Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

lets talk numbers
how has room noises sold?
how much in rolaties do they get from one cd sold?
do they get more or less for the vinyl?

there needs to be an eisley room noises cassette tape.

i think thats all i got

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

R.N. has sold 70,000+.
The same number of units that R.E.M.'s first project sold, and the same amount that U2's first project sold.
(not bad Eisley for no radio play, or big push from the label) Smile

As for what they band makes off of each unit sold? -0-
They did not recoup on the first album.
They do get royalties for each time the record is played publicly.
radio, mtv, etc. (and is reported to A.S.C.A.P.)

I think everyone can put two and two together on that math. Confused
Hopefully, they will start getting paychecks on the new album. (fingers crossed)

yeah...unless you are one of the pop up music acts, it's grunge work for many years...just hoping that someday you can pay your own bills with your career. Confused
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

well the only friends i know that have heard of eisley are people i've told about them.
i plan to buy the next album on iTunes.

Never2FarNow
Sea Post King

interesting... I would have expected rooms noises to have sold much more... I was thinking more in the 200,000 range. Samsonite, I was way off. But 70,000 is still great, and I'm sure number 2 will sell much more.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:

As for what they band makes off of each unit sold? -0-
They did not recoup on the first album.
They do get royalties for each time the record is played publicly.
radio, mtv, etc. (and is reported to A.S.C.A.P.)

i just have a clarifing question.

do you mean that the contract with warner states that you get no royalties off of rn?
or are you saying the contract does have a determined amount (lets say 5% of sales) but that money went back to the wb for monies borrowed to you guys to record said album?

i would assume the latter since you said recoup. and as far as i know, that is the normal practice of the music industry.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
do you mean that the contract with warner states that you get no royalties off of rn?
or are you saying the contract does have a determined amount (lets say 5% of sales) but that money went back to the wb for monies borrowed to you guys to record said album?

i would assume the latter since you said recoup. and as far as i know, that is the normal practice of the music industry.

That's my guess as well. I can't imagine any record company making a contract that says in no uncertain terms that a band will not make royalties off a certain album.

From what I've pieced together, a lot of money went into the various producers Warner hired to work on Room Noises (Boyd has expressed frustration about this in the past). With 70,000 copies sold, and maximum royalties at almost certainly less than a dollar per copy, there's probably still a pretty big deficit before Room Noises can be recouped, and of course that will roll over to be paid by the second album.

I will never understand how a label can justify forcing the artist to pay these outrageous sums when there is no effort being made by the label to push the album. In the weeks leading up to Room Noises' release, I only heard about one TV commercial with clips from the "Telescope Eyes" video to promote them, plus that lame three-minute spot on some MTV show where they made fun of photos of the band. No in-store promos, no Internet ads (besides the ones Boyd made himself and distributed through the forum and Myspace), no displays in major retailers, no radio single, and no video on a major station. Yet Eisley still owe thousands of dollars to WB. Warner Brothers may be one of the best labels out there, but in an industry that's pure evil that ain't much.

Meanwhile, thanks for asking those questions! I was wondering myself. It's an auspicious start for Eisley to be ranked with the debuts of U2 and R.E.M.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
boone
Vintage Newbie

Of course, if that's the case, a successful second and third album will result in more sales of a debut album, resulting in money finally being received from it.

Finding older, harder-to-find albums from popular bands is kind of fun.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
...and no video on a major station...

I saw 2 or 3 of their videos on Yahoo Music when they were pushing out the album, including the Who's Next promotion they won. That is where I first saw or heard of them. I consider Yahoo Music a major internet "station."
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
Of course, if that's the case, a successful second and third album will result in more sales of a debut album, resulting in money finally being received from it.

Quite true.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Saellys wrote:
...and no video on a major station...

I saw 2 or 3 of their videos on Yahoo Music when they were pushing out the album, including the Who's Next promotion they won. That is where I first saw or heard of them. I consider Yahoo Music a major internet "station."

Good point--I forgot about Yahoo! Music. I meant television stations rather than Internet-based video broadcasters, but I didn't clarify that.

I wonder how Launch and Yahoo! Music work with labels, if at all... Obviously Yahoo! was a major help to Eisley with that free tour last year and everything else they've done for the band.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Does Eisley gain or lose money by touring? I couldn't imagine ticket sales make up for the travel and manpower cost (depending how much the venue pays vs. percentage of ticket sales or whatever). T-shirts are where it's at.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Does Eisley gain or lose money by touring? I couldn't imagine ticket sales make up for the travel and manpower cost (depending how much the venue pays vs. percentage of ticket sales or whatever). T-shirts are where it's at.

don't quote me on this. but i think i heard boyd say that touring is where it's at. i also think he said that merch sales mostly go to equipment like new strings and what not.

alls i know is that i saw on the simon dawes web page a while back that they were hoping they sold enough merchandise so they could sleep in a hotel that night.

for some reason that made me very sad.

wilsmith wrote:

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i also wanted to add that i would tend to agree with you that they wouldnt make much money touring.
take this for example.

i saw them at teh double door when lovedrug and pilotdrift opened for them.
so right there we have 3 bands to pay.

the tickets were 10 bucks a pop.
boyd said it sold out at 250 people.
so thats 2500 dollars in ticket sales.
now that has to cover the price of all three bands that the venue paid to get them there. and for the venue to make a little cash. plus roadies and all that.

doesnt leave much else after that.
but again. lets say eisley got paid 1000 bucks for that show (this is just a guess) they do 5 shows a week thats 5000 bucks. remember at that time they were touring like mad.
so who knows maybe it does pay off

wilsmith wrote:

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
i also wanted to add that i would tend to agree with you that they wouldnt make much money touring.
take this for example.

i saw them at teh double door when lovedrug and pilotdrift opened for them.
so right there we have 3 bands to pay.

the tickets were 10 bucks a pop.
boyd said it sold out at 250 people.
so thats 2500 dollars in ticket sales.
now that has to cover the price of all three bands that the venue paid to get them there. and for the venue to make a little cash. plus roadies and all that.

doesnt leave much else after that.
but again. lets say eisley got paid 1000 bucks for that show (this is just a guess) they do 5 shows a week thats 5000 bucks. remember at that time they were touring like mad.
so who knows maybe it does pay off

There was a good thread on this a few months ago, the eisley pins thread. If anyone would know, Kim would and she commented about how little is made on the gate and how most bands hope to make some money on merch sales. Except when the venue takes too big a cut of the merch sales, too.
http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=22591&start=0
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
plus that lame three-minute spot on some MTV show where they made fun of photos of the band.

When was this on tv?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
plus that lame three-minute spot on some MTV show where they made fun of photos of the band.

When was this on tv?

I think it was the "Advance Warning" thing just before Room Noises came out. The file's not up on OGG anymore; I need to fix that.

Smokemonster