Laughing City
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

I guess I'm feeling kinda down these days. It feels like we've been at this for so long...well, we have...my kid's started making music in 1998, and Boyd and I, (as well as our whole family), have poured so much of our lives into seeing that Eisley's incredible music gets out there.
Eisley has tons of fans, and tons of people that "get" Eisley, but I feel so tired.
Tired of waiting to see if they will ever get to make a living at what they do.
Wondering why WB didn't see a radio song on Room Noises, and personally feeling like there were at least 3 radio songs off of that album that, (like radio or not), bands make it or not, if they get to radio.

WB has been so good to Eisley in so many ways, so this is not a beef with them, just an overwhelmed feeling of....when is this band going to be able to make a living? Should/could there have been at least one song pushed to radio? It's not my money, or my years of experience to make those decisions, or even understand why some bands get pushed, that suck and band's like Eisley....well....I just don't know, or understand.

This band has sold over 64,000 cd's without any mainstream radio play. They have over 70,000+ fans, (and I feel like that is due to all of our efforts combined). WB, management, us, you guys....all have help to spread the word....so what does it take?

Why do so many crappy bands soar to the top, pass Eisley like a shooting star, and have their freaking faces on cribs in 1 year? (not that Eisley cares to attain that.) Just peeved that sucky bands get so much freaking attention and push by their labels, (whoever their label may be), get their suck a%& songs on radio, and boom, they're making a living...a huge living.

Eisley makes incredible music. We here all know this and believe it.
No, you won't see any of the girls in Eisley getting boob jobs, or taking their clothes off, or acting like sluts to sell their songs, or posing nude in Vanity Fair. So, does that mean that they can't get the push they need because of that?

So many years of supporting....so many years of being patient....I'm sorry....I'm just trying to deal with the disappointments that I have had in this whole deal. I don't feel like Eisley has been given the best fair chance to see what would happen. I don't know what that statement means really. I'm not blaming WB at all...they've given a generous amount of support.
I'm not blaming anyone! Honestly. I know it all boils down to money. We certainly don't have it, and I know that when it's someone's else's money, they have to calculate their risks. I just feel like 64,000 cd's sold with no radio play, is a pretty good indicator that if they had been given the chance for radio on any of the songs off of Room Noises, it would have exploded.

Maybe my vision is clouded because these are my kid's making this incredible music.....sorry for unloading....what do you guys feel?
And I am not looking for insults to their former management, or their label. I will shut this thread down if that starts happening, because we have respect for the management they have now, and for WB.

I just want your opinions on songs from Room Noises that could have gone to radio, in your opinion, and how you think that would have helped their career thus far.

The songs coming up on the new album, (if they are given that chance), will blow you all away. Here's holding on to hope...and feeling like I'm at the knot at the end of the rope! Smile

Your thoughts are welcome at this point...

Thanks,

kd's journal entry Wink

P.S. It's a good thing that Boyd does the journaling so that you guys can get all the rosy stuff from him. I'm so thankful that he can stay positive, and sometimes....against all odds. That's not my gift....I live in reality...too much!
guitargalash
Golly, Poster

It is rediculous that they aren't getting what they deserve when some other bands who have little to no talent are getting more. I have often talked about this with my friends about how Eisley is working so hard yet it seems they arent getting the money they deserve. I wish there were a was a way in which the fans could help more. It saddens me that you are left feeling like this especially after the release of Room Noises, I wish I could change it too! I just know that if Eisley made money off the happiness that there music has brought many of the fans, they would be billionaires! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it took major guts to spill it to us fans! Take care!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I think Brightly Wound has had a really good reaction, after what's-hois-face has played it. Bob Harris? is that his name... something like that. I think it fitted. Especially since he played Regina Spektor straight after once. And becuase Cara Dillon has been on the playlist... It fits with what's happening over here.

Aside from that, Plenty of Paper I think, although it's a grower, is more rocky - there are loads of bands right now that are following on from the Arctic Monkeys. le sigh. le huge sigh. For that reason, maybe TE.

