Laughing City
goto page
 | next >>
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

Now that it is officially titled and it's streaming on Pandora (and some people have their physical copies), we may as well have a more "official" thread!

I'm still mid-stream, at "Millstone," but so far I am really loving it.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I wasn't sure what to expect on this album, but ... it's just killing me. Like old school Eisley killing me. Loving it. Need about 500 more listens now ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Lost Enemies needs more cowbell. Wink

Interesting how religious-sounding the lyrics are in almost every song. I wonder if they've always wanted to include their faith in their songs, but WB discouraged it? If I'm honest, as a non-religious person, it was initially a turn-off for me. But I'm choosing to look past it and enjoy the music.

Upon first listen, it sounds like they're anticipating the apocalypse (lots of talk about time running out and souls needing to be saved), but then I really listened to the lyrics in Millstone and it seems like a metaphor for growing older. As someone who just turned 25, the idea of turning 30 (no longer being a young adult) scares me. The majority of the band are approaching 30 as well.. maybe they're scared too? Thinking, where did our youth go? Or maybe I'm way off and being far too dramatic comparing turning 30 with the apocalypse/drowning in the currents. Rolling Eyes Any other thoughts on lyrics?

On another note, Stacy has been my favorite vocalist in the industry since Room Noises so naturally, her songs are my favorite. And anyone else who favors Stacy's songs and feels like this album has a lot of Sherri can rest easy knowing she's working on more Sucre material. And if she revived Aristicats maybe there's hope for Lady Get Away and The Mainframe.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I also noticed faith/religious sounding lyrics in many songs (I also think some may just be love songs about their new families). I wasn't sure if it was just me, though. There were a few from the last album that were a bit more ambiguous, but with some of these new songs, I'm not sure how else one could interpret it. It's not a turn off for me, just interesting for the reasons you mentioned! (Was it stifled before? What changed?)

I pretty much did a mini review in the other longer thread, so I'm just going to copy and paste what I had there, with minor edits....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just one listen through and oh my gosh, what an amazing record! I can't wait to get the mp3s so I can listen in my car.

Each song has so many layers and parts, but somehow they fit. It's not "messy" at all...I love that it's not monotonous and they do some very interesting things musically. Lyrically, it's not exactly straight forward, yet I find the most songs that I can relate to...I love how (I'm assuming Sherri's) lyrics always paint a story: For much of the record with the musical movements and lyrics combined, I felt like I was listening to a soundtrack/musical...or a music filled audio book!

Even though my first love was their dream-pop era, this may be my favorite Eisley collection. There's only one song that I would even think about skipping (Real World), and it is still good. Great job producing/recording/mixing as well. I like how this record sounds.

Quick comments on a few songs. I'll try not to ruin any surprises, but musical "spoilers" my ensue!

Blue Fish - I love the description princesstripandfall used of a "rollercoaster vocal party" That surprised me as well.

Millstone -- I felt like saying "I hear ya, girl!" (in other words, love the relate-able lyrics). Most days I feel the same way... And gosh, I really do love Chauntelle's voice. Even if there was no shyness about her singing, I would say that. Very emotive, yet smooth.

Wicked Child -- Eisley's version of Dante's Inferno??? Ha, seriously though, I wasn't sure how it would turn out based on the clips, but once you start at the beginning, the competing layers just...work! I love it. I was singing along by the end and challenged with the rushed rhythms being matched with the lighter music/vocals.

Find Me Here--it got intense towards the bridge!

Wonder English -- I like the lyrics and the bridge is awesome. (The chords and how they got the title.)

Lost Enemies -- I'm glad they officially recorded this one. It's interesting. This doesn't seem to be the only one that seems faith-based.

The Night Comes -- I just wrote down "DRAMATIC" Laughing

Shelter -- Great closer.
oathmeal
Sea Post King

This may be an odd question but for those of you who have received your hardcopy does the booklet include the lyrics?
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i dont have a my copy yet, but i saw pictures.

it does include the lyrics.

the booklet is real nice.
the two page photo in the middle is nice

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
olimario
Laughing Citizen

SONGS I WILL BUY
Millstone
Real World
Wicked Child
Find me Here
Shelter

THROW AWAY
Currents
Drink the Water
Save my Soul
Lost Enemies

UP IN THE AIR
Blue Fish
Wonder English
The Night Comes

all in all a very average album
I don't like any of the songs as much as "I wish", "Kind", "Watch it Die", or "Ambulance".

meh meh meh I can't wait for the new Merriment Album
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

"I'll start singing Two-Headed Boy to fall asleep."

That's not a song I wanna sing to go to sleep.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

JBaker wrote:
"I'll start singing Two-Headed Boy to fall asleep."

