Laughing City
blue-angel
Sea Post King

Hello

I was listening to the pod cast and i noticed one of the girls said they grew up without tv. Now some may consider this cruel, others an opportunity, but i was wondering if this was a decision made for their well being.
Did boyd/kim decide that it may be beneficial for their children to be protected from the impact of the material on television. Were there other reasons? This may be considered an intrusive question but i was curious. I have friends who grew up without tv and they thought it was a negative thing. They were never exposed to the world, but in i suppose there are other means for one to become cultured.

Everyone is welcome to share their opinion.

p.s. Did anybody else think that chauntelle had a beautiful voice. I was listening to the interview and thinking that is the nicest voice i have ever heard. She should definitely sing more on the forthcoming albums. She seemed the most relaxed too.

anyhoo...yeah reply with an educated response. Rolling Eyes
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

I can give the answer about TV for the band.
The reason they did not have tv, was because we lived about 18 miles out of town, and the cable company stopped 3 miles from our house.
We got fuzzy local channels that were too irritating to watch.
As far as trying to protect them, we did watch lots of rented videos, and we watched things that, (as parents), felt were age appropriate.
We did not really shield them from the world. We have always been open, and honest about what is going on in society around us, and we have discussed it as a family, and agreed on our value system in regards to those issues.
Whatever they may be.
I have always made it clear to my kid's that there is nothing too sacred, (for lack of a better word), to discuss. They could come to me with any subject, and we would discuss it.
Having said all that, the limited TV gave them the extra time to spend their energies on other things. They chose instruments and singing, basically because Boyd and I have always been musical.
I DID crack down on video games! I HATE THOSE! They suck the life and brains out of a child. I know I'll get flack for that because people say they teach other skills. But, I have seen the difference in the older kid's that did not have much tv, and limited video game exposure, and now with Collin who does have tv and video games.
Collin can sing, play guitar, drums, and piano, all by ear, and is amazing, but he won't spend anytime applying himself, because he would rather watch tv, or play video games. Confused
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
I can give the answer about TV for the band.
The reason they did not have tv, was because we lived about 18 miles out of town, and the cable company stopped 3 miles from our house.
We got fuzzy local channels that were too irritating to watch.
As far as trying to protect them, we did watch lots of rented videos, and we watched things that, (as parents), felt were age appropriate.
We did not really shield them from the world. We have always been open, and honest about what is going on in society around us, and we have discussed it as a family, and agreed on our value system in regards to those issues.
Whatever they may be.
I have always made it clear to my kid's that there is nothing too sacred, (for lack of a better word), to discuss. They could come to me with any subject, and we would discuss it.
Having said all that, the limited TV gave them the extra time to spend their energies on other things. They chose instruments and singing, basically because Boyd and I have always been musical.
I DID crack down on video games! I HATE THOSE! They suck the life and brains out of a child. I know I'll get flack for that because people say they teach other skills. But, I have seen the difference in the older kid's that did not have much tv, and limited video game exposure, and now with Collin who does have tv and video games.
Collin can sing, play guitar, drums, and piano, all by ear, and is amazing, but he won't spend anytime applying himself, because he would rather watch tv, or play video games. Confused

i'm not giving you any flak, but videogames have taught me a lot. they taught me good hand eye coordination, strategic skills, and i even learned the basics on driving at age 8 (i'm not saying i could drive at 8, just that it helped me when the time came.) and it was hard learning those types of things when both of your parents worked and didnt get home until 6:00 at night. but dont get me wrong, i read, watched tv, rode my bike... a lot, and did other kid related things, its just videogames have taught me things my parents didnt have time to do.

but i geuss the ironic thing is, that when i get children of my own i want to disassociate them as much as possible from the mainstream media. mainly tv, because the only thing that tv has done for me is make me lazy.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue-angel
Sea Post King

