Laughing City
Kit
Sea Post King

4 out of 5 stars

I've been a fan of Eisley (formerly known as MossEisley) since February 2002 and am excited about their continued momentum. I had a feeling they would go places but, given I first saw them at a church, I wasn't sure if they were going to limit themselves to the feeble Christian market or attempt to move beyond that. Since they have signed to Warner Bros., it's safe to assume they have chosen the latter...thank God. No offense to the Christian music buying public, but Eisley really do not belong there (and neither did the band to which they are frequently compared - Sixpence None the Richer).

I do agree with some folks that Eisley probably have more in common with Sixpence than any other band. He who says otherwise has probably only heard "Kiss Me" or the lackluster cover songs that regrettably cemented Sixpence (a very underrated band) as a Christian band with one novelty song, a few hideous covers and a chirpy lead singer. Let's hope Eisley does not experience the same ridiculous backlash.

Room Noises is certainly not a perfect album. But, it is rare to come across a band with a full length debut that is ripe with fresh ideas and displays such musical maturity. With a strong grasp of melody and a sense of adventure, Eisley's Room Noises is instantly likeable. I have very few complaints. First off, four of the songs that appeared on their previous EPs resurface with slightly different mixes; which is fine for people who have yet to hear the songs. But, I certainly didn't need to hear another mix of "Telescope Eyes" (and from what I understand, neither did the band). I still prefer the original version on their MossEisley EP2 which had more of a bite and sounded a little more daunting. Furthermore, Stacey's and Sherri's dual vocals work well in most spots on Room Noises, but parts of the verses on "Golly Sandra," an otherwise beautiful pop song, sound a bit cluttery when both are singing different lyrics over each other. My final complaint is that "Vintage People," one of the band's catchier new numbers, was mysteriously left off the CD. But at least it is still available on iTunes.

Those are very small complaints as the rest of Room Noises makes up for them all. The chorus on "Golly Sandra" has one of the most irresistible Beatle-esque hooks ever. The heart-tugging "Lost at Sea" is similar to The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" rhythmically and in its mood shift from sorrowful to whimsical. "My Lovely" is a romantic rocker dedicated to a mysterious love interest and has very well executed harmonies. The snappy closer, "Trolley Wood," makes clever usage of the word "hallelujah" without making you feel as if you are listening to some hokey gospel number.

Given the right push, I believe Room Noises can not only be a breakout album for Eisley, but can also mark the beginning of a band that will stick it out for the long run and continue to bring fresh ideas to a music buying public starving for both "creativity" and "strong melodicism" and prefer not to have to sacrifice one for the other.

Kit

This has also been posted on rateyourmusic.com:

http://rateyourmusic.com/view_album_details/album_id_is_239115