Laughing City
pzy
Wookie Luke

http://idolator.com/tunes/they-get-letters/music-writer-to-record-labe l-would-you-like-me-to-listen-to-this-disc-before-i-review-it-276441.p hp

Kind of funny... I've never had problems with WB watermarked discs, they don't have any protection besides the actual tracks being watermarked, unless they changed that recently.

Nice to know that review copies are around... I guess? Very Happy

oliez
Vintage Newbie

that cracks me up.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

My watermarked "Room Noises" disc worked in everything I played it on. I could probably get it right now and try it on other things. I'll take their copy. Laughing

Oh, how I miss some perks of being the press.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
princessx
Sea Post King

i was totes going to post this today but then i was like "should i? idk"

that is a moral grey area i do not wish to tread.

pzy
Wookie Luke

princessx wrote:

How so?

princessx
Sea Post King

pzykotic wrote:
princessx wrote:

How so?

i feel like i shouldnt post anything "negative" about eisley on their official message board idk idk

pzy
Wookie Luke

Eh it's not negative... just some guy complaining at the record label about their draconian and useless content protection.

But I think he might be in the minority... like I said, unless they changed something recently, I've never had an issue with their watermarks.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

How depressing. I just hope Combinations doesn't get stuck with the ridiculous DRM crap that Kasabian's CD had on it; I won't be buying it if it does. An unlistenable promo CD isn't the best sign. Rolling Eyes

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Like Luke said, he hasn't heard anything new about their watermarking. That CD looks identical to my RN watermarked disc, so I doubt it's any different. And the last album had no trouble with that mess.

Anyone who'd pin this watermarking on the band does so in error. Entirely the label's doing, and a pretty standard practice from what I gather.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Anyone who'd pin this watermarking on the band does so in error. Entirely the label's doing, and a pretty standard practice from what I gather.

Wait... did anyone in this thread say otherwise?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
leighish
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

no but if you read the comments on the external page, it is kind of implied.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Those comments made me mad. Those people obviously know nothing about Eisley, and that's their loss, but they shouldn't state things as if they were fact.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

leighish wrote:
Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Hmm. The comments on Idolator are pretty unflattering to the band, but it doesn't look like anyone seriously thinks Eisley asked the label to do this for them. And the comments on the original post Idolator linked to were far more neutral and entirely anti-label.

I dunno. Anyone with half a brain knows that an artist on a major label has no control over the P&D of their album. They'd also know that that artist gets about twenty-five cents out of every $20 their album makes for the label, so it's better to support them on tour by buying tickets and merch than by throwing money at a corporation for a broken product.

Smokemonster
madcat2089
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
leighish wrote:
Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Hmm. The comments on Idolator are pretty unflattering to the band, but it doesn't look like anyone seriously thinks Eisley asked the label to do this for them. And the comments on the original post Idolator linked to were far more neutral and entirely anti-label.

I dunno. Anyone with half a brain knows that an artist on a major label has no control over the P&D of their album. They'd also know that that artist gets about twenty-five cents out of every $20 their album makes for the label, so it's better to support them on tour by buying tickets and merch than by throwing money at a corporation for a broken product.

I agree that the best way to support them is by tours and merch, but nothing would keep me from buying an album by one of my favorite bands. I didn't really buy the albums I have to support bands, but for my own "joy."
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

Isn't a 'watermark' on a CD just a recognizable and registered audio blip? So, that if you share it, it can be traced back to you? How can this affect the play-ability?
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA