Laughing City
bluedragon21120
Sea Post King

Hey, I'm studying Film and Moving Images at College and I've decided to make a music Vid for Golly Sandra in my spare time over the summer. If anyone has ideas that they feel could go with the song please feel free to post them

Thats really it for now, I just wanted to let people know so they can look out for it if they're intrested.
Last year I made a video for the Raconteurs song Store Bought Bones that some of you may know (it's not really similar musicly).

Its a good idea of what i can do at least, the Eisley video won't be as fast but you get what i mean by showing it.

My Previous Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5gDt5R7oM

thanks and I hope some of you look out for it when it's done, maybe even a band member or two...
Joined: 27 Jul 2006 | Posts: 14 | Location: Peterborough UK
Last edited by bluedragon21120 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
dD_Daz
Sea Post King

Can't wait to see it.. and as for ideas, I'm afraid I'm lacking in that department but I'm sure you'll come up with something good.

I last saw Eisley: The Fly, London, UK
Joined: 17 May 2006 | Posts: 88 | Location: Bourne, Lincolnshire, UK
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

I was just thinking someone needed to make a video for Golly Sandra since it's one of my favorite songs.

Well, when I hear it, the steel guitar reminds me of Hawaiian music... so maybe something with the beach? Of course there'd have to be a bridge and maybe 2 people to play the parent and the daughter. I think Stacy said it was about a father and a daughter, but I think a mother would work too. Can't wait to see what you come up with Smile

oliez
Vintage Newbie

treetops12 wrote:

reminds me of Hawaiian music..

I can see that, but I think quite the opposite. I think country. The first time I heard it I almost hated it because of it's country overtones, but after listening to it so many times it has become one of if not my favorite song off room noises.

Hm...this should be a challenge to make a video for. I think wooded areas with a creek and the band (which I guess wouldn't work for this video) playing in a opening in the woods with people just sitting around them listening and going about the business (fishing, eating, enjoying the freedom and no stress vibe of the song). Very Silver Dollar City. (Silver Dollar City is an Ozark mountian theme park in Branson, MO.) I'm sure none of this helps, but that's what I see. Trees. Streams. Bridges over the Stream (come on it's in the song), and sun. It's a good feel song make people feel good after watching it.
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
treetops12 wrote:

I can see that, but I think quite the opposite. I think country. The first time I heard it I almost hated it because of it's country overtones, but after listening to it so many times it has become one of if not my favorite song off room noises.

Hm...this should be a challenge to make a video for. I think wooded areas with a creek and the band (which I guess wouldn't work for this video) playing in a opening in the woods. Very Silver Dollar City. (Silver Dollar City is an Ozark mountian theme park in Branson, MO.)

Yeah same here! At first I thought it sounded like country music so I always skipped that track, but then I forced myself to listen to it and I love it.

And I also would like to see an Eisley video shot in the forest! Since a lot of their songs have forests in them. It just seems so Eisley. Too bad Marvelous Things wasn't shot in a forest. Lady of the Wood, They All Surrounded Me, Brightly Wound, Trolley Wood... all these would work with a forest atmosphere. As for Golly Sandra, I can see a bridge across a creek Smile

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I think it should be more abstract. Videos that just follow the words are lame.
Lost at Forum

treetops12 wrote:
oliez wrote:
treetops12 wrote:

Yeah same here! At first I thought it sounded like country music so I always skipped that track, but then I forced myself to listen to it and I love it.

goodness! you didn't like or listen a song because of an instrument they used? that's awfully closed minded, i think. i really love the steel guitar on that song, personally.

i'm almost certain that it was supposed to be a country song, though, not a hawaiian song, but it really isn't either, just sort of an eisley song i guess, like all eisley songs, or something.

i'm rambling. i'll stop.

i guess my point is that making a hawaiian style video wouldn't fit with eisley's intention for the song. unless i'm wrong about that, of course, and i could be. i usually am.

i'm rambling, again. i'll stop. or try.

bluedragon21120, i looked at your raconteur video thing, and, sorry, but i didn't like it. i'm not a fan of the raconteurs though, so that might be why.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
bluedragon21120
Sea Post King

man you guys are on fire tonight, thanks for the input

I havn't read the bands comments on the song so I don't know its true meaning, but on hearing it I thought it was just about to girls who'd grown up together and then grown appart.

