Laughing City
Jessica
Sea Post King

elfnogg wrote:
Marsh King's Daughter: Well I can see why this never made it on to the album. It doesn't really seem to fit. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a really great song. It just makes me feel good.

Yeah, it doesn't really fit in with the mood or feel of the album, but it's a keeper.

Btw, you have the scariest, scariest avatar I have ever seen. *shudders*
Joined: 23 Jun 2007 | Posts: 185 | Location: Los Angeles, California
negatiivethree
Golly, Poster

I'm not too into the heavier first half of the album. I was really looking forward to Sunfeet or They All Surrounded Us or anything like that showing up on the next album. It was produced very well, it almost doesn't feel natural. I was hoping, by the way Boyd was speaking of the album, that it'd take us back in time a little. Before Eisley's time.

And the songs are way too short for my liking, even if they're no longer than any on their last album. Music should be given time to play with emotion, reach out to people and pull them in. And I have to disagree with Nora on the last track. I was glad they didn't just drop everything before you had time to think about what was going on. Think Takk. My favorite album ever(i didn't say the best, just my favorite) and the songs are all somewhere from five to twelve minutes long. After hundreds of plays that album never dropped from the top of my list.

Don't read me wrong, Combinations is a good album, just not so much what I was expecting. I'm still listening to it though. I love some of it. I was listening to the heavier portion whilst driving through the most massive, beautiful thunder storm I had ever witnessed and the music really stuck to me then. I can listen to it and love some of it, and that's good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pullmyhair
Sea Post King

i 100% feel that the hard/heavy loud guitars do not belong anywhere on the album. it is just not within the style of the band and i feel like the songs with the "heavy" guitars were produced in a way to ready these certain songs for potential radio play. i've been listening to the album for atleast a week now (and 20+ plays on my itunes) so i think it has grown all it can on me.

and many tracks have, like "ten cent blues," which i even skipped at one point but head towards first to start listening to the album.

but invasion, a sight to behold, many funerals, and taking control (the latter two i have previously loved seeing live) just have those parts that i feel do not belong. i also don't understand why anyone would want to distort their voices in some of the songs.

but don't get me wrong, i saw them last week in detroit and love them even more, if that is possible. i just had expectations based on all of their previous music that were'nt fully met. i know that bands grow lyrically and musically through time, but i really hope this knowledge isn't interpreted by the band as a <i>need</i> to change their style/genre, and to a heavier rock style nonetheless. i just hope that their music is softer live with no icky guitars. (or that they forever will do acoustic tours because that was unbelievable and beyond words).

but. go away, come clean, and combinations are unbelievable.

RockerChick
Sea Post King

My thoughts:

1-Instrumentation is incredible. A definite upgrade from any past material.

2-Loving the variety of sounds/tempos. There are rock songs, pop songs, and even a lullabyesque tune.

3-Vocals are stunning. Stacy especially has never sounded better.

Criticisms:

1-I think in place of the melodies/instrumentation, we've sacrificed some lyric potential here. (With the exception of Ten Cent Blues.) Room Noises had such colorful lyrics, very vivid and descriptive. I'm not getting such strong imagery with Combinations.

2-I keep waiting and waiting for the Killer track that just explodes in your face...I'm not hearing it. I heard it several times on Room Noises...you know the parts where you're just like "Wow."

3-What the HELL is Invasion doing on this record? All of the other songs have such a vein of maturity...and then I get a song about aliens? It's a GREAT song, don't misunderstand me, but it's so obviously thrown on there for single potential.

Believe it or not, I don't actually think Room Noises is the better record. I haven't decided. It's kind of hard since Combinations is a totally different beast.
neboundsoutherner
Sea Post King

so "ten cent blues" wasn't really sticking out to me. but i kept thinking about the lyrics. its like a glimpse into my mind. SO AMAZING. "i'm teasing, she is pleasing. She just has no wit." simply incredible lyrics....
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

after two listens i will say this:

my favorite tracks right now are Go Away, Come Clean, Combinations and the last one.

i could easily see Go Away or Come Clean being played on a TV show (or maybe a movie soundtrack).

i think Go Away has single potential if it could find a way to get to the Kiss Me crowd. i think it has direct appeal to teenage/young women, but has maturity enough to cross over to males/older people.

fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

I agree with the person who said the album "Combinations" doesn't evoke imagery in my head like "Room Noises" did. I had been thinking something was different and that's it.
Perhaps next album they will marry the two? Amazing melodies/vocals+imagery=lovely music

Back in the day Eisley commented on my myspace with the following:
'Somebody is sure you love
"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no
matter what that means Smile'

@fragileaswelie
lazerbith
Sea Post King

i think all who were involved on the album did an amazing job.
stacys vocals were great. sherri sounded great. chauntelle was perfect and i loved how they all sang at the end of come clean. instrumentation was beautiful. and richard gibbs was perfect for eisley...
combinations is better than room noises, in my opinion... a step up..
however, i tend to agree. i dont particularly like this "rock" ish sound.
first of all, i miss the rhodes. secondly, i miss whimsical eisley which stands out sooo amazingly in 'marsh kings daughter' ...and though i do agree that it didnt belong on combinations...holy dang... i want a whole album like mkd. thats the eisley i fell in love with. this new eisley sound is cool too.. but... maybe i feel too connected with the older eisley. when they were young and singing about dragons and merry mornings. those are the songs that touched my heart. nostalgia and peacefulness and precious narratives. im sure combinations will grow on me. albums always do.

i also liked icbtfy when it had the heavier jungly drums at the beginning displayed at their live performances. also... ive noticed that i almost like them more live than i do on the album. their voices are less glazed and more punchy and real and "wow"...

i dunno. marsh kings daughter absolutely amazes me. its like the wonderful ep's only beefed up. i love it.
Last edited by lazerbith on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I still haven't gotten my CD in the mail yet (which I am very angry about, by the way), but from what I've heard on myspace, I think this album is really good, but doesn't have the same staying power as Room Noises did. I could listen to Room Noises over and over and not get tired of it, but already I feel I might be starting to out listen Combinations. I don't know, I'll have to wait and see after I hear the actual songs on the CD, apparantly they sound a lot better.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

You guys are beginning to remind me of Innocence Mission fans. One half likes the heavy guitars and the other likes the more acoustic/less orchestrated versions.

