Laughing City
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

(I know there a lot of Nashville posts, but it was fun, so I wanted to give my thoughts.)

Eisley
March 24, 2006
Exit/In
Nashville, TN

1. Mister Pine
2. Marvelous Things
3. The Escaping Song
4. My Lovely
5. Telescope Eyes
6. Golly, Sandra
7. I Wasn’t Prepared
8. I’ll Could Be There For You
9. Memories
10. Invasion
11. Sunfeet
12. Plenty of Paper
13. Like the Actors
14. Many Funerals

(I typed the set list into my phone as the show progressed, I think it is accurate, but could be a little off.)

My wife and I drove up from Georgia to see Eisley on Friday. We considered going to the Atlanta show, but we live an hour and a half outside the city, and on a Thursday night we wouldn’t have gotten back until too late to then have to work Friday morning. And I have family in Nashville and have been to at least a dozen shows at the Exit/In over the years. I have always thought it to be a nice venue with great sound. I have seen Sixpence None the Richer, Vigilantes of Love, and numerous others there. My opinion of the venue changed dramatically last night.

(On the drive up we listened to Poor Old Lu’s “Mindsize.” For those of you who don’t know Poor Old Lu was Aaron Sprinkle’s first band, and “Mindsize” was their album. That was 1993, but the album is still great, and Poor Old Lu is still my favorite band. Aaron Sprinkle’s newest band, Fair is opening for Eisley on the West Coast. Oh how I wish I lived on the West Coast!)

When I saw on the Exit/In’s website that the show time was 6:00 p.m. I immediately questioned it, NO show starts that early. My guess was that the doors would open at 6:00, the first band at 7:00 and then Eisley would be around 9:00. My sister and her friends were going as well, so I just had my sister call me when the first band starting. She called just after 7:00 and that is when my wife and I headed over.

We entered the club about 7:45 and an unknown band was playing on stage. I soon learned it was Simon Dawes. I thought they were terrible! They definitely had fans present, but my wife and I could barely stand them. I won’t elaborate any more at the risk of offending someone, I can see by comments on the board that other people liked them. The highlight of their set for me was a cover of “Burning Down the House.” We missed Brighten, who I would have liked to see, I think they would have been more my style.

At some point during the Simon Dawes set the lead singer said the club asked him if they would extend their set by 20 minutes. Seemed pretty strange to me, I just figured Eisley wasn’t ready.

During the set change the crowd erupted when Stacy’s Rhodes was placed on the stage; I don’t think I have ever heard so much applause for a musical instrument without someone playing it. Right before Eisley went on stage, the lights went out and loud music came on. I had never heard the song before, but it was upbeat, and apparently was being played to get Eisley pumped for the show. There was a random laptop on stage cycling through pictures and the only other thing I could see was some people dancing backstage through a small crack in the curtain. If none of this makes sense just think about what it is like at an NBA game when the starting line-ups are announced.

Eisley started with my favorite song of theirs, “Mister Pine.” If any old songs appear on their new album, I hope this is the only one. The guitar parts were different than the recorded version of the song, and from the previous two times I had heard the song live. Part of it may have been technical difficulties with Chauntelle’s guitar, but I thought it sounded great.

They next went into “Marvelous Things” which rocked much harder than I remember (a good thing!). During this song I took an amazing picture of Sherri, as you can see below. It looks like she is screaming at the top of her lungs; I benefited from a well-timed flash from someone standing right below her. I didn’t take many good pictures, it was too dark and I was standing too far away.

Later in the show Sherri accidentally introduced “Telescope Eyes” as a country-twanged song, thinking that was what they were about to play “Golly, Sandra.” Stacy pointed out that she read the set list wrong, which resulted in some friendly sibling banter.

The first new song of the night was one I had never even heard mentioned before, “I Could Be There For You.” It was AMAZING! I got video of the entire song, which I have been watching today. Sherri introduced it as being about Indiana Jones, but I haven’t yet grasped the connection. It is mid-tempoed Stacy song, and sounds more like a love song than any other song Eisley has ever written. Pretty short too, less than three minutes.

The next new song was the one I have been looking forward to the most, “Invasion.” Kim got me excited when she first mentioned it on the board, and the resulting comments gave the song even more hype. It doesn’t disappoint! It is a very fast Sherri song, highlighted by the chorus, a sustained high note of “You…….” They introduced the song as being about aliens, and during the bridge Stacy sings “Call me crazy, but they are after us, one by one, one by one…” I got about half of it on video as well. I just have an average digital still camera, and the video is definitely lesser quality than Boyd’s, but it is not bad.

“Invasion” was followed by “Sunfeet.” I have the live mp3 on my computer, but the song sounded nothing like I remember. It was great, and now I am much more excited about hearing the studio version. It is a longer and slower Eisley song. It was about this time that the girls first mentioned that they were going to have to end their set early because of the fire code. They were confused, I was confused, it made no sense. But Eisley was sounding so good I didn’t care and just enjoyed the moment.