Aside from all the radio play, I think it is a testament as to how good Eisley are that they've sold that many records and people have brought friends to shows, spread the word, that they've grown. But sometimes, I think the better bands are the ones that don't get radio play. I just thought of this... If the music is bad, no-one will hear of it unless it's endorsed by the radio. Radio's sole purpose is to bring the music to the people. Now, if they endorse rubbish music, many people will buy rubbish music. Like the Arctic Monkeys - as a case study, not becuase i dislike their music (I don't think they play well at all, so it's not a case of disliking their music): they got huge because NME endorsed them, massivo. So the public believed that it was cool to like AM. But what they play is mediocre.

But a band like Eisley, for some reason, doesn't get airplay. But maybe WB is waiting for the right time. Morning Runner, for instance, was basically hated by every person - bar 4 other fans - early summer last year. Now, becuase everyone is playing that kind of music [in a nutshell], they've got huge, and are playing numerous sold out shows on their current tour, becuase of their one current single being endorsed by the radio. I don't know what the mainstream music scene is like in the USA, so I can just postulate that WB are waiting for the "right time" both for the band and for the radio.

But don't beat yourself up over this, Kim. Your kids play wonderful music, and have a strong fan base, which is growing. And that is, as you say, a testament to their talent.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Last edited by mad_sam_purple'ead on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Andrew
Lost at Forum

Id say marvelous things, I always have its got the feel clarity and dynamics for radio (gotta love radio with their 40/1 compression). Id say 1 week on top 40 would get you guys a gold, I just wonder how much it costs to get it in the line up in all the major cities in the country. But marvy things is my choice for radio.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Grantticus
Golly, Poster

each song that was chosen to shoot a video for
Marvelous Things (ok, that was from the EP)
Telescope Eyes
I Wasn't Prepared

each of those should have been on the radio.

I know you're not trying to blame anyone
but i'm sure there's people who could have and should have done something about this.

a petition anyone? haha. i kid i kid

but seriously
is there a way for us to get this sorted?

p.s. i love how you ended your post with positivity, kim! good stuff! heh

scruples
Sea Post King

All I know is radio can be overrated
I haven't heard a song that I've liked, on the radio in 5 years (except for some crazy college station that plays all kinds of classical and super indie stuff)
Just remember Kim, God has a plan Wink

-------------------------------------------------------
There once was a boy named Joel,
He found a stick
Down by the sea.
| Myspace |
New IM feel free to say hi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

i think that the most "radio-friendly" song on the album was My lovely. You have to remember that not everyone is going to embrace bats with butterfly wings and humming meadows. My lovely has a great upbeat, sweet, feeling that I think really would have made it on radio.

And you're right, Eisley should be making enough money to afford their own personal starbucks right in your kitchen. Complete with the guy to make 'em, and those big cozy chairs. And I think the time will come. If the new album is as edgy as I anticipate, I forsee some greater luck with radio audiences. just hold tight! This was only the first album!

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

scruples wrote:

Just remember Kim, God has a plan Wink
that's very tue! Smile

had another thought about what would make best radio play from the album: Golly Sandra. Simplicity in the lyrics - ie, easily understandable - upbeat, happy. SUmmery! Smile

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
rottenxbeauty
Sea Post King

Some very good points made
But unfortunately it seems that's what it's like with a lot of really great bands - the stereotypical ones always seem get the status that isn't deserved
But over the last year there's been amazing things happen! Room Noises came out, they had interviews all over the place and I feel it was a great year for the band. I think this year will be just as great and I'm sure they'll get the attention they deserve. No doubt Very Happy

Caley
Lost at Forum

I think it's pretty awesome that a band without radio play at all can sell around 60,000 records! The music and originality does the talking for them and it catches a lot of people's attention even without help... I think when Eisley gets played on the radio then that must mean that radio isn't playing sucky music anymore or that they'll be one of the only indie bands, probably alongside Death Cab for Cutie, getting played on mainly sucky alternative stations (a la stations that claim MCR as their favorite band).

