Laughing City
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

I stumbled on a hardrock band called FlyLeaf and have been listening to their cd. I recently mentioned it to a coworker and she said she hears them all the time on the radio and loves their song "I'm so Sick". The song isn't bad but it's nothing spectacular either.

I'm trying to figure out why they get regular airplay and not Eisley. I think Marvelous Things or maybe Telescope Eyes is the Eisley analog to Flyleaf's tune yet never received regular airplay. Is the hardrock genre just that much more popular?

I gave up on radio years ago and think it's largely irrelevent now but I don't understand how some new songs play over and over on the radio while other equally good songs don't. It even goes beyond Eisley, what plays on the radio and what doesn't just seems totally arbitrary to me. Anyone have any clues?

amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

Records companies paying huge amounts of money to get certain songs played.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
LiKEMAGiCWHiTESKY
Sea Post King

I LOVE FLYLEAF! Yes, the hardrock genre is more popular. It's shallow, really. Kids aren't too open minded for the most part. But in any case, it has been agreed among some Eisley lovers I know that Eisley is much too groovy for radio. And think about it: we wouldn't have any emo kids left if eisley went mainstream-radio. They'd get...happy. Then I would have no one to laugh at. Psh, jk. But that's just me.

Pantheon4 wrote:
It may be that way in England, but in America being Christian is the coolest! It's even bigger than emo!

crypticomnius wrote:
it seems like the favorite for everyone is the bananananananas...(sigh)...i never know how many nana's to put after ba Sad ... Laughing
Joined: 19 Apr 2006 | Posts: 93 | Location: Tied to a laptop (darn pixies...)
bright young thing
Sea Post King

Well, I listen to Flyleaf, I have their cd, which is very good, btw.

Anyway, I do believe, as you stated that hard rock is a lot more intelligable and receives more airplay than, (I believe) than Eisley's genre of 'catchy' rock/pop. Maybe others do not 'get it', they do not grasp the concept of Eisley's state of music. And with music today, to me personally, it's all about being seen, as well as being scene. -If it's not horribly obscene and loud/thrashing, banging heads kind of noise, than it's not gonna be heard.
I too questioned why I haven't heard Telescope Eyes receiving any airplay, but then again I really don't listen to the radio.

listen to flyleafs, "So I thought"

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Because Eisley doesn't fit into the boxes created to ensure profit for corporate radio, sadly.

And Telescope Eyes didn't get airplay (at least via Clear Channel) I think basically because it doesn't have enough distortion on the guitars. As silly as that sounds ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gregorydymitrowicz
Vintage Newbie

Side note: Both bands are from Texas and are really nice in person. Wink
norad
Vintage Newbie

the singer of flyleaf sounds like a lesser version of avril lavigne.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

some record companies pay lots.

sometimes a radio dj or show gets behind a song, and it suddenly become huge as a result.

Was there not a similar discussion elsewhere on this board today? there's a huge underground scene that isn't getting airplay.

I just... don't understand it. I think a song that sounds catchy, short will generally be popular. Anything that doesn't fit that won't get airplay.

So... i dunno...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

I like Flyleaf, but I like Eisley more Smile

Didn't the old Telescope Eyes have more distortion in the guitars and then someone changed it to make it more "radio friendly"? But now the radio stations are saying it doesn't have enough distortion? Stupid.

amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

honestly, i think Eisley's lack of airplay has nothing to do with their sound - people will buy into anything that's catchy. (and we all know that Eisley can create catchy songs)
what i think is the problem (if there is one) is that their label is unsure of how to market them, or perhaps that radio stations are unsure of how to play them. are they indie? are they mainstream? are they both?
i mean, for as much commercial success as a band like Death Cab For Cutie has had, i've NEVER heard them played on my local pop radio station.
i don't think it has anything to do with their sound.

that's kind of a disorganized ramble, but i hope it made some sense.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

money
duh
mykatjim
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
And Telescope Eyes didn't get airplay (at least via Clear Channel) I think basically because it doesn't have enough distortion on the guitars. As silly as that sounds ...

untrue. eisley was played here in dallas on the edge which is a clear channel station. they were in the studio one morning too. that's actually how i heard eisley the first time.
Joined: 08 Nov 2003 | Posts: 201 | Location: arlington, texas
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

mykatjim wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

untrue. eisley was played here in dallas on the edge which is a clear channel station. they were in the studio one morning too. that's actually how i heard eisley the first time.

I should have specified, I meant the Room Noises version. I know a previous version received extensive airplay in the Dallas area. And The Edge gets a little more freedom than your average Clear Channel station.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bluesteel7512
Sea Post King

I hardly ever listen to the radio but I did hear this song and was wondering who they were. They are pretty good but I still don't understand why Eisley doesn't get radio time.
boone
Vintage Newbie

amidthestars wrote:
honestly, i think Eisley's lack of airplay has nothing to do with their sound - people will buy into anything that's catchy. (and we all know that Eisley can create catchy songs)
what i think is the problem (if there is one) is that their label is unsure of how to market them, or perhaps that radio stations are unsure of how to play them. are they indie? are they mainstream? are they both?
i mean, for as much commercial success as a band like Death Cab For Cutie has had, i've NEVER heard them played on my local pop radio station.
i don't think it has anything to do with their sound.

that's kind of a disorganized ramble, but i hope it made some sense.

Agreed. Eisley could be a pretty big VH1 draw at least if the label knew how to present them.

goto page
 | next >>