Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

My Blackened Crown wrote:
If You're Wondering The beginning sounds like a lullaby combined with a baby's music box. It does sound like a lullaby. Its got this real brightness to it. It also sounds like a good song to kill yourself by. 8/10

That's such a horrible thing to say it's laughable. You, if you have not yet, should seek some type of help. You don't seem very stable.
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

yeah, Im aware of that. A bunch of my friends said I should go see a therapist.
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Friends are there for a reason.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

My opinion as someone who doesn't actually know you at all: I agree with them. I think everyone has a mild fascination with death whether they admit it or not, but seeing it in everything (particularly songs as jubilant as Eisley's) just doesn't seem healthy.

But that having been said, I really like seeing the way people respond to your interpretations of those songs. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SugarCone
Sea Post King

I must say this cd grew on me enormously. I loved Room Noises for the ethereal beauty of it all...the unicorn barbie rock...but Brightly Wound loses its fragile magic once you listen to it too often. Combinations is a stronger album altogether, with songs that I feel will stand up under repeated listenings better than most of the pieces on Room Noises.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

My new favorite band, Eisley has a new album called Combinations. Great stuff. I found the band when they were featured on Myspace on the front page,and I just clicked it. After hearing the first song (they have the whole CD to listen to on their myspace) I was hooked. Its three chicks, their brother, and a cousin. Its a mixture of pop, folk, indie (I still don't know what it means, but I think I've heard Weezer called it..whatever), country, and a hint of subtle sadness to it.

For me, its a very very depressing album (I also think this with their first album, room noises) underneath the poppy harmonies and songs about love, I sense an underlying sadness and despair, love, regret, and beauty I've never noticed with any other band)

The first track off of it is called Many Funerals. This was the song that got me hooked to the band. Its kinda slow to start, and its about death, death of family, and trying to live and love the best you can before death. It has a very romantic feel to it.

The more I listen to it, the more I feel like dying. The lyric "How could you have left us here? " is very sad and they repeat the words, "breakdown, goodbye" a lot near the end and I get the feeling of death, and the decay of a corpse. song rating: 10/10.

Track 2 Invasion. Its a but more upbeat song, but still, Iget a negative vibe from it. Its based on the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But what I see the lyrics are about death slowly, creeping into your soul and slowly dying.

I certainly get the feel of death in the song. Great harmonies and lyrics. Another 10/10

Taking Control More upbeat than Invasion. Its about people taking control of their lives, and how they won't take it. I get a bit of positiveness in here, but its still its a kinda gloomy song (at least to me) 8/10

Go Away Its about love and then losing that love. Asking the other person to leave them be. Its got a nice piano roll in it which matches with the song. 8/10

I Could Be There For You Another song (I believe) about love. To me, its another song that makes me sad. It gets a bit harder as it goes on. and its based on a march-like drum beat. 10/10

Come Clean Its got a lil reggae thing going on. Ireally don't know what its about, but the lyrics "come clean all around me" kinda make me snicker. Laughing (yeah, Im kinda perverted, I know) Its a really soothing song. Makes me want to fall asleep. 8/10

Ten Cent Blues Its a country/blues song. I think Its about a woman who is fighting against the world (yeah, chick rock, girl power-rofl, all that jazz) Going against ridicule and her own shortcoming. I never really liked country, but its a good song.7/10

A Sight to Behold This song kicks ass. Its about two people who have failed at love, but they connect with each other and start a relationship for forever. Its just a $#@! awesome song. Could also make a good metal song if done properly. The harmonizing vocal solo near the end is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. 10/10.

Combinations The title track of the album. A slow, depressing song, Very 'goth' feel to it in the beginning. Another song about romance. How the person has found love, and then met the right person and wants to stay with them forever. Its mainly about marriage, as the lyricist had just gotten married before the album. Its a really beautiful song. Another "cryer". Great marriage song 9/10

If You're Wondering The beginning sounds like a lullaby combined with a baby's music box. It does sound like a lullaby. Its got this real brightness to it. It also sounds like a good song to kill yourself by. 8/10

In Conclusion, this is a beautiful album. It has a range of emotions in it, from harder songs to ballads. When I first heard it, It was very close brought me to tears. No other cd I have has made me felt that way. Everything is perfect. The harmonies, the rockage, every emotion known to man is in this album.If you like rock-hell, if you like music you owe it to yourself to buy this album. I've kinda been pressuring tony to get it (haha Laughing ) but seriously, go and get it. Its a good album if your feeling down, feeling love, feeling grief. Your insignificant, hollow existence will either be more hallow or you will be overjoyed with happiness. Im happy, becuase I found an album depressing enough to love.

In conclusion, the album, to me gets a perfect 10/10. I believe I have found one of the most pristine, awesome, emotional album that can suit me for everything I feel. Sure, my depression gets worse when I listen to it, but I now, in my life I thrive on sadness and the loosing of love. (even though I really don't believe in love as a concept) It really makes me kinda want to experience love, but I really don't think I can.
Is this a joke? Srsly?
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

I haven't been on in ages -- partly due to my trip to Japan/China for a month and a half.. and internet that is not functioning right on my desktop... but anyway...

I think the album is pretty good. It's short.. but it sounds good. I'm still in the process of listening to all the songs thoroughly.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

My opinion as someone who doesn't actually know you at all: I agree with them. I think everyone has a mild fascination with death whether they admit it or not, but seeing it in everything (particularly songs as jubilant as Eisley's) just doesn't seem healthy.

But that having been said, I really like seeing the way people respond to your interpretations of those songs. Wink

I don't think any of the DuPrees are depressed but they are openly fans of Tim Burton (myself included) who deals with gothic themes and death a lot, so it's not that surprising that likewise themes could emerge in their writing. On the other hand, I do not feel it is the prevelant message in their music. Just watch any of their youtube videos and you can see they are a very loving family and quite happy.

As a writer/artist of any sort you reflect on all aspects of life, and a part of life is death. But if you're constantly thinking of or fearing death I do not think that is healthy. Why not listen to Combinations again and focus on the positive aspects?

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I just listened to the album with a good pair of headphones. All I can say is WOW. For an album I already listened to probably 10 times, this was amazing. If you haven't put the good headphones to this one yet, go do it --- NOW! Cool
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The bass is just awesome all around.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
The bass is just awesome all around.

They put Ace of Base to shame. Laughing I know, dating myself again.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

I really really love come clean followed by ten cent blues. I think that was a great sidebyside. Kinda like World At Large and Float On on Good News For People Who Love Bad News.

Very Happy

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

I adore it.
The end.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.