I'm not rich so a Tropical look of any kind is off the ards, but yes, I'm thinking wooded. I have got a very special bridge in mind, it's close to my girlfriend's house and she can play drums and bass so I should be able to get her to star as 'Sandra'.

I'm blabbing a bit so I'll let you get back to disscussing your thoughts on the song. I'm a little supprised there was this much intrest even thou its only 5 posts.

And to 'do not be afrade', I'm glad you said what you thought of my last video. it's very far from what i wnat to do next. Thats why I chosse Eisley because it will turn out so different. Also thanks for not just saying it was crap but being polite. Smile

Keep the ideas coming if you have them, I can't promise I can do it all, but I'm going to keep it with the lyrics, not narative more abstract. Those of you who like abstract should see my last video.
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
oliez wrote:
treetops12 wrote:

goodness! you didn't like or listen a song because of an instrument they used? that's awfully closed minded, i think. i really love the steel guitar on that song, personally.

i'm almost certain that it was supposed to be a country song, though, not a hawaiian song, but it really isn't either, just sort of an eisley song i guess, like all eisley songs, or something.

i'm rambling. i'll stop.

i guess my point is that making a hawaiian style video wouldn't fit with eisley's intention for the song. unless i'm wrong about that, of course, and i could be. i usually am.

i'm rambling, again. i'll stop. or try.

bluedragon21120, i looked at your raconteur video thing, and, sorry, but i didn't like it. i'm not a fan of the raconteurs though, so that might be why.

If you aren't a country music fan, it can turn you off. And it did for us AT FIRST, but now we love it... steel guitar and all. I don't think we're closed minded about music, it's just a genre preference thing. And Eisley said that they didn't intend for it to sound country, it just turned out that way.

And I didn't recommend a whole Hawaiian themed video, just maybe some waves crashing at the beginning and the end.

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

treetops12 wrote:
If you aren't a country music fan, it can turn you off. And it did for us AT FIRST, but now we love it... steel guitar and all. I don't think we're closed minded about music, it's just a genre preference thing. And Eisley said that they didn't intend for it to sound country, it just turned out that way.

And I didn't recommend a whole Hawaiian themed video, just maybe some waves crashing at the beginning and the end.

i didn't mean for anything i said to be taken the way you seemed to have taken it, and am sorry if i offended you, or anything.

i understood that you love the song, but that doesn't change the fact that you initially disliked the song because it used a steel guitar, and that's silly, and would be silly whether or not you're a "country music fan"!

of course, i think labels like "country music" and "country music fan" are silly too, so...

and i didn't think that you recommended a whole hawaiian themed video, just that hawaiian, tropical, beachy, or whatever, elements might not fit the song. that's all.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Melissasingstheblues
Sea Post King

I liked your video. I like the eating the cd part, it was def interesting.
crpchristian
Sea Post King

Think of an idea that connects with the song and keep it a focused idea.

Plan ahead, sketch out, story board...

ReEvaluate as you work

Stay away from gimmicky camera/editing tricks...unless they're super cool and have a reason to be in the video Wink

alastica
Sea Post King

I could definitely see some random girl walking around wearing a shirt that says "Sandra" and then she does lots of crazy stuff and after everything she does, somebody will go "golly!"

Laughing Rolling Eyes
Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
Silver Dollar City.

Please don't ever say those three words again. Wink

I can't wait to see what you come up with for this video. Couldn't have picked a better song!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluedragon21120
Sea Post King

thanks again for more input, and the fueled debate over the steal guitar.

Melissasingstheblues, glad you liked the vid, I'm the one eattying the CD

crpchristian, thanks for the tips but as you can see I've done this sort of thing before. I don;t know what you would call gimmiky, but I would refer to 'Varite' as a gimmick thats hateable.

I've used Blue screening or CEO as I think its acctual called, i maybe wrong. I think its much more than a gimmick because it's used in nearly all movies, even 'Garden State' used it.

alastica, we're on the same page.

goto page
 | next >>