Laughing City
pzy
Wookie Luke

I just read this, I guess there was an article in the Observer a week or so ago slamming 102.1 The Edge (Dallas' alternative station) for not giving local bands a chance and succumbing to the lame clearchannelness of playing nonstop crap.

Someone from the Edge responded in letter form, I'm posting it here because it mentions Eisley a few times:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2005-06-30/news/letters.html

"Other bands that have been formally added into regular rotation on KDGE: Chomsky, Burden Brothers, Eisley, The Vanished, Grand Street Cryers, Dollybraid, Supercell, Pop Poppins, Radish (now Ben Kweller)."

(The original author responds): "Thanks for the history lesson. It's a fantastic reminder of how far 102.1 has fallen since unique bands like Radish actually had a chance. For example, The Edge has already given up on Eisley, a local band you mention in your letter, after the group's debut album came out only months ago. I'm assuming the decision was made so we could hear Toadies' "Possum Kingdom" a few billion more times."

Tee-hee.

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

i read that.

I think what the deal is the observer just changed music writers from Sarah Hepola to this guy, Sam-something, and that was his first column. He's just trying to make noise, if the Observer hated the Edge so much then why did they vote Josh's The Adventure Club ( a local music show on the Edge) best radio show in their last Observer Music Awards?

The Edge is fine, The Observer guys are just being attention whoring brats as usual.

Andrew
Lost at Forum

Oh and just to let those KDGE guys something. Spin 180 on Power FM was the first to play eisley and still did untill about a year ago when i left so i dont know if they do now.
Totally off topic.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

i found out about Eisley from The Edge, like 2 years ago...but since I've discovered Eisley, and then more bands through Eisley, i decided to stop listening to the edge...so it's not really good for them.

GODBLESS

-Nicholas
telescope_eisley
Golly, Poster

jack_stripes wrote:
i found out about Eisley from The Edge, like 2 years ago...but since I've discovered Eisley, and then more bands through Eisley, i decided to stop listening to the edge...so it's not really good for them.

true dat. i've more or less given up on the radio for music. i've found that you find the good stuff via "word-of-mouth/forum."

erinbeth84: forget pro-choice and pro-life. i'm going pro-duck.

Mr. Sean
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 598 | Location: The Colony, Tx
BenC
Golly, Poster

Our local "Alternative" station is like that, 106.something The End. They claim to be the home of new rock then turn around and play a STP song Rolling Eyes . i have heard a few good new bands on there like Mars Volta and the new Coldplay song but mostly they're living in the 90s.
CHRIS~!
Golly, Poster

The Dallas Observer sucks. Paul Nugent rules and speaks truth.
superhits
Sea Post King

BenC wrote:
Our local "Alternative" station is like that, 106.something The End. They claim to be the home of new rock then turn around and play a STP song Rolling Eyes . i have heard a few good new bands on there like Mars Volta and the new Coldplay song but mostly they're living in the 90s.

90's better than today. Most rock music today isn't very good, and Eisley is the few rock bands I can listen to in the current day that is good. Well, actually, amazing.
Yuck Monkey
Sea Post King

the observer is right, the edge is terrible. bar the 6 to 9 time slot on sunday nights, it never ever plays any new music of any kind of substance. they played telescope eyes a ton a few years back, but the guy was dead on about them giving up on eisley. never once have i heard the edge play Marvelous Things or anything else off of Room Noises.

the edge is in a terrible state, but theyre not alone. 98% of of all major "Alternative" stations in this country play the same garbage over and over, leaving the majority of local bands with no airtime or promotion of any kind.

mykatjim
Sea Post King

haha!

you know those things they play between songs? the things that say stuff the station name and some catchy slogan? i laugh inside every time the edge plays theirs.

102.1 the edge - the new rock alternative! *cut to smashing pumpkin's 1979*

new rock my arse!!!

i'm with jack_stripes though. the morning edge show was the first time i heard eisley. so i thank them for that.
Joined: 08 Nov 2003 | Posts: 201 | Location: arlington, texas