Eisley finished with two more new songs, “Like the Actors” and “Many Funerals.” Both of these songs I already knew thanks to Boyd videos, but hearing them live was totally different. Sherri played acoustic guitar for “Like the Actors,” unlike the Australia videos. (Probably didn’t take the acoustic on that trip?) Before the song she said to Stacy, “Let’s do the new song you sing, rather than the new song I sing, because I am tired.” So apparently there was a different new song on the set list. “Many Funerals” was the perfect way to end the show; it is fast becoming one of my favorite Eisley songs. It is so intense! The song has already changed quite a bit since the videos Boyd gave us. Musically it is about the same, but lyrically it has changed and they sing in some new parts where before it was just instrumental.

All that said, Eisley’s performance was incredible. I thought they sounded much better than the first two times I have seen them. They played 14 songs, which is pretty impressive for a shortened show. And I always love hearing songs for the first time in concert. (I just noticed the original setlist is in another Nashville post.)

But I can’t write about last night without mentioning the problems with the venue. Like I mentioned, Stacy and Sherri both were told they had to end the set by 10 because of the fire code. This makes no sense, and I didn’t understand why until I read Boyd’s post about the show. Not only that, I overheard a conversation about how some people were being turned away at the door who had tickets. When the show ended, my wife and I were headed to the merch table, we probably would have purchased at least one, if not two t-shirts. But the Exit/In’s manager started yelling, “We are closed! Get out! We are closed! Get out!” And the employees started herding everyone out the door.

I had planned to talk to Boyd after the show, as well as get my copies of EP1 and EP2 autographed. Jonathan, Weston, and Stacy signed them last year; I was trying to get Sherri and Chauntelle’s signatures this time. I guess I could have hung around outside afterwards, but it was below freezing and there was basketball to be watched!

I still don’t understand the 115 people figure, every show I have ever attended at the Exit/In had more people than that. I am trying to figure out who to contact about the actions the manager took, maybe the police or the Better Business Bureau. In the mean time I have also emailed the management requesting a full refund. Anyway, it was an upsetting ending to what was otherwise a great night.

Last edited by drenchedecent on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

I was going to beg you to post the videos, but I guess I'd rather be surprised. Very Happy Thank you for writing such a detailed description.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

What a great post. Thank you!
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
captainparker
Sea Post King

nice pictures! i like the one of Sherri screaming
Joined: 16 Sep 2005 | Posts: 320 | Location: fayetteville, ga
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

captainparker wrote:

yeah, this might be my favorite picture i have ever taken. and i couldn't post the videos if i wanted to, they are 500 MB! i need to find a way to make them smaller.

gregorydymitrowicz
Vintage Newbie

drenchedecent wrote:
captainparker wrote:

yeah, this might be my favorite picture i have ever taken. and i couldn't post the videos if i wanted to, they are 500 MB! i need to find a way to make them smaller.

Holy Cow! That Picture ROCKS!
holland, 2005
Sea Post King

Since you were farther back (I was in the front row) could you hear the PA clearer? Even during Eisley the vocals we're a bit overpowered by the music, but that was probably because of my positioning. My videos clips for I Could Be There For You and Invasion are good clips, but the audio isn't great... yours could possibly be better?

Oh and they mentioned the shortened set before Sunfeet, because as soon as Sherri announced that they'd have to change up the songs from the set list (since I could see the list in front of me) I was screaming "SUNFEET!!!!" at the top of my lungs during every song break, because the set list went I Could Be There - Memories - Sunfeet- Invasion and they did it I Could - Memories- Invasion (skipping Sunfeet) so I really wanted to make sure it got played. And it did, obviously.

And you're right, for a "shortened" set, 14 songs is great.

--Luvbeat.

drenchedecent
Sea Post King

holland, 2005 wrote:
Since you were farther back (I was in the front row) could you hear the PA clearer? Even during Eisley the vocals we're a bit overpowered by the music, but that was probably because of my positioning. My videos clips for I Could Be There For You and Invasion are good clips, but the audio isn't great... yours could possibly be better?

I was standing directly in front of the sound guy, and I honestly thought the sound was great. But when you stand close, you definitely don't hear it as well. Essentially if you want to hear the concert at it's best, you need to stand farther back, but if you want to see the band clearer, you have to stand close and therefore you don't get good sound. Last time I saw Eisley I pretty much heard the entire show through Stacy's monitor, but my pictures were terrific.

And on my videos the sound is really good, but the video is poor.

golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

drenchedecent wrote:

This could be my favorite fan-taken picture, ever.

