19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

First of all, I understand that it's important to protect the enviroment.
It's absolutely necessary, and something we all ought to be concientious of. But... and I'm asking you to keep an open mind here.. is it right to do it under the banner of something that remains unproven?
Global Warming still remains a theory, and it disgusts me that concerts are being held to "raise money to fight global warming." The Earth does go through warming and cooling cycles (I'm sure you've all heard of the Ice Age, and come on, it wasn't caused by us not driving cars around enough), and some prominent, good scientists are being absolutely trashed when they try to remind everyone that global warming is STILL a theory. Some of the "facts/ research" in And Inconvienient Truth were falsified, and the fact remains that Al Gore is a hypocrite, seeing as his own home(s) use more than the average amount of energy. It's not as if I don't care about the Earth, so please don't attack me on those grounds, but I just would like to let everyone know this even as committees are being formed and money raised to fight.. what?
P.S. I'm not roundly denying global warming; it is possible. We just shouldn't believe in it dogmatically and become zealots of the unproven cause.
thebrightestfirefly
Lost at Forum

although a few scientists still say that global warming isnt real, more and more scientists are starting to say it is.

but its not so serious that the effects are irreversable or anything. we just need to start becoming more concious about what were doing to the environment.

i drive a hybrid and recycle and whatnot, theres alot you can do to help the environment.

bands like the ditty bops are doing alot to help the environment, including having done a cross country tour completey on bike.
they also have a ton of stuff on their website like petitions and ideas to help the environment

http://thedittybops.com/news.htm

a-1wave
Golly, Poster

I took your question to mean, "Do I believe in Global Warming as it's presented by the media and environmentalists?" My answer is no.

However, I do believe the Earth is experiencing a natural warm period that will end on it's own before any irreversible effects take place. I think it's very pretentious for humans to believe themselves so significant that they could destroy the planet so easily.

With that said, I do believe in conservation and in caring for the Earth. It is part of our God-given duty as stewards of this planet.

Last edited by a-1wave on Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I don't think we can really do anything to FIGHT global warming personally. But, I do think we could do a lot more to conserve the earth's natural resources.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

While what we do the world isn't helping the environment, I don't think it's causing global warming.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

vintage_snowflake wrote:
P.S. I'm not roundly denying global warming; it is possible. We just shouldn't believe in it dogmatically and become zealots of the unproven cause.

yea. like Iraq...

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:
vintage_snowflake wrote:

yea. like Iraq...
Yes, that whole sentiment is actually applicable to quite a lot, including God.
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

We had a debate in my energy and the environment class today (arch major) on sustainable design vs aesthetic design. it was so one sided on the side of sustainability it was pathetic.

obv. i was on the winning side.

for people that can afford paying for a sustainable design now it's such a logical step. it's more $ upfront, but eventually things like solar panels can pay themselves off over time. even if we're not causing global warming, why not make a good investment?
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

The real question is do humans have any significant impact on global temperature variables, be they warming or (as was the popular theory a few decades ago) cooling? Yes, I have a high efficiency furnace and high efficiency windows in my house because they pay for themselves over time. I think anyone who buys otherwise is very shortsighted on their pocket book. And of couse my decisions in that regard also lead to less natural gas being burned in the winter and less electricity in the summer, so all the better for those who are concerned about these things.
telemakas
Sea Post King

I'm thrilled about global warming. I live 600 mile from the coast and hope that the new coast line will be just a couple a hundred miles from here. i dont eat seafood unless its fresh and we dont get much of that here. We could get so much more if the coast were that much closer.

Seriously, I really hope this global warming thing works out and is the whole load of crap al freakin gore and others are politicizing .
Joined: 05 Jul 2006 | Posts: 208 | Location: San Angelo, TX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

it's likely that low E windows and the like will become cheaper in years to come as with all new technology. sooner or later all new houses (many commercial buildings already are) will be built using green design and we'll be talking about how that's not even enough Laughing
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170&q=global+w arming+swindle

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Even if Global Warming is a big ruse to get people to recycle their milk bottles, it will be nice to buy sustainable and energy efficient resources for cheap in a few years.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

And Liberals are pinned as the crazy Conspiracy Theorists. Rolling Eyes Wink
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
And Liberals are pinned as the crazy Conspiracy Theorists. Rolling Eyes Wink

CTRL + F

"sarcasm detector"

NOT FOUND

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY

goto page
 | next >>