Laughing City
pzy
Wookie Luke

Cuz I don't.

I know early on people greatly prefered the old version of Telescope Eyes to the new one, but I've recently re-listened to the Laughing City version, and I've realized I completely prefer the new version. Now the old version seems too slow and kind of boring, the new version just sparkles a lot more.

Marvelous Things is another one upon the first Room Noises listen where I thought I prefered the old version - Stacy's vocals seem more fragile and less adolescently rock-solid than on the MT EP. Now I much prefer the new version - Stacy's vocals just sound more... grown up. Mature. There's a lot more feeling in what she sings this time around. Just a more beautiful sounding recording when it's all said and done.

I was never conflicted about I Wasn't Prepared, the new version soars and tugs on heart and brain strings. The way the song crecendos each time the chorus is sung is amazing.

Memories is the same sort of deal as Marvelous Things, in that Stacy's vocals sound a bit more fragile, yet somehow refined and more mature. Sherri and Stacy's voices seem to intertwine a lot better in the new version, the part of the song where they sing to each other (i'm always wondering where you are) never fails to send chills up my spine. Weston's drumming really adds to the new track.

What do you guys think? Is anyone still hung up on the EP versions, maybe to the point of making a Room Noises mix CD with EP versions in place of LP versions?

Buckethead
Sea Post King

producers are wonderfully skillful people. Rob Cavallo is da' bomb
john2
Golly, Poster

i actually prefer the Marvy things EP version than the new. both are good, but...i dont know. i just like the EP ver.

-Boogie Nation-
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 598 | Location: long beach, CA
sizeablescars
Golly, Poster

The new Marvelous Things is growing on me. I didn't like it at all when I first heard it but now I enjoy it a lot more. I definitely prefer the newer versions of Memories and I Wasn't Prepared. I still like the first version of Telescope Eyes the best though. I can't let go of "you freak" and "dear matthew."
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

totally agree luke (*gasp*) the RN versions blow the old ones out of the water...truth be told, i think the new TE is my favorite, even more so than the original Moss version...*shields self from stones*
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

ya, i like the room noises versions better, except for "i wasn't prepared". I love that song on the ep, nothing can compare, the new version is excellent, but i prefer the old one. It's hard to compare the moss eisley version of telescope eyes with the new one, because it's like they're two different songs almost, i like both of them, and they both fit a different mood, does that make sense?
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
totally agree luke (*gasp*) the RN versions blow the old ones out of the water...truth be told, i think the new TE is my favorite, even more so than the original Moss version...*shields self from stones*

don't worry, i've already said that before and i was only whipped, stabbed and shot. Wink
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

I only heard the new versions of Telescope Eyes and I wasn´t prepared.
and yes, I prefer the EP versions...
gotta gather some money to buy room noises... Sad

Visit my Pic Album!
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 | Posts: 3973 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

I don't think I'm ever going to "come around" about the new Marvelous Things. Classic.

JD

Alice Wonderbra
Sea Post King

i like the ep's better. they just seem more...fresh. you can tell they had more studio work on the album.
Sea Post King

Its a tossup for me......of the 4 songs ....

I Wasn't Prepared is FAR better on the Laughing City EP.....
the raw emotion is gone from the Room Noises version...just listen to the Bridge ( Coooooome...Cooooooome back to me, my darling) , completely covered by mellotrons or strings or keyboards or something on the new version....it takes away greatly from Sherri's voice. It was perfect on the EP, should've left that as is.

However, Memories is FAR better on Room Noises...the enhanced drum track makes the song. The stripped down EP version was seriosuly lacking. I'm glad they re-recorded it.

Unfortunately Aaron Sprinkle's poor production of "Marvelous Things" is lacking. i hope they never work with Sprinkle again. That song deserves better treatment...it is the BEST Eisley song ever written! Sprinkle's production style does not fit well with the type of music Eisley makes.
I was hoping they would totally re-record it, but in the end, it didn't turn out that way.

Telescope Eyes ...eh...both the EP and Room noises versions are good.
I don't think either is better than the other. I don't count the old, original version....they are very different, not a fair comparison.

I do believe WB has made a terrible error in choosing Telescope Eyes to be the first single from this album....there are several much better choices!

That my opinions...
love, Kyle

I
Last edited by KyleRossP on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaughtOnFilm
Laughing Citizen

i love memories on the new cd.
www.imahuman.tumblr.com
www.isitreallysostrange.wordpress.com
[i spend too much time on the internet, apparently.]

loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

Last edited by loveisachemical on Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

How can Marvelous Things be that much different? It's not! The only new things are the vocals and mix.

The only superior version of TE is the EP2 version. And it sounds like it was recorded on a toy.

Overall, Room Noises made improvements on the recast songs.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

No offence intended but I can't listen to the new telescope eyes,It sounds like a bad dance remix or something.I love the song itself,in fact it was the first eisley song I ever heard but I don't like this version...not at all.

sorry Crying or Very sad