You are awesome.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
em-tucky
Sea Post King

I'm not trying to be an a-hole on the subject...but why are people trying to request their money back when the general consensus is that "for a shortened show, 14 songs is great"? You paid to see the bands on the bill, and you got to see both opening bands and a full (minus 4 songs) set from Eisley. Like it was mentioned in an earlier post from someone that was standing outside the venue when the fire marshalls were talking with the manager of the venue, he FOUGHT to keep the show going so Eisley could finish out their set. He pleaded with the authorities despite being threatened to be taken to jail and/or fined. Whether you liked the way they handled getting people out of the venue or not, you saw the show that you paid to see and you don't really have any grounds to get your money back because the fact that someone was mean to you doesn't require them to give you your money back. You're just making mountains out of mole holes at this point....
JDRagz
Sea Post King

Looks like you've given me a run for it drenchedecent.

*readies cell phone, camera, extra memory card and bribe money*

Linkage: blog|xanga|myspace|deviantart|YouTube

Joined: 10 Jun 2004 | Posts: 275 | Location: Indianapolis, IN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lizard Prince
Sea Post King

Here's some of my pics. I was kind of on the right so I got some pretty good pics of Sherri, but the pics of Stacy didn't turn out so well and I could only get one or two good shots of Chauntelle. Plus, I got a few pics of Simon Dawes, cuz I always think its sad how forum-folk overlook the openers in their show recaps. Simon Dawes seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em kinda deal, and I personally loved 'em, so here's a few pics of them. Sorry Brighten fans, they weren't my bag so I don't really have any shots of them. I have a bit of video too, including most of the new stuff they played (although Many Funerals got cut off at the end Sad ). I'll see if I can upload the videos somewhere and share if anyone's interested, meanwhile here's the pics.

Normally I don't post concert pics in forums, but I just love the Eisley forums, you all are the best. So, if anyone knows any good video hosting services I'll gladly share the footage, if you're interested. I discovered YouTube earlier today, although I have yet to try it out, so I'll probably check up on it. Meanwhile, death to Exit/In, long live Eisley, yadda yadda yadda, you all know the rest.
~Ty

drenchedecent
Sea Post King

em-tucky wrote:
I'm not trying to be an a-hole on the subject...but why are people trying to request their money back when the general consensus is that "for a shortened show, 14 songs is great"? You paid to see the bands on the bill, and you got to see both opening bands and a full (minus 4 songs) set from Eisley. Like it was mentioned in an earlier post from someone that was standing outside the venue when the fire marshalls were talking with the manager of the venue, he FOUGHT to keep the show going so Eisley could finish out their set. He pleaded with the authorities despite being threatened to be taken to jail and/or fined. Whether you liked the way they handled getting people out of the venue or not, you saw the show that you paid to see and you don't really have any grounds to get your money back because the fact that someone was mean to you doesn't require them to give you your money back. You're just making mountains out of mole holes at this point....

i have read all of the posts on the nashville show and all of the different viewpoints. i am grateful to know more about what happened, because i was initially very upset and very confused. now i am thankful that the manager was able to convince the authorities to allow the show to go on.

you are forgetting though, this whole situation was the exit/in's fault. they oversold the show, whether intentionally or unintentionally. if they had handled everything correctly to being with, the police would have never even come.

i requested my money back because i didn't get what i paid for. when i pay $30+ (for two tickets) and drive 3 and a half hours to see a concert, i want a complete experience. i first of all want the band to be able to finish their set and not be run off the stage. secondly, i want to be able to hang out in the club afterwards, talk to friends, talk to the band, and buy merch. and then i don't want to be yelled at and practically pushed out of the club by the employees.

yes, the exit/in did some nice things, but only after they had done a lot of wrong things. what they should have done is had the manager go up on stage and explain the situation. and now they should post a press release on their website letting us all know what happened. getting a refund is unrealistic, but an apology would be great.

holland, 2005
Sea Post King

Lizard Prince wrote:
Here's some of my pics. I was kind of on the right so I got some pretty good pics of Sherri, but the pics of Stacy didn't turn out so well and I could only get one or two good shots of Chauntelle. Plus, I got a few pics of Simon Dawes, cuz I always think its sad how forum-folk overlook the openers in their show recaps. Simon Dawes seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em kinda deal, and I personally loved 'em, so here's a few pics of them. Sorry Brighten fans, they weren't my bag so I don't really have any shots of them. I have a bit of video too, including most of the new stuff they played (although Many Funerals got cut off at the end Sad ). I'll see if I can upload the videos somewhere and share if anyone's interested, meanwhile here's the pics.

Normally I don't post concert pics in forums, but I just love the Eisley forums, you all are the best. So, if anyone knows any good video hosting services I'll gladly share the footage, if you're interested. I discovered YouTube earlier today, although I have yet to try it out, so I'll probably check up on it. Meanwhile, death to Exit/In, long live Eisley, yadda yadda yadda, you all know the rest.
~Ty

(I removed the picture tags to shorten the quote)

Hahaha, it's hilarious how another guy with a faux hawk and I are both in your pictures here. I was the one in front of Sherri, he was the one more towards Stacy. That's pretty funny.

--Luvbeat.

drenchedecent
Sea Post King

Another version of Sherri's "scream":