Windows
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
WINDOWS! mac sux!
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

xxAlonexx

Im a MAC guy but will use that buggy piece of trash of an operating system if I have to.

I have a 9600 PowerPC Mac thats like 10 years old and can only run Mac OS 9.1 but use my dads PowerMac G4 laptop running OS 10.3 to do all my posts and stuff.

You cant evan plug a windows computer in to the wall without getting hacked!
(exaggeration)

P.S. Only one vote please.
 |  | 
unclearlies
Vintage Newbie

I'm a MAC guy....I was born into that side of the fence.....and I always enjoyed it....right now I'm running on a G5 iMac....which totally rocks...yay...umm I don't "hate" windows....I just oppose it....and Bill Gates...
xxAlonexx

i envy your G5 power
 |  | 
magnetic headbot
Laughing Citizen

i made the switch to mac with my lovely powerbook last year... but i'll still use windows if i have to.

Last.fm.etsy.tumblr
xxAlonexx

magnetic headbot wrote:
i made the switch to mac with my lovely powerbook last year... but i'll still use windows if i have to.

At least you see the light.
 |  | 
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I'm sure this thread has been done before...
Bengy
Sea Post King

What the heck....where is Linux at it that list. Linux rules ALL!! Very Happy
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

Bengy wrote:
What the heck....where is Linux at it that list. Linux rules ALL!! :D

sing it brother! *waves hands* i use linux exclusively at work, it's nice.

i have a powerbook at home and i love it because it JustWorks(tm). no viruses, no spyware/adware, fast, designed well. Unless you have a specific need for windows like a certain game or something then save up and get a mac. if you already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse then get a mac mini, the new ones with 512M ram are sweet.

robbie
Vintage Newbie

Windows. It works perfectly and it's cheap.

Here are a few stupid things the elitist mac users say (it's just a dang machine, they both do the same thing... get over it already):

Windows makes it easier to get viruses - okay, not really a myth but it's not quite what people think. There are more viruses targeted towards windows, so therefore it is easier to get one... why are there more? Because more people use Windows. The truth is that anybody with a certain amount of common sense can avoid them. Here's where that falls short: Users. More people use Windows, PCs are cheaper, which ultimately leads to more beginners/computer ignorant/uninformed people using the machine. Why does that matter? Because when people see something pop up that says "YOU HAVE VIRUSES! Send us your credit card number so that we can send you our This-totally-isn't-a-virus program" and they click on it... you have trouble. Whenever you increase the pool of users and their range of abilities you will have more reports of problems.

Windows is buggy - Sure, every piece of software has some bugs, but the majority of windows bugs don't come from the OS... they come from bad drivers. Since Microsoft allows practically anybody to write a driver for their system (they don't really allow, but you get it) that increases the number of manufacturers creating products for it, which also increases the range of experience creating those products. What happens is that you get buggy drivers that can cause system problems. What that also means is that since Windows is this big universal OS that will allow all combinations of hardware from all types of company then sometimes these drivers have issues with each other. Microsofts endeavor is a big one... make a machine that is compatible with all software/hardware and combinations of both, that is powerful enough for the most advanced users but easy enough for the beginners. And you don't think that there'll be some bugs? Of course there will be. Mac would have them too if they gave you more options, but you don't really have many.

Microsoft is evil - They practice business the same way as Apple. They buy smaller companies and lay-off part of their staff, then slap their name on the product. The difference is that at least Microsoft develops for Apple. I get so sick of Apple buying up products that I use and discontinuing support for it in an attempt to make me buy their machine. Apple creates this "hip" factor around all their products that makes you feel like you have to own the newest thing. It's a machine, it computes... it doesn't need to be a fashion statement. Steve Jobs is no more or less evil than Bill Gates is.

The truth is that they both do the same thing. They both do it well. There is nothing that a Windows machine does better or worse than a Mac machine. There was a time when a Mac was better for audio/video (like 8 years ago people, most of you weren't even using computers back then)... but that simply isn't the truth anymore.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

ok viruses and spyware are more common in the windows world because the operating system is a bigger target and i'll also agree that windows can have stability issues because they strive to support everything under the sun.

but, and here's my point, why put up with any of that if you don't have to? maybe you're an architect and you *have* to have AutoCAD, ok use windows. If you apply the security updates when they come out, have a good virus scanner and keep it updated, and have installed spybot+adaware and keep them updated then great its gonna work just fine. Otherwise, just get a mac and save youself the trouble.

(i'm def. not an os fanboy of any sorts, i run whatever works best for the task at hand. at work on the backend i use linux, for workstations i use xp, and at home i use my powerbook)

VelvetBrownTeddy
Sea Post King

Windows. My brother is a geek, and he has heard/read things about Macs that arn't good. My family just got a new HP our old one crashed but it lasted about 8 years. the old one and the new one both had/have Windows.

Smiles and Love
Joy Very Happy

brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

Where's the both option?

And once Intel Apple laptops are here... you'd probably be able to dualboot OSX and Windows.
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 | Posts: 472 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
PeterTimesTwo
Sea Post King

Bengy wrote:
What the heck....where is Linux at it that list. Linux rules ALL!! Very Happy

right on.

Although, since I last wiped my harddrive, I haven't reinstalled yet. I've just been too lazy and havent been on there enough to take the time to dual boot.

what distro do you use?

Peter is the Dolphin
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gRegor
the gEek

There was a discussion in one of my classes once about why Windows is more prone to viruses. Someone raised an interesting point that with Mac OS being based on *nix now, it's possible that hackers are less likely to target it due to open-source sympathies vs. anger at Big Business.

But yeah, having an OS that supports a lot of diverse software and hardware also opens things up to be easier to mess with on Windows. To the best of my knowledge, *nix has always been built with security at the forefront, wheras Windows was typically more about ease of use first, and security was an afterthought.