42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Passive
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Question for the guitarists/bassists. Which pickup type do you prefer? Active or Passive? Myself, I choose active because they are dead quiet and hotter than passive pickups.
robbie
Vintage Newbie

Active on bass, but I don't like active on guitars. It can overload some effects pedals if you don't have an effects send and I don't like dealing with active pickup batteries.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

robbie wrote:
Active on bass, but I don't like active on guitars. It can overload some effects pedals if you don't have an effects send and I don't like dealing with active pickup batteries.

Really? I'm using an EMG 85 into a PODxt Live and have no problems at all. And I'm still using the same battery that I used when I got the pickup in December.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

passive...mostly cos i've just never used active...hahaha
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

I have both kinds of guitars. Different songs sound better with different types.

As far as the batteries thing... I've had mine in for over a year and I play my guitar every day for quite some time. So, I havent had trouble with this. Just buy good batteries, not cheap ones.
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

loveisachemical wrote:
I have both kinds of guitars. Different songs sound better with different types.

As far as the batteries thing... I've had mine in for over a year and I play my guitar every day for quite some time. So, I havent had trouble with this. Just buy good batteries, not cheap ones.

Yeah, good batteries are a must. I love the fact that with EMG, you can get about 1000 hours of life from one battery. In my next guitar, there are going to be dual EMGs(the Zakk Wylde set) and I can't wait to have a neck pickup again.

ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

apples and oranges

i have a gibson sg with passive 490 series pickups, and an onyx neck-through artist style guitar with an emg 60 and 81, and each one totally rips for different things

on the bass end of things, i have a warwick thumb 5-string with mec pickups and an active pre-amp, and i'm also looking at getting a passive thing- probably a rickenbacker 4003 or one of those passive stingrays

i guess the vaguest way to describe it is that the active are good for a more "modern" sound while the passive are better for a "vintage" sort of sound, but of course there are a ton more variables
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Acoustic.

I've never owned an electric...never had the money. So I have no idea about pickups...I've borrowed my friend's electric, but he knows nothing about it but that it plays. And since it isn't mine, I never bothered to find out. Oh well.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

What's the difference?
Edit:
What do I have?

"To top it off there are two "J" type humbucking pickups with choice electronics to insure versatile and flexible sound quality for live or studio gigs."

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Tell me what brand that bass is and I can find out. And in a nutshell, the difference between active and passive is basically electricity. Active pickups require them, passive don't. Power is normally given by 9v batteries. Although I have read about a guy using 18v with very good results.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

guitarfreak217 wrote:
Tell me what brand that bass is and I can find out. And in a nutshell, the difference between active and passive is basically electricity. Active pickups require them, passive don't. Power is normally given by 9v batteries. Although I have read about a guy using 18v with very good results.
It's a Peavey Millenium series.

But if passive don't require batteries, then why would you want to use active if you have to change batteries? Assuming from everyones posts, they play a little different, though. Does one have more buzz than the other, or play smoother or something?

conundrum66
Sea Post King

Depends on what kind of music you play. I can see people liking active pickups if they play metal and things, but if you play with less gain you can really appreciate the tone that passives have. It seems that with EMG's they make all guitars sound alike. I don't like that.
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

hisownshot wrote:
guitarfreak217 wrote:
It's a Peavey Millenium series.

But if passive don't require batteries, then why would you want to use active if you have to change batteries? Assuming from everyones posts, they play a little different, though. Does one have more buzz than the other, or play smoother or something?

Your bass has passive pickups. And the changing of batteries is not something you do often. The preamp on EMG pickups will last about a 1000 hours without having to change the battery. They do give you more of a modern sound as well.

hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

What's good for jazz basses?

It's kind of weird, because I love playing jazz, I think it's really fun and leaves a lot of room for bass to be heard. Then again, I know that if I was ever in a band with some friends, we'd probably play straight up alt. rock or 'melodic hardcore' or something, because most of my friends and I listen to that stuff. Especially the ones trying to get me in a band with them.

Hmmm... I think this would be a good new thread. Instrument advice. Haha...

Bartman
Golly, Poster

Active RULES on a bass guitar. But for jazz, it's got to be a stand-up Dorbo bass with a microphone on it!

goto page
 | next >>