Laughing City
sweeeeet
Golly, Poster

OK, I need to know because I want to be a better guitar player myself, but maybe Boyd or Kim could help with this question-when Chauntelle, Sherri and Stacy pick their chords do they use guitar picks or their fingers? I stink so bad at picking, if I use a pick I end up dropping it because it's slippery and if I use my fingers, lots of times I pick the wrong strings and get messed up. Strumming I have no problem with. And which way is easiest for any guitar player?
Does this post make sense?

norad
Vintage Newbie

sherri and chauntelle use picks.
and stacy finger picks during just like we do.
Clark
Vintage Newbie

They definately use picks. I've never seen Sherri or Chauntelle fingerpick. Although Stacy does in "Just Like We Do". And as far as which is easier... using a pick is probably the easiest. Everyone has trouble using a pick when they first start out. Just takes practice. It will become easier. Promise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sweeeeet
Golly, Poster

Yeah, I just saw Just Like We Do on Myspace and Stacy was fingerpicking, and I thought well D-word, she's fingerpicking! That's cool why can't I do that??????
boone
Vintage Newbie

You can always use Gator Grip picks or use Gorilla Snot to keep picks from slipping. Or maybe it just comes down to practicing with a pick more.

But if you can strum with your fingers, and it's okay, then just don't use a pick.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I use an xacto knife and cut grooves into my picks. As far as hitting the right strings, I just don't think about it. And sometimes it sounds better when I mess up.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
judd
Sea Post King

maybe you can try a softer, maybe nylon pick.

hard and thick ones are more difficult to start out with.

myspace.com/juddortiz
abusedcat
Sea Post King

i use a pick when i play electric, and 3/4 of the time when i play acoustic i don't. when you're recording, though, chances are you should use a pick.
Joined: 03 Jan 2006 | Posts: 81 | Location: San Francisco, CA
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

it all depends on the sound and tone you are trying to get out of the guitar. honestly, don't go one way or the other. practice with both. it's important to be able to play with a pick and to play without.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I think BOTH are really hard. I'm a bass player, so I pluck... even when I play guitar Embarassed

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

loveisachemical wrote:
it all depends on the sound and tone you are trying to get out of the guitar. honestly, don't go one way or the other. practice with both. it's important to be able to play with a pick and to play without.

Unless you're Lindsay Buckingham.

rockstarcliche
Sea Post King

also, you might want to try using a different thickness of pick.
my brothers like light picks, one of my friends likes medium picks, and i prefer heavy or extra heavy because i hold on to them better. also, you could look at shell picks or wooden picks because they may be less slippery.
fingerpicking is fun though Smile

jeannette84xx
Sea Post King

Picks can be pretty slippery, I'd suggest using ones that aren't a completely flat surface. Like the ones with engravings of whatever brand it is usually has a better grip. I "found" one of sherri's picks, the words on it are like indented so it gives it some texture to hold onto
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Practice gripping the pick, too. You'll build strength, and maybe you need to try different angles on it. I've never really needed any kind of grip. But my hands might be stronger. But I assure you, I have no extraordinary strength, nor do I have anything resembling large fingers.

And if it helps you feel better, I saw Sherri drop her pick in the middle of a song once. They had to stop because she didn't have an extra (and you will notice that she usually has a few around nowadays). She was probably none too happy about it, but it was pretty funny, and I don't think anyone cared.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pullmyhair
Sea Post King

i think finger picking is much more easier for some reason. i have trouble with picks