That's not a song I wanna sing to go to sleep.

yea but if it's done like sherri's cover of two headed boy pt. 2 i wouldn't mind.

as a spiritual and religious person i didn't really notice the faith based lyrics till aristicats/ lost enemies (it feels weird calling it lost enemies...). the musical interlude at the beginning of the song reminds me of Let Me Hear by Great Awakening.

edit-

treetops12 wrote:
And if she revived Aristicats maybe there's hope for Lady Get Away and The Mainframe.

i actually like the mainframe way more than aristicats so hopefully! ahhhh

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
mandy
Sea Post King

Sorry in advance about how long this is. It turned out longer than I expected.

My first thought was excitement that the old Eisley was back! Now the other albums and EPs had flashes and were mostly good, but *this* is the Eisley I have been waiting 11 years to get an album from. At long last and so worth it.

I've pretty much already covered my opinions of Currents and Drink The Water, but to recap I love them both. Only thing I have to add is they sound even better in the context of the album. Everything flows so well.

The vocals on Blue Fish were awesome. "Bait me like Blue Fish" (that's what she says right?) while the other part is going on in the background is like some totally siren-y theme with that one. Having Drink The Water follow this song actually makes them sound like one long two part song about sirens. I also thought the song was going to keep going for a while after the guitar part at the end started. Laughing could have easily been 6 minutes long and I would still be mesmerized.

Not a big fan of the verses on Save My Soul. The lyrics are a little cumbersome and ruins the flow in a way that doesn't sound intentional. Though I think that is more for the first verse. The second I think flows better. The rest of the song I really like though. Even the kind of gospel music sounding bridge which kind of made me uncomfortable at first, but by the end I liked.

Millstone is my second favorite song on the album. I am especially in love with the bass part at the beginning! Chauntelle is just amazing and I can't wait for her solo stuff.

Wicked Child gives me chills and it may be the perfect Eisley song ever. It actually seems like a recap of some of old Eisley song themes in an improved way. The beginning is Wings and Windows. The chorus is Tree Tops. Poseidon is a Sea King thing. The lyric about teeth reminds me of Queen of Leaves. I feel like it has a very Alice in Wonderland theme, but with all the parts that call to mind older songs it feels like its an ode to the fans who are "lost" in Eisley's "wonderland". It gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it so I am more than happy to be there.

I pretty much consistently skipped Real World and Wonder English and Find Me Here initially, but the last two have grown on me. They take a bit to get into, but once you find the groove of them they are great. The Night Comes is good. The lyrics kind of straddle the line between very vague and very specific so its a little hard to relate to them (as in too specific to put to your own life and too vague to pinpoint what in her life it is about exactly), but regardless I love the darker feel of it. I love the strings on the Sherri songs too. The cowbell comment about Lost Enemies was hilarious and spot on. This is also the only song that I feel as being specifically religious although there are hints of it in other songs I don't feel like those are the themes overall. Perhaps it is because I am religious that I don't see it. Like its just such a huge part of my life that its not jarring for me to hear it out of somebody else.

I didn't panic when listening to Shelter this time. I really do love this song, but it falls into the same thing that typically bothers me about Stacy songs. I hope nobody is offended by this because I do love Stacy's songs so much and Sucre is amazing, but she comes across as so naive in her songs. Like she's a kid pretending to be a wise grandma. I'm sure a lot of the songs are emotionally significant for her, but it doesn't come across that way unless she is singing "in character" so to speak. She comes across as very detached from her own life when she tries to sing about her own experiences. Stuff that is heavy on the role play and metaphor is what she does best. For example I don't think any song can explain a dissociative disorder (which I've had to deal with) quite like the song Endless Sleep, but its also kind of about sleeping beauty so it is very much role play. Though with the way I worded that nothing explains a dissociate disorder like everything Stacy does musically. Laughing

Overall it is my favorite Eisley album and I only see things going up from here.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:

treetops12 wrote:
And if she revived Aristicats maybe there's hope for Lady Get Away and The Mainframe.

i actually like the mainframe way more than aristicats so hopefully! ahhhh

No love for My Cup of Tea? Laughing

What's up with Pandora?

I was going to listen to the next track and it prompted me to Sign Up.
Now I can't go back to the Stream. Evil or Very Mad

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

mandy wrote:
I really do love this song, but it falls into the same thing that typically bothers me about Stacy songs. I hope nobody is offended by this because I do love Stacy's songs so much and Sucre is amazing, but she comes across as so naive in her songs. Like she's a kid pretending to be a wise grandma. I'm sure a lot of the songs are emotionally significant for her, but it doesn't come across that way unless she is singing "in character" so to speak. She comes across as very detached from her own life when she tries to sing about her own experiences.

Interesting. I feel completely opposite.
drinkthewater
Sea Post King

crusso
Sea Post King

Millstone: Chauntelle! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
drinkthewater
Sea Post King

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2013/05/24/what-record-are-you-most-look ing-forward-to-next-week-116/

Eisley is currently winning this poll Razz

goto page
 | next >>