Laughing City
dylans_vagabond
Sea Post King

I'm not sure if this should be in the "I got RN" sticky or not but I wanted to say this personally. If it is, I'll delete it and reply it in the other post.

Because of my horrible connection and poor quality of my computer, I haven't been on this message board much nor have I got a sneak peek listen to the new mixing of the old songs that are on the album. Ever since I got RN in the mail, I have been listening to an old favorite of mine: I wasn't Prepared. And omg, what have they done to the song? IT'S SO AWESOME.

Who came up with the idea of boosting up the harmonies on the mixer board? It was a pretty damn good idea. It sounds so creepy and amazing. The old I wasn't Prepared reminds me of old lonely summer memories that I miss. But this new one...wow. I love it. It's a feeling that'll stick with me forever. I personally think this deserves a Grammy nod recording-wise, songwriting-wise, and artist-wise. Is there a particular old song on the new LP that anyone's just insane about?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leighish
Vintage Newbie

I agree.
A lot of people really don't like what they did to it, but I don't care I love it so much. its actually in the running for my favorite room noises track, oddly enough.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

Same here -- but the track that gets at me (in a good way) the most is probably Brightly Wound. I don't know why, but I started tearing up when I heard that song for the first time.
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

oh, i love it too. i wasn't prepared was always one of my favorite eisley songs, and i love the way it is on room noises. it makes me smile.
breauxman
Vintage Newbie

I love the new 'I Wasn't Prepared' too, but I think my favorite of the older songs on Room Noises is 'Memories'. I don't know, it just seems more haunting and more beautiful.
Joined: 04 Oct 2004 | Posts: 2264 | Location: Lost and Found
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

The only song I don't have much enthusiasm for is the new Telescope Eyes. It's too fast and sounds too cheery now.

But regardless...Plenty of Paper and Just Like We Do both tie for my favorite on the album.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

I'm with Breauxman. I love the new "Memories".

JD

Derek
Sea Post King

Personally, I like the older recordings of most the songs on the album.

"I Wasn't Prepared" is my favorite, but the new recording just doesn't do it for me like the old one. The new mix detracts from the originality of the song. It makes it sound heavier and more common. What I love about the song in the first place is the delicate dance along the scale between the vocalists and the way the band supports Sherri's voice without submerging it. Also how unique the whole sound is: delicate, intricate, a little emotionally confusing, all while giving the illusion of simplicity.

In fact, that's what I really enjoy about all of Eisleys music. I feel like the RN album moved away from that towards a sound more palatable to general audiences. The sound is a little more crowded, the vocals a little more submerged in the rest of the music. Stacy's vocals are louder in the new mixes with respect to Sherri's also.

Don't get me wrong, I love the music. And I totally understand the changes: the band members are maturing, this is their first album on a major record label, etc. And it's not like the music is that different. It's just a trend that I don't really want to see.

This is all IMHO and I still can't wait to see them in Dallas.
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

I agree with a lot of this.
I think my favorite new recording of an old song is I Wasn't Prepared. The harmonies were super powerful. I don't know if I like it better. I can't say for sure without going back and listening to both versions close together. But I don't dislike it.
I reallllly am not digging the new Lost At Sea. It just sounds very busy and 'crowded' as Derek put it. Before the song was so soft and haunting and... the added stuff just sounds like clutter. Overdone.

I haven't had time to listen to the old and new Memories back to back, but I am guessing the new one is slightly faster? Lots of the new versions seem sped up to me, but it could be in my head. Still, Memories remains one of my favorite songs ever. The lyrics are amazing and ahhh, just chilling and beautiful. They have this surprising quality of maturity and life outlook coming from such a young band. I think 'Just Like We Do' has a similar maturity. It gets me every time.

Telescope Eyes is just through and through one of my least favorite Eisley songs. But..you know that's not even bad. Because least favorite for Eisley doesn't even mean I dislike it. It just means I don't like it as much as any other.

The new song that got to me most (in a good way) also was Brightly Wound. I thought it was one of the most powerful tracks. Just breathtaking. I was trying to type something for school with RN playing in the background. Then Brightly Wound came on. It was the first song new to me on the cd and I had to stop everything and just listen. For the rest of the tracks too, I just lay down and let the music pour around me.

So anyway, added polishing and clutter aside I thought the album overall was just magnificent. I am thrilled to finally have it and I couldn't ask for more.
Malfaiteur
Sea Post King

phoenixdown wrote:
Same here -- but the track that gets at me (in a good way) the most is probably Brightly Wound. I don't know why, but I started tearing up when I heard that song for the first time.

Same. I just keep playing that song over and over. I love it. Telescope eyes is a bit peppier now, not sure I like it as much. We'll see, I'll have to listen to it a few more times to be sure. Just Like We Do is cool beans green jeans. Good stuff.

[whining]

I'm still bummed about sunfeet missing from the track listing

[/whining]

I wrote your name in red chalk on the sidewalk in front of my house.
Joined: 18 Mar 2004 | Posts: 343 | Location: Raleighwood, NC