Laughing City
DistortedSound
Sea Post King

Hey just wondering, does anyone know if sherri or stacy took vocal lessons or is it just natural to them?????
Joined: 27 Jul 2005 | Posts: 107 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Clark
Vintage Newbie

If i'm not mistaken, their mother, Kim, was their vocal coach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abusedcat
Sea Post King

i need a vocal coach Laughing seriously, my voice is awful if i dont play upbeat songs or if i have to hold out notes.
Joined: 03 Jan 2006 | Posts: 81 | Location: San Francisco, CA
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

I did a lot of singing to, and with all of my kids. It seems that they all picked up on the ability...even Collin.
I am not sure about Weston, because he never sings seriously Rolling Eyes
They did take three lessons from the lady that trained Jessica Simpson, but after those three lessons, she knew that they were not going for the Jessica Simpson style, and she just encouraged them to keep up with what they were already doing, gave them some vocal cd lessons that they never took the time to practice with, and that is about it.

When I talk to singers that feel like they are not quite where they want to be, and cannot afford lessons, this is my advice:

Find several singers that you really like their voice and their styles.
Find ones that would challenge you out of your range, as well as help you to practice in your range.
Sing with a recorder to the singers you have picked out. Then play back what you have recorded. If you are not nailing the notes, or you hear notes that you missed, go back over those parts and redo them until you get them right.
This helps to train your ear.
I hate it when vocalist miss notes and do not care, or even know. grrr!

When you begin to do things out of your range, make sure you figure out how to not let your throat close up and choke down when you are trying to hit notes out of your comfortable range. This can take tons of practice before you can flow into it naturally.
Once you figure it out, it kind of finally becomes natural.
If you cannot figure it out, see if you can find a vocal coach to give you a few lessons on using your head voice, and on breathing correctly.
Finally, one of the best things I was ever told was, to let what is inside of you, come out. It's ok to take pieces of styles from other singers and make it your voice, but also let what is you come out too.
Also, sing some everyday....your vocal chords are muscles. They get weak without exercise, but also, don't over do it.
Singing incorrectly can also damage your vocal chords, so if you are concerned, you might need to have a professional teacher listen to the way you sing.
I am not a professional, and do not claim to be....I've just been a singer since I was 5 years old.
My vocal training consisted of 3 private lessons with my choir teacher, and then my family could not afford lessons anymore, so the things I told you above, is what I did, and still do to constantly try and better my skills.
That's my two cents and it's 4:00 a.m. so I'm too sleepy to do a spell check on this.
g'night all....
kd
Bzdnika
Sea Post King

i've found, that singing whenever possible to whatever you can always helps. i sing whenever possible no matter who's around. that also helps if you're a bit shy about singing for people. but not everybody will like the way you sing, even if you're good, different people have different tastes. having an instrument handy always helps me, too. just never give up!
"You gotta think about a'starvin people gotta eat sand to survive. Sand ain't got no nurtrients...I know, 'cuz I eat it constantly. I got zero energy, i cough all the time, my diet's bad and zzzz.....zzzz....zzzz.....zzz.....zzz.."
-Meatwad
mattplayscheap
Sea Post King

haha kim is soooooo right!!!!
and yeah i think it's awesome how she tought them what they know!! i was talking about it this morning too a friend on how amazing the Dupree family is for being such a close unit who seem too learn from each other... but then again i dont know them personally it's just my impression!

breathless
Sea Post King

Wow, thanks for all the advice, Kim.
Eisley is one of the bands that showed me you can have a higher voice and still sound cool, if you know what I mean. My voice is very soprano-like, and I'd always just sung opera type songs before when I wanted to work on my voice.

I think the thing that's made me sing more is my iPod.....I can sing along and pretend no one can hear me since I cannot hear myself Very Happy

judd
Sea Post King

Kimbrtones wrote:

Amen to that.

myspace.com/juddortiz
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Sweet tips, Kim! Thanks for posting those. I haven't had the time for vocal lessons for the past couple of years, and my voice has been deteriorating steadily because of that and all the soda I drink at work... but I do sing all the time when I'm delivering pizzas. Lately I've been listening to tons of Brandi Carlile, and she really pushes my range. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
photomemory
Sea Post King

Kimbrtones wrote:
When I talk to singers that feel like they are not quite where they want to be, and cannot afford lessons, this is my advice:

Find several singers that you really like their voice and their styles.
Find ones that would challenge you out of your range, as well as help you to practice in your range.
Sing with a recorder to the singers you have picked out. Then play back what you have recorded. If you are not nailing the notes, or you hear notes that you missed, go back over those parts and redo them until you get them right.
This helps to train your ear.

When you begin to do things out of your range, make sure you figure out how to not let your throat close up and choke down when you are trying to hit notes out of your comfortable range. This can take tons of practice before you can flow into it naturally.
Once you figure it out, it kind of finally becomes natural.
If you cannot figure it out, see if you can find a vocal coach to give you a few lessons on using your head voice, and on breathing correctly.
Finally, one of the best things I was ever told was, to let what is inside of you, come out. It's ok to take pieces of styles from other singers and make it your voice, but also let what is you come out too.
Also, sing some everyday....your vocal chords are muscles. They get weak without exercise, but also, don't over do it.
Singing incorrectly can also damage your vocal chords, so if you are concerned, you might need to have a professional teacher listen to the way you sing.
I am not a professional, and do not claim to be....I've just been a singer since I was 5 years old.
My vocal training consisted of 3 private lessons with my choir teacher, and then my family could not afford lessons anymore, so the things I told you above, is what I did, and still do to constantly try and better my skills.
That's my two cents and it's 4:00 a.m. so I'm too sleepy to do a spell check on this.
g'night all....
kd

that's what i do!!!!!!!! and also, if you have a choir at your school, don't feel afraid to join it. it'll help you learn notes and how to stay in tone, they'll give you breathing exercises and whatnot.

yepyep.

RollingPasture
Sea Post King

Hah that used to be the case with me, but now we have 30+ kids in our choir. Seriously, it's a huge room, and it's packed. I can't even hear myself half the time, so I don't even know if I'm singing the note.

You really don't need lessons from a professional teacher, unless you want to go down the road of Jessica Simpson. Just following Kim's tips works very well, I used to do it all the time. It was great.

And don't be discouraged if your voice starts losing it's luster during puberty. It just happens. It sucks big time, but there's nothing that can be done about it except keep going.

The hiiiiiills are aliiiiiiiiive.
Joined: 30 Nov 2005 | Posts: 451 | Location: Jolly Old Kansas
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

I love singing, I agree that it is good to sing constantly, always sing, if that is what you enjoy doing. I have learned, from experience, that some people will want you to shut up and some will be more appreciative/think you have a lovely voice. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

Just don't be afraid to open yourself up. You have to be able to do that if you really want to share what yoo got.

x Rachel x

lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

i love to sing. i'm in like this group called caroliers. and we sing all these songs in Latin and it's really nifty because nobody understands what you're saying...i never took voice lessons. i guess to some people it just comes naturally Very Happy
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I learned to sing from my mom. She sang a lot in the car, at home, at church, and she's good at picking up harmonies. So, I would sing with her, copy her, and I ended up sounding a lot like her.

In church choir I was taught:

To hit high notes, sing with your head.
To hit low notes, sing from your gut.

\Try it, it works.
And always, always keep your throat open.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

I'll tell you, all those hymns I sing at church really push my range.

goto page
 | next >>