Laughing City
Jay
Golly, Poster

i tried the veg thing, but i wasn't taking enough suppliments or something and i just felt like crap all the time. after 4 months i had to go back to eating meat.

it wasnt some moral thing or nothin, i just wanted to be healthier. now i found out that the way i went about converting to being a veg was probably the worst way. so research it if youre gonna try it kids, i didnt and it made me feel crap.

Konstantinoupoli
Sea Post King

who cares about being healthy?

I am 17 as well, but I smoke, drink and enjoy life to the full. It's not as if your healthiness is going to pay off in the afterlife or anything, I appreciate people's points of principle, and often admire them, yet I find them pretty pointless in most cases.

Funnily enough as I write this (in my office in a greek restaraunt of my dads), I am next to a fridge stocked full of really good cypriot beer, think i might bust out a few bottles and celebrate unhealthiness before I go out for my nice unhealthy chinese with friends. Wink

Jay
Golly, Poster

its not about an afterlife, its about this life, and if you die at 55 of lung cancer or 45 of a heart attack, or liver disease at 60 because you smoked yourself silly or drank way too much or werent mindful of what you ate...then you cut a big chunk out of this life, and if you look at being unhealthy and feeling like crap all the time, then an even bigger chunk.

i'm not preaching, but part of my idea of a good life is being healthy.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

gRegor? We've got some more off-topic gibberish over here... Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Jay wrote:
i tried the veg thing, but i wasn't taking enough suppliments or something and i just felt like crap all the time. after 4 months i had to go back to eating meat.

it wasnt some moral thing or nothin, i just wanted to be healthier. now i found out that the way i went about converting to being a veg was probably the worst way. so research it if youre gonna try it kids, i didnt and it made me feel crap.

Really, I had almost the exact opposite experience. I felt better when I was veggie. And for the past couple of weeks, I've been contemplating going back to it.

Konstantinoupoli
Sea Post King

Jay wrote:
its not about an afterlife, its about this life, and if you die at 55 of lung cancer or 45 of a heart attack, or liver disease at 60 because you smoked yourself silly or drank way too much or werent mindful of what you ate...then you cut a big chunk out of this life, and if you look at being unhealthy and feeling like crap all the time, then an even bigger chunk.

i'm not preaching, but part of my idea of a good life is being healthy.

who cares? I've got a good gym membership.

Jay
Golly, Poster

guitarfreak217 wrote:
Jay wrote:

Really, I had almost the exact opposite experience. I felt better when I was veggie. And for the past couple of weeks, I've been contemplating going back to it.

see, i just have a weirdly high metabolism and it takes a lot more than the RDA of vitamins and things to get me through. my doc gave me a plan of how to 'do it right' for the way my body works, but i moved to new york and yeah...i didnt stick with it :\. i want to feel healthy, and i'd guess it would help with the migraine headaches too.

madsenfan35
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:
gRegor? We've got some more off-topic gibberish over here... Wink

Laughing

Major props to Stacy. I want to be a vegetarian. So far I've eliminated a few meats. What's stopping me? My parents. They think I'm being troublesome and they have to make me a whole separate meal if I'm going to be a vegetarian. But I try.

- Dougie Payne, bassist of Travis
================================
http://www.xanga.com/madsenfan35
Joined: 09 Feb 2004 | Posts: 544 | Location: Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

madsenfan35 wrote:
What's stopping me? My parents. They think I'm being troublesome and they have to make me a whole separate meal if I'm going to be a vegetarian. But I try.

Oooh, that is a pain. What if you offered to cook for yourself? There are loads of vegetarian cookbooks out there. If you don't know how to cook yet, tell your parents you want to learn, and they might be more open to your decision when they see you want to be a bit more self-sufficient.

But if your parents are kitchen-Nazis like mine and don't want anyone else cooking on their stove, that might not be an option. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
madsenfan35
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:
madsenfan35 wrote:
What's stopping me? My parents. They think I'm being troublesome and they have to make me a whole separate meal if I'm going to be a vegetarian. But I try.

Oooh, that is a pain. What if you offered to cook for yourself? There are loads of vegetarian cookbooks out there. If you don't know how to cook yet, tell your parents you want to learn, and they might be more open to your decision when they see you want to be a bit more self-sufficient.

But if your parents are kitchen-Nazis like mine and don't want anyone else cooking on their stove, that might not be an option. Wink

Haha, no they aren't kitchen nazis!

I actually own a vegetarian cookbook. But all the items require soo many ingredients. And all sorts of herbs and spices that I would have to go out and buy. And I do get lazy sometimes and just wish there was food lying around that I don't have to prepare. I probably should have gone to some extremely liberal arts college, because they usually have good vegetarian/vegan fare. My school only offers like 1 item that is vegetarian. It's quite sad.

- Dougie Payne, bassist of Travis
================================
http://www.xanga.com/madsenfan35
Joined: 09 Feb 2004 | Posts: 544 | Location: Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA
pullmyhair
Sea Post King

yes, at dinner she was talking about how she was a vegetarian for awhile. why is everyone so into their personal life, though..?
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

pullmyhair wrote:
yes, at dinner she was talking about how she was a vegetarian for awhile. why is everyone so into their personal life, though..?

That was a borderline Andrew comment.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

pullmyhair wrote:

i'm as against the dating/hair color/criminal records threads as the next person, but i think this case is different. if they didn't want it noticed or being discussed, they obviously wouldn't have done an interview with peta, so in my opinion it's fair game.
presidentofantarctica
Sea Post King

As long as nobody actually says they support PETA itself, it's all good. Eating vegetarian sounds like an easy way to stay healthy, and healthy is good, so good for her.
pktechgirl
Sea Post King

[quote="Jay"][quote="guitarfreak217"]
Jay wrote:

I have an extremely high metabolism (I think some say it's a health thing... Idk) and I have to eat a high meat content because it is the only thing that is substantial for me. I went without meat for three days while I stayed with some family friends (my whole family, actually) and I was horribly sick and run down. I was sick for over a week because of it. My doctor asks me everytime he sees me if I am eating more meat, because I can get very sick if I don't.

That, and I love eating meat.

So I guess props to those who can do it. I know I can't and I wouldn't want to anyway. Plus, when I took a healthy eating class, the nutritionist was uber against vegetarianism because it can be very dangerous if you do not get the proper intake of fat and protein. Your body needs more fat and protein than carbohydrates (found also in fruits and vegetables -- a lot of carbs in them) in order to function properly because carbs are quick energy and fat is more long term and stays with you much longer.

I've had friends who went veg and they got really sick. I've only known one or two people all my life who weren't sick all the time and were vegetarians. One friend of mine got talked out of it by friends, family, and the nutritionist because she was uber sick constantly and very run down. (She was not eating enough in general, though.) And another, who is Hindu, went back and forth between eating and not eating meat. Her parents eventually talked her out of it because she got so sick when she didn't eat meat (she's petite and has a high metabolism [not as high as me, but high]).

Whatever ruffles your skirts! If you want to, just get the facts first.

And about PETA, people need to get the facts first before supporting them. Razz

ryan fisher wrote:
pullmyhair wrote:

i'm as against the dating/hair color/criminal records threads as the next person, but i think this case is different. if they didn't want it noticed or being discussed, they obviously wouldn't have done an interview with peta, so in my opinion it's fair game.

True that.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>