And as for the possible explosive singles from Room Noises that could've emerged, I think if Telescope Eyes would have been really shoved out there Eisley would've broken through. Why? Well, from everybody that has vaguely heard of Eisley knows of TE and has liked it. So I think it would've caught a lot of people's attention who hadn't heard of Eisley as a kick butt song, and for Eisley a foot-in-the-door type of song. Then I think they could've put out Memories, Brightly Wound, I Wasn't Prepared, or Plenty of Paper... maybe even Marvelous Things depending how many new listeners liked their sound and awesome creativity. But a lot of people who are really mainstream don't appreciate horses growing out of lawns or mermaid entwined shrubbery, or maybe I'm not giving them a chance and I'm being stereotypical-- who knows.

But I cannot think of a band that deserves to be heard like Eisley does. Their music is so refreshing and wonderful! No other band's music can make me smile, cry, want to sing along to (no matter how much I suck compared to Sherri's and Stacy's amazing vocals), and be wowed by their creativity. So yeah... Eisley should've been given that chance because they deserve it.

breathless
Sea Post King

Thanks for sharing, Kim...verily it sucketh that so many popular bands now are not much good and Eisley is this incredible band, of good people too, that's well loved and yet not at the top. God's used it in my life and Im sure others', and I bet He's got something magnificent planned for the future of the band.
As for radio, I agree that Telescope Eyes, Golly Sandra, and My Lovely would be great.

amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

i've actually been wondering why Eisley hasn't gotten any radio play yet... i think it's a market they could suceed in, because they are making a different, special kind of music. people are interested in new things, in things that aren't exactly what they're used to. i'd love to hear them on the radio some day... soon.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
Caley
Lost at Forum

breathless wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Kim...verily it sucketh that so many popular bands now are not much good and Eisley is this incredible band, of good people too, that's well loved and yet not at the top. God's used it in my life and Im sure others', and I bet He's got something magnificent planned for the future of the band.

Amen to that!

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

The5thavocado wrote:
i think that the most "radio-friendly" song on the album was My lovely. You have to remember that not everyone is going to embrace bats with butterfly wings and humming meadows. My lovely has a great upbeat, sweet, feeling that I think really would have made it on radio.

And you're right, Eisley should be making enough money to afford their own personal starbucks right in your kitchen. Complete with the guy to make 'em, and those big cozy chairs. And I think the time will come. If the new album is as edgy as I anticipate, I forsee some greater luck with radio audiences. just hold tight! This was only the first album!

I agree with My Lovely as radio-friendly more than any other. It sounds made for radio (I hope that doesn't sound like a critism of the song, it is just more "pop" sounding than the others). So I won't throw in any of my others which I prefer over that. I know that song would have been top 40 on the pop charts, probably top 20 if MTV adopted it as one of their favorites. I have no doubt.

Good luck on the new album, tour. Hope all the bands' dreams of making a living at this start coming true.
okay cace face.
Sea Post King

i think "telescope eyes", "marvelous things", "my lovely", or "i wasn't prepared" could have easily been on the radio.

maybe even "golly sandra".

even if "marvelous things" and "golly sandra" are a little out there for some people, they are as catchy as nobody's business from the very beginning.

i am so in love with all of their songs, but i feel better about being in love with their music when i feel like it is coming from amazing and genuine people.

so i feel like when the general public actually get a chance to hear them, they will latch on to that about the band, even beyond their music.

maybe this is off topic, or not a very good response to what the original issue was. sorry, i am having a difficult time trying to explain myself with this, and i'm kind of scrambling to make sense out of what i'm saying.

i want them to make it. i really, really, really do. but part of me (selfishly) still doesn't want to share their wonderfulness with the rest of the world. haha.

and i agree with what a few others have said, radio can be overrated, and not always a fair judgment of how much fan appreciation a band has.

i hope it all works out for you guys.

because it is certainly deserved.