58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
The dark side
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

forumlurker
Sea Post King

Anyway, i'm convinced that major labels are evil. like darth vader.

Is it better to sign with indies? you might get less of an audience, but you might have a shot at actually getting royalties.

i accidentally posted this twice. ....
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

I like indie labels. They give exposure to some really talented bands.
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

it's hard to say. if you are signed to an indie label, how many royalties will you actually be making? your music will be reaching such a smaller audience, most likely. a major label does give you the promotion, and can offer alot of things an indie label cannot.

there are pros and cons to both sides.
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I think it also depends on how tightly a band wants to control their sound. If they don't mind it getting "cleaned up" a bit (i.e. Room Noises), then a major might be the way to go. But if I'm not mistaken, unless a band is huge or is already extremely pop-radio-friendly, majors will almost always try to change something.
Andrew
Lost at Forum

Its been explained to me that indies main business is for obscure music that bigger labels wont and dont know how to market. So it all depends on what your style is.

Oh and the differnece between the two is marketing and promo. They're on two differnt levels.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

if a major wants to sign a 3-piece band with drums, distorted bass and screamed vocals that plays 1 minute songs, then i'll sign to a major
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:
if a major wants to sign a 3-piece band with drums, distorted bass and screamed vocals that plays 1 minute songs, then i'll sign to a major

Death from Above 1979? Smile
chris flynn
Sea Post King

I posted a rather lengthy post... seems the site was down a bit today.. oh well..

I will re-create it , some other time..

Needless, to say I went through dealing with a major label, and label execs, back in the day they would show up at the studio, while you were working, recording.... and they were snortin cocaine... and blathering about you need to be "more this" and "more that"....

meanwhile , the charts were ruled by payola scams and drug payoffs... this was pre-soundscan... pre internet... it was all about getting MTV and radio airplay, which my band had a ton of-- but no label support...

it does seem that Eisley has label support, and that's a good thing.

majors are important for getting a large number of folks exposed to your music... a necessary evil..

Eisley will grow and grow it's base of loyal fans.. the band Marillion has divorced itself completly from the equation, of dealing with record companies, by doing pre-orders over the internet, from their base fans, and then they go into the studio to record , for each LP, with that money...

Eisley has gone far, grasshopper... very far... I can't wait for the next batch of songs. and they need to go to that inner place that they go, to write, and ignore all talk from record company execs... about changing their sound... and I know that may not be happening... but just in case it does... they need to ignore it...

in that movie Amadeus... in which the king says to Amadeus " there are too many notes, you just need to fix it, and not have so many notes"... and Amadeus states, "Sire, there are just as many notes as I require, no more-- no less."....

markr
Lost at Forum

first of all let me express my sympathy for the record industry,,,,,,,the majors labels are in a slump, many mergers ,,,,,,,,i know people that have worked for the majors for upteen years that are now losing their jobs,music is liquid now one keystroke and you can have your music, i know eisley is on a major ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are very unique ,,,,,,,,,,and very lucky ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but most of all their work ethic has gotton them to the point they are at .....plus idont think this band was ever about the money........ ive never been on a major label........only an indie........i didnt make much money ,, but i did get paid,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i didnt sell many records.........but i had control over what was released ............what happens is if you are good , if you are willing to put up with the ups and downs.and work yor patootie off you will establish yourself ,,,,,,then the folks at the majors will be knocking at your door anyway
end MORAINE
Golly, Poster

You can have all the freedom of an indie label on a major one if you know your business. If the label wants you bad enough they'll sign you regardless of whether or not they have control of your sound. The only thing you'll have to do is play their festivals and birthday parties on occasion.
conundrum66
Sea Post King

Sign with an Indie first and then if you make it to your second album, you can deside if you want to go major or not.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

conundrum66 wrote:
Sign with an Indie first and then if you make it to your second album, you can deside if you want to go major or not.

i agree with scott, start small, build a foundation and the labels will come for you eventually

though if you ask me the major labels are going the way of the dodo...i mean...its just not a viable business model anymore...but that's another story

giant_
Laughing Citizen

indie label with good distribution

also, everyone should see the documentry Dig, it examines among many things the pros and cons of being on a major label, its excellent.

thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

sign with granpaturtle.

Very Happy
Euphoria
Laughing Citizen

phoenixdown wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

Death from Above 1979? Smile

That's a two piece band.

They're amazing, I love them.
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1546 | Location: Look under your bed...