Laughing City

Stricter rules on POINTLESS arguing & personal attacks?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

madcat2089
Sea Post King

i think too much of it has gone on here (LC) and I think stricter rules should be imposed on people; considering long-term member(s) *cough cough* have left/are leaving due to it. I know i've argued myself but this forum isn't a place for personal attacks, and lately that's all it is
ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

i think name calling and personal attacks are hurtful and should not be allowed.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

personal attacks are actually against the rules, am i right?

as far as pointless arguing, well, yeah it's annoying. but just remember that it may be pointless to YOU and significant to the people involved. so as long as you're careful about the topics in that category, i'm with you.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I think this is a really fair forum, if it were any stricter it would be a really unattractive place. Arguments happen; pointless or not, they should be worked out amongst those involved, unless of course it gets way out of hand, then a Mod should step in and do what he or she feels is right.

I've been on super lax forums, and ones with nazi-like moderation..both suck.

ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

yeah arguing should be allowed but name calling should not be allowed and i think its against the rules.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
france
Golly, Poster

Yeah, names like "Troll" Crying or Very sad

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Personal attacks are indeed against the rules, and I did call them out. It happens so fast that a lot can happen before I can do so, but I did make note of them. I used to be very transparent and public about marking violations, but that received too many negative reactions, so I try do so in a more subtle and less combustable manner these days.

As far as pointless arguing, unless I start locking every thread that gets caught in a loop, there's not much I can do. It does come down to that sometimes, but I try to avoid it.

I would hope that some of this could come down to people taking things to PM's and IM's, or at least trying not to incessantly get the last word. I know people get upset, and I know people have passionate viewpoints, but moderation alone can't assure a good, friendly community. It's up to everyone.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

The rules are already strict enough. One could argue that the enforcement is what is a little lax. But I honestly don't think things are that bad.

People have threatened to leave in the past (and they have) and people will continue to do so. This isn't new.

Arguments will happen... even pointless ones... and there's not much you can do to help that. It happens in real life too. My sister gets into pointless arguments on an hourly basis. I just don't get involved. I mean... why if it's pointless?

Personally, I don't think people should get caught up in personal attacks. If it is stupid and juvenile, then why participate? Why respond? To defend yourself against someone you find to be immature anyway? Well, you have two options. You could respond with a logical, well-reasoned, non-attacking retort. But that's not going to work against someone who is stupid and immature (as you deem them to be). And you can attack back. But by doing so you've now also broken the rules. So if you don't want to waste time writing something reasonable... and you don't want to be an attacker as well... your choice is to just ignore it and let the mods handle attacks.

But people keep getting involved. And they keep stirring things up. If you went to a site just to stir up crap... and everybody ignored you... you'd likely go away in time. I imagine it's a lot less fun to be ignored than to be yelled at. But what do I know about human nature? I'm just a hamster.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
leighish
Vintage Newbie

rmlawrence wrote:
But what do I know about human nature? I'm just a hamster.

SIGIFIED!

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
france
Golly, Poster

I wish people would vote in the socks poll too Embarassed

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!
kuhlmun
Golly, Poster

I'm against anything that gives Jamie more power Laughing

King Gallon: "You used Oswald to fight Darkova!? Let's see you try to get the good ending now!"
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 | Posts: 914 | Location: I'm not here, this isn't happening
UselessHippo
Vintage Newbie

france wrote:
Yeah, names like "Troll" Crying or Very sad

Laughing

Vintage Newbie

rmlawrence wrote:
The rules are already strict enough. One could argue that the enforcement is what is a little lax. But I honestly don't think things are that bad.

People have threatened to leave in the past (and they have) and people will continue to do so. This isn't new.

Arguments will happen... even pointless ones... and there's not much you can do to help that. It happens in real life too. My sister gets into pointless arguments on an hourly basis. I just don't get involved. I mean... why if it's pointless?

Personally, I don't think people should get caught up in personal attacks. If it is stupid and juvenile, then why participate? Why respond? To defend yourself against someone you find to be immature anyway? Well, you have two options. You could respond with a logical, well-reasoned, non-attacking retort. But that's not going to work against someone who is stupid and immature (as you deem them to be). And you can attack back. But by doing so you've now also broken the rules. So if you don't want to waste time writing something reasonable... and you don't want to be an attacker as well... your choice is to just ignore it and let the mods handle attacks.

But people keep getting involved. And they keep stirring things up. If you went to a site just to stir up crap... and everybody ignored you... you'd likely go away in time. I imagine it's a lot less fun to be ignored than to be yelled at. But what do I know about human nature? I'm just a hamster.

As the forum's resident Immature Troll Stupid Meanie, I think this post makes a lot of sense.
Hat off to you.

Vintage Newbie

As I said to Hannah recently, rules and punishment are a fine balance: If a teacher is far too strict, the kids won't listen to him or her, and disrespect them. If a teacher is far too lenient, the kids will do likewise and run a riot. It's a fine balance, and the LC does it well.

Even with rules, arguments and that will happen. It is inevitable: we all of us are human and have disagreements and the like. At points we are bound to crack and argue at some point. I like to think that all arguments are pointless. Non-pointless arguments? They're called debates. Debates are useful. (I for one can't stand it when people apologise for arguing with me when they don't see that we were having a healthy debate. Confused)
What's important is resolving the arguments. That's where the mods and the laws come in, methinks. Making rules stricter would do nothing, if anything it would make any situation a whole lot worse.

But now i'd like to quote the thing that the thread title reminded me of...
"is this the right room for an argument?"
"i've told you once..."
"no you haven't"
"yes I have.."
"when?"
"just now!"
"no you didn't"
"did"
"didn't!"
"i'm telling you I did"
"i did not!"
"oh, i'm sorry. Just one moment... is this five minutes of the full half hour?"
"ah. just the, er, five minutes..."
"ah. thankyou... Anyway, I did."

Laughing

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

actually, i think the rule should be as follows:

everyone is an idiot except for me, arielle.

see, isn't that much better?! Laughing Laughing

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene

goto page
 | next >>