Laughing City
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

patrock wrote:
invasion is inspired by a book too.

"Invasion" is inspired by a film

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is inspired by a book.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
boone
Vintage Newbie

golly andrew wrote:
patrock wrote:

They hadn't seen the film when they wrote the song.

norad
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
golly andrew wrote:
patrock wrote:

exactly.
in the live video of invasion on youtube sherri said she read the book, and then made stacy read it then they wrote the song.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

holland, 2005 wrote:
patrock wrote:
holland, 2005 wrote:
By the way, for future reference, long work titles (books, movies, newspapers, magazines) are underlined/italicized. Short work titles (songs, articles, short stories) use quotation marks.

ah.
makes sense.
but, im still going to do what i've been doing.
when i type a paper, it is correct though.

Oh, dang. It probably looked like I was trying to hate on patrock, but I wasn't. Actually, I didn't even notice the "Invasion" thing, I saw the person who put The Ice People in quotes. Pffft, sorry. Laughing

Oooh, so it's okay to hate on me though, I see how it is Razz Whatev....

But thanks for the author, I just wanted to make sure I was looking for the correct novel, if I go to look for it one day, which I very well might...
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

patrock wrote:
boone wrote:
golly andrew wrote:
patrock wrote:

exactly.
in the live video of invasion on youtube sherri said she read the book, and then made stacy read it then they wrote the song.

why I oughta...
*shakes fist*
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

golly andrew wrote:
patrock wrote:
boone wrote:
golly andrew wrote:
patrock wrote:

exactly.

why I oughta...
*shakes fist*

your all wrong, really, even eisley. while "book" could mean just about anything made out of paper bound together, it tends to imply a nonserialised work, or "monograph". "the body snatchers", however, is a serialised work, originally published in collier's magazine. not that it matters, really, which is sort of the point of me taking this nitpicking to an extreme. the song is a song, not a book, or magazine, or movie, and should stand on it's own, and does. the 1958 film adaptation is still the best telling of the story, though.

as for the "what is this song about" nonsense: who cares? whoever asked, i suppose, but they shouldn't. to me, art is magical, and magic doesn't, and shouldn't, make sense.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Last edited by do not be afraid. on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:

as for the "what does this song mean" nonsense: who cares? whoever asked, i suppose, but they shouldn't. to me, art is magical, and magic doesn't, and shouldn't, make sense.

Which reminds me of the early MTV hit Video Killed the Radio Star. Before music videos, the listener was left to their own interpretation of a song, but with a video the interpretation is presented in a video format. I kinda like the old days. Of course that is probably because I'm old.
Last edited by CUBSWINWORLDSERIES on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
boone
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
your all wrong, really, even eisley. while "book" could mean just about anything made out of paper bound together, it tends to imply a nonserialised work, or "monograph". "the body snatchers", however, is a serialized work, originally published in collier's magazine. not that it matters, really, which is sort of the point of me taking this nitpicking to an extreme. the song is a song, not a book, or magazine, or movie, and should stand on it's own, and does. the 1958 film adapatation is still the best telling of the story, though.

as for the "what is this song about" nonsense: who cares? whoever asked, i suppose, but they shouldn't. to me, art is magical, and magic doesn't, and shouldn't, make sense.

Plenty of books have been made of serialized stories. Most novels in the Victorian era were serialized initially. Kind of a pendantic argument, don't you think?

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

boone wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
your all wrong, really, even eisley. while "book" could mean just about anything made out of paper bound together, it tends to imply a nonserialised work, or "monograph". "the body snatchers", however, is a serialised work, originally published in collier's magazine. not that it matters, really, which is sort of the point of me taking this nitpicking to an extreme. the song is a song, not a book, or magazine, or movie, and should stand on it's own, and does. the 1958 film adaptation is still the best telling of the story, though.

Plenty of books have been made of serialized stories. Most novels in the Victorian era were serialized initially. Kind of a pendantic argument, don't you think?

that was the point, as i mentioned in my post, thus making your post completely redundant and useless, along with this one. really, in the end, all such arguments are "pedantic". as i said: who cares? nobody with any sense! i'm just bored, because i'm too lazy to do all the things i have to do, so i'm doing this. oh well.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
boone
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
boone wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:

that was the point, as i mentioned in my post, thus making your post completely redundant and useless, along with this one. really, in the end, all such arguments are "pedantic". as i said: who cares? nobody with any sense! i'm just bored, because i'm too lazy to do all the things i have to do, so i'm doing this. oh well.

None of my posts are useless.

norad
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
boone wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:

None of my posts are useless.

double ture.
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

McKenzies wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:
what? it's still pretty confusing to me, why would they write a song based on a book Question

Why not? What's wrong with that?

i'm not saying there is anything wrong with that...i just would have never guessed

le trou
Sea Post King

holland, 2005 wrote:
I just got The Ice People in the mail from Amazon.

It's by Magie Gee.

By the way, for future reference, long work titles (books, movies, newspapers, magazines) are underlined/italicized. Short work titles (songs, articles, short stories) use quotation marks.

There's two books called The Ice People, and I think the one the song is based off of is the one written by Rene Barjavel.

The lyrics fit the story:

"I felt the wind shifting back on us
Hold on we have to run"

-The two lovers ("Elea and Paikan, 'the ice people'" ) are running away because if they are captured they will lose each other

"But we can't escape there's no way
They'll call our names through the speakers"

-Their captor is calling their names through loud speakers making attempts to seize them

"When they find you, they'll retrieve you
Take you where sphered domes will freeze you"

-Like Paikan speaking to Elea (they are frozen in an egg-like stucture)

"These beautiful moments we shared together
All end now
They'll make me drink this potion; I'll sleep forever
Until I wake under the glacier ground "

-They surrender to their captor, Elea drinks the "universal serum", and she sleeps until she awakes 900,000 years later beneath the ice of what is now Antartica

But I've never read the book by Maggie Gee, so I could be wrong?

im the sea king
Golly, Poster

holland, 2005 wrote:

It's by Magie Gee.

thats the wrong one.
its by someone else...that one is a TOTALLY different story, but its still good.

the escaping song book is about how they dig up some big sphere in the antartic or somewhere cold, and they learn about this crazy civilization that used to be on the earth,and the story is a combo of the dude falling in love with the girl, and what happened on the last day of the civilization.

wait for it

DARY!
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

im the sea king wrote:
holland, 2005 wrote:

It's by Magie Gee.

thats the wrong one.
its by someone else...that one is a TOTALLY different story, but its still good.

the escaping song book is about how they dig up some big sphere in the antartic or somewhere cold, and they learn about this crazy civilization that used to be on the earth,and the story is a combo of the dude falling in love with the girl, and what happened on the last day of the civilization.

that sounds like a good book Very Happy

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>