure
you, for reading this monstrosity
and most of all, i want to thank eisley for making music that could inspire people to travel halfway across the country just to see them play. this whole trip was great, and, like i said, i would not hesitate to do it again. and, many of eisley's east coast dates with reggie and nfg are over my spring break, so.....
Last edited by ryan fisher on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

haha now i know who to throw things at when i see you! i'll get you ryan... and your little turtle too.

j/k, see you guys there! drive safe! Very Happy
thexrunaway
Golly, Poster

$1.61? Please don't come to NY then. It is like still over $2 here.

"My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end."

-Ayn Rand, Anthem

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

See y'all in Big D. Very Happy

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

you eaaaaast coaaaaast girrrrllllls and something something really blah blah blah blah blaaaaaaah ...

a.k.a. :: STOP MAKING ME WANT TO GO TO THE SHOW! It better be sold out so I can't anyways ... that'll teach me to be a last minute Eisley-Ticket-Buyer!

HA! I'LL CATCH YOU, ME! I WILL GET YOU IN THE END! HarharHARAAAARRRR!!!

Of course, this is me trying to make you glad that I'm not able to make it to the show ...

(kills someone that looks like ryan fisher or BNROCKS)

see? you don't want that thing coming to the show! she's INSANE! she's out of her loopy loo! they have signs in london at the airports that you direct you to "WC" or "TOILETS" and not "RESTROOM"!!! aren't they just the most "out there"est? hmmm? silly 7 hour stop-overs turned nightmares of cancellations ...

LLLLLLLAUGHTER! (runs around humming)

mgo
Sea Post King

oh this is such a good idea. in the future there will be eisleyroadies giving us their travel logs. be safe and stay awake.
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:

the camera looks like a head.
the powerbook looks like a camera.
you look like a powerbook.

this is gonna be great!
BenC
Golly, Poster

very cool
have fun
wish I was going

Laughing Citizen

awww i wish i could go to the shooow... blah...
well have fun and drive safely! Very Happy

Last.fm.etsy.tumblr
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

thesinisterpenguin wrote:
the camera looks like a head.
the powerbook looks like a camera.
you look like a powerbook.

I wish I looked like a powerbook Sad
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

You do admiral.
You do.

ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

i just got back, after being delayed 3 hours on interstate 81 in virginia because an 18-wheeler caught on fire. not fun. anyway, i have a TON of words and pictures to post, but right now some things require more immediate attention...such as sleeping
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

ryan fisher wrote:
i just got back, after being delayed 3 hours on interstate 81 in virginia because an 18-wheeler caught on fire. not fun. anyway, i have a TON of words and pictures to post, but right now some things require more immediate attention...such as sleeping

Whew. Glad you made it back ok. It was awesome to meet everyone. We'll all have to do it again. Very Happy

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Levi
Sea Post King

meetin you in person was radical.
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

We'll all have to do it again. Very Happy

And next time, NOT in Deep Ellum on New Year's Eve Wink