Laughing City
Reepicheep
Sea Post King

I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for months now, and I've noticed that Eisley songs mean different things to different people (a sign of a truly great band, it means the listener can attach it to a personal level).

There are a whole lot of fantasy and literary descriptions in Eisley's music, which is what makes me so crazy about them, because I'm a major fantasy freak. I don't know how many of you have heard an Eisley song and been reminded of a book or story of some sort, but I thought I'd list the songs that remind me of certain things...

'Marvelous Things' - I can't help but think of Alice in Wonderland every time I hear this song. Alice was sort of thrown into Wonderland and was a bit frightened, though curious. This song just seems to be the perfect description of her emotions when she's there - her response to all the scary creatures that emerge about her. There is a dark undertone to the song, which adds to the Wonderland feeling.

'Lost At Sea' - I'm sure Eisley's been compared to Narnia a lot, but this song very strongly reminds me of my favorite book in the series, The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'. Though all the travelers realize they're lost and going into unmapped regions, they're happy, especially Reepicheep the mouse (my username Very Happy ). When he was small, a Dryad told him that his destiny was to go to the utter East, and the verse 'I'm not so afraid; lost at sea, as I should be' sounds just as he felt in the book.

'One Day I Slowly Floated Away' - This one's a bit of a stretch, but to me this song sounds like the Houses of Healing in The Return of the King, especially Eowyn / Faramir. The 'way faster than the speeding bullet that took the life of your radio' part doesn't fit, but the whole emotions of the song match those in the Houses of Healing. The Battle for Middle Earth is won, but the lives of some of the warriors still hang in the balance. This song also reminds me of the American Civil War - I'm not sure if it's the keyboard combined with the close-to-death description, or what...

'Plenty of Paper' - I guess it's because of all the outerspace references, but this reminds me of Star Wars a little; there's no real explanation here.

Feel free to agree or disagree with this and add your own!

PS: Totally unrelated to the rest of this post, but has anyone ever given Eisley a gift? I think I'm going to see them in Carrboro, and I drew a picture that I plan to give to them, sort of a 'token of appreciation'. I was just curious if anyone else has done anything like this?
Joined: 20 Jun 2005 | Posts: 125 | Location: North Carolina
Last edited by Reepicheep on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
lloydobler
Lost at Forum

i think all their songs are open to interpretation, whether your idea is what the songs were actually written about or not. i think its totally okay for them to mean different things to different people, and i think its cool that you would be brave enough to post about them!

where in NC are you from? ill be at the carrboro show too, so maybe ill see you there!
Joined: 09 Feb 2005 | Posts: 1275 | Location: Greenville, SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reepicheep
Sea Post King

Oh definitely, as I said, the wonderful part about Eisley is how easily you can connect with the songs. I didn't even list the songs that have a personal importance to me.

I'm about an hour and a half from Carrboro. Smile
maladroit_me
Lost at Forum

Reepicheep wrote:

PS: Totally unrelated to the rest of this post, but has anyone ever given Eisley a gift? I think I'm going to see them in Carrboro, and I drew a picture that I plan to give to them, sort of a 'token of appreciation'. I was just curious if anyone else has done anything like this?

I've always wanted to give a gift to a band I like but I'm too scared. I always wanted to share my poetry with them because they inspire me to follow my dreams and not care if what I have to say is different from what someone eles has to say. They are my words so they are important (whether or not it's good is another story) but I always thought they'd laugh at me.
Joined: 09 Apr 2005 | Posts: 1299 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Reepicheep
Sea Post King

Oh, I don't think a band (especially Eisley) would laugh at your poetry! If they did, they were obviously not worth your time or... fanship.

Hmn. Fanship? You know what I mean. Very Happy
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

Brightly Wound reminds me of Peter Pan.
Reepicheep
Sea Post King

Oooh, it's so obvious, but I never thought of that! It's Wendy's song!

Even though I hate Wendy. If Peter Pan flew into your window and took you out into the night sky, to Neverland... would you come back?

I guess it could be Peter's song, too...
maladroit_me
Lost at Forum

Reepicheep wrote:
Oh, I don't think a band (especially Eisley) would laugh at your poetry! If they did, they were obviously not worth your time or... fanship.

Hmn. Fanship? You know what I mean. Very Happy

I'd still feel like a goober, but I might just do it anyway.
Joined: 09 Apr 2005 | Posts: 1299 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

I think I'll draw a picture for them sometime.