Laughing City
Andrew
Lost at Forum

lonelynation3 wrote:
isn't that like Plagiarism if you steal something or like copy without giving the person who originally did it, like credit for it. Question

Like I said above. Its infringement.

I dont know if The background is copyrighted. Probably not, and still its not an exact copy they changed the trademark E to an S. Stealing ideas although not against the law is sill stealing.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
norad
Vintage Newbie

Andrew wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:
isn't that like Plagiarism if you steal something or like copy without giving the person who originally did it, like credit for it. Question

I dont know if The background is copyrighted. Probably not, and still its not an exact copy they changed the trademark E to an S. Stealing ideas although not against the law is sill stealing.

oh, that "E" is more than likely copywritten.
it's used on CD covers and almost anything eisely puts out.
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

gosh.. well they look stupid more than anything, that they couldn't come up with their own artwork. im sure one of their fans will realize and laugh at it.
Andrew
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Andrew wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:

oh, that "E" is more than likely copywritten.
it's used on CD covers and almost anything eisely puts out.

I know it is.
And its not copywritten its trademarked. Copyright is for creative works. Trademark is for Brands and names.

I wasint saying the E wasint copyrighted I was saying the background wasint, but its all cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

LeslieAnnLevine wrote:
If it's not copy righted, then it's not illegal.

Well, intellectual properties (thats the right term I think) are copyrighted as soon as they are created. Its normally just a matter of proving when you made it, which is where the Library of Congress can come in.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
LeslieAnnLevine wrote:

Well, intellectual properties (thats the right term I think) are copyrighted as soon as they are created. Its normally just a matter of proving when you made it, which is where the Library of Congress can come in.

this is all soo confusing. i just think it's wrong

Andrew
Lost at Forum

lonelynation3 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
LeslieAnnLevine wrote:

Im going to school for this stuff. Have been for 2 years now and im just now getting a clear concept of Intellectual Property. Its very deep.

Registration is the only way to get true protection for your creative works. Directly copying is illegal but if you cant prove enough of it was actually copied you have no case. The E part of the background is the only thing changed and (this is a guess untill confirmed) thats the only thing actually registerd as a Mark. So although wrong Sugarcult is in blue.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

Andrew wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
LeslieAnnLevine wrote:

Im going to school for this stuff. Have been for 2 years now and im just now getting a clear concept of Intellectual Property. Its very deep.

Registration is the only way to get true protection for your creative works. Directly copying is illegal but if you cant prove enough of it was actually copied you have no case. The E part of the background is the only thing changed and (this is a guess untill confirmed) thats the only thing actually registerd as a Mark. So although wrong Sugarcult is in blue.

well, it makes them look like idiots, if that's any consolation...

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

LeslieAnnLevine wrote:
If it's not copy righted, then it's not illegal. It's just really unfortunate. Sherri needs to hurry up with her website and start selling her own stuff! She'll be filthy rich I tell you!

From copyright.gov...

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

And from what I understand, all government publications are in the public domain, so I shouldn't be in violation of copyright law for copying and pasting this Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

[quote="Andrew"]
lonelynation3 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
LeslieAnnLevine wrote:

i'm not good at thinking deep, it takes time for me to understand stuff like this

StarryxEyed
Sea Post King

Those buttons are cool...
I wonder how they made them.

Is it bad if you make them and use them, but don't sell them??
Because I've done that sort of thing before.
Joined: 26 Mar 2006 | Posts: 232 | Location: Chasing rainbows
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

no, that's not bad. Smile
I don't know if "technically" it's legal.
But, if I make my own CoCa Cola shirt, it would be hard for CoCa Cola to do anything about it. I know it would infringe on their rights, but would they do anything about it?
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think it's basically legal, until you decide to sell it. And if you make your own stuff, no one is going to prosecute you until you try to sell it, for sure.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

If this ebayer makes a few (small) dollars yet exposes more people to eisley is it worth it?

Hard question I think,I think personally I'd be pissed if somebody stole my work and sold it off for profit but at the same time I'd probably feel a little pleased that someone respected my work enough to do that.

Protocol Droid

homesick_alien wrote:
If this ebayer makes a few (small) dollars yet exposes more people to eisley is it worth it?

Hard question I think,I think personally I'd be pissed if somebody stole my work and sold it off for profit but at the same time I'd probably feel a little pleased that someone respected my work enough to do that.

Yeah, it's a mixed bag. I'm sure knowing the seller's intentions would help a lot.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address