Firstly thanks to kim for replying to the post. I justed wanted to know what the idea was behind that. Yes i may be a little intrusive.
I believe that video games to develop a childs skills, from hand eye coordination to puzzle solving skills. However i also believe that children should allow themselve the opportunity to explore other forms of entertainment. I hold the belief that too few children read enough these days. Now this may because of the parents or the god awful education system we have here in england/wales. When i was a kid i played video games but i also did all the things most kids do, building tree houses, riding bikes and so on. I mainly spent my time drawing and reading history books. It must be said though that video games allow a child to grow...to an extent.
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

I grew up without much TV. Like the Duprees, we lived way out in the country and could only pick up fuzzy local channels. We watched Saturday morning cartoons, and when we got older, we would sneak out of bed and watch Baywatch.
We didn't have any musical instruments, so we spent our time in the woods playing make believe.
My husband and I had TV for awhile but found ourselves in front of it every night. So we cut it off. We still rent movies, but we never watch TV. I think everyone should cut their TV cable off. You'll find yourself getting a lot more done. I'm never getting cable again.

loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

I think it's fine.
I grew up without much television, and developed more productive interests.
I see my little cousins wasting their time on television and video games, and they are bums. They don't even like to go outside and play! I'll be like, "Hey, do you guys wanna go outside? We can go to the park." And they will reply, "no, we want to watch ____." When I was six or seven, and I had a cousin or someone older than me ask to play with me, I would have been so excited! Not to mention extensive television watching can increase the risk of ADD, being a bully, and having learning disorders (I just wrote a paper about it a few months ago).

Anyhow, you can restrict television watching without restricting your childs development and still exposing them to real life.

Also, instead of watching TV, we would use our imagination. Like Jamie, much of our time was spent out side in the woods playing make believe games, and also building forts, or exploring.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I grew up with a healthy dose of both. Play outside during the day, watch TV at night.

Anyone who has talked to me much can attest to the powers of my imagination. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

The TV is constantly on in my house.
Mostly because of my dad.

I've really grown to dislike it.

I used to watch a lot of TV, but I've pretty much stopped all together.
sweeeeet
Golly, Poster

I personally think it's cool for kids to stay away from TV most of the time and to just do productive things like write songs and books and practice dancing or whatever you want to do.
Andrew
Lost at Forum

I have never had cable. My parents hate it. We mostly watched PBS in our house. I wouldint say I didint watch alot of tv when I was younger. I did, but I was kept away from cable and other not so nice programing on regular tv.
And the only video games I had up untill I moved out was a NES way back in the day.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Clark
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
I DID crack down on video games! I HATE THOSE! They suck the life and brains out of a child.

I couldn't agree more. My little brother spends 90% of his life sitting in front of his computer screen with all the lights turned off. For hours and hours. It's terrible.
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

Clark wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:
I DID crack down on video games! I HATE THOSE! They suck the life and brains out of a child.

I couldn't agree more. My little brother spends 90% of his life sitting in front of his computer screen with all the lights turned off. For hours and hours. It's terrible.
My little brother wants the new gameboy. And for quite a long time he begged and begged for a gamecube.

I kind of dread that the time will come when my parents finally give in.
berlies_
Lost at Forum

Although I had TV readily available in the house I really didn't watch TV. Probably because I had 3 siblings, upwards of 8 years older than me to get to it first, but it was never that important to me.

I had this little house my did built above his shed and I'd just sit up there alone for hours upon hours. I don't even remember what I did to entertain myself, but I just knew i'd always be there.

I never really related to my parents or siblings so I was a big loner. I don't mind it, I think it really taught me to think critically about my surroundings.

I did watch tons of Disney videos though, over and over and over again.

sleepydusk
Sea Post King

I think my parents didn't let me watch TV until I was six or something. I watch it sometimes and it amuses me, but it's not something that holds all that much appeal. I guess this is good, but I have the same problem with the Internet that some people do with TV and video games so it's not like it made much of a difference.
nfgluver1423
Sea Post King

i used to watch a lot of tv when i was younger, but now i dont watch any tv anymore. i find it kinda pointless cause theres really nothing ever on that interests me.

aww and collin was brought up! i remember hanging out with him and kayla in montreal last june! 2 of the coolest kids ever.