It's a hard marriage to master.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

my turn to review the album:

Many Funerals:
I was happy with the outcome of it, actually, my favorite part is the "goodbye" part, where it builds to a climatic ending, IMO, i thought it was awesome.

Invasion:
I've heard it so much, but when i bought the album i made myself listen to it from beginning to end, it's a really good song, i still love it, i just think i indulged a little too much and now i'm not gonna want to listen to it for a week or more, my fault.

Taking Control:
i was so excited to hear it fully, it's one of the best songs on the album, i wouldn't change anything about it, i was kind of skeptical when i saw a youtube video and they changed the bridge, but i always found myself singing the bridge of it more than any other part of the song, and when i heard it recorded, i fell in love, this was a "wow" song for me.

Go Away:
love it, i'm so pleased with the recorded version, and it's just a catchy song, i love that it's kind of the "drop-off" song, as in, the instruments drop off three times in this song, it's kind of got a triple climatic in it really.

I Could Be There for You:
when i heard the youtube clip, i was really, really hesitant on the song, i didn't like it, but i heard it in it's entirity, and i love it, wouldn't change it, not one bit.

Come Clean:
the biggest stand out song, IMO, i love it, i love the harmonies in it, and pretty much everything about it, and it helps that they all sing in this song, it's soft when need be, but breaking through on other parts, it's perfect.

Ten Cent Blues:
i'm so happy with this song, i never thought it would be this good, another stand out song, it's quirky, and the beat and lyrics are incrdible.

A Sight to Behold:
never in my right mind would i have thought that the old "Causing a Scene" would be transormed into this, ever, it's beyond words good.

Combinations:
love it, just love it, i can't help it, i love the lyrics, i love the sad-sounding verses and the brightened up chorus and bridge, it makes a perfect package.

If You're Wondering:
When i first heard it, i wasn't really taken with it, at all, but it's grown on me a lot, i pretty much love it now, it's the perfect ending to the album.

extra tracks-
Marsh King's Daughter:
i can't see this being on the album, i love the song, it's just so different i think it'd be weird to put it on there, going from mellow or hard/up-beat to brass section and ukelele, i'm happy they left this song off, but i'm glad to have it, it's so different that it makes it so good.

Like the Actors:
this would've been more worthy to have been on the album than MKD, cause it fit the feel much better, but it would've made the album seem much slower than it really is, it would've seemed like the slow tracks out numbered the more up-beat ones, even though it would've have, good choice on cutting it, i still love this song though.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

alright, i really like this album. i am though, going to sound very critical, but so is everyone else.

firstly, i must say i am surprised that people think the heavy guitars are not eisley sounding. what about "head against the sky"? "blackened crown"? "dream for me"? i must say, i love the heavier, darker sound. it harkens back to earlier eisley, which is something that i missed on Room Noises.

with that said, i am slightly saddened at the lack of whimsy in this album. i like a happy medium between dark and happy. i think the lyrics are definately lacking the strong imagery of room noises/the EPs. i think eisley always managed to make great observations about the world/life by creating fantasy settings in their songs (like trolleywood, laughing city, etc).

the music itself is stunning. i don't have the album with me (haven't stuck on the laptop yet), but i've listened to it about 6-7 times since last night. the girls voices fit together perfectly. i love the addition of the trumpets to "combinations." i prefer the production on this album to room noises. "taking control" is such a fun song! it makes me want to dance at the beginning.

i have to say that i have completely lost track of eisley these past few months. i have some of the new songs live, but had only listened to them once or twice (with the exception of "we feel good," hope that pops up somewhere later. it's just so happy). I bought this album having listened to nothing beforehand (my summer with dial-up has motivated that). All the songs are new to me, which i like a lot.

I do have to agree with everyone on the length. it's great that they wanted to stick to songs that fit a theme, but this album feels more like an EP. by the time i got into it, it was already over. there doesn't really seem to be a good flow from beginning to middle to end. it just seems like the songs got shoved into place, whereas room noises flowed better to me. i think the stronger songs would benefit to having a few others in there, to give the listener more of a journey through listening. also, this is my opinion, "combinations" feels like such a closing song that i don't really pay attention to "if you're wondering" at all.

so, in conclusion: lyrics are meh, music is beautiful, length is too short.

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

After receiving it Monday and blasting it in my room, with the bass and drums vibrating my floor... and then also in the car. This is my opinion:

Many Funerals: I don't like it as an opener. As my mom said, "it's sort of obnoxious" to listen to first thing. I think you need time to get ready for it because it's a really in-your-face song. It would make a great closer though, especially with the "goodbye" at the end. I'll just change the track order and burn a copy... problem solved.

Invasion: Love the creepiness of the synth (or whatever that sound is in the beginning) and the "youuuuuu" part is very catchy. It really builds up with loud drums on the last chorus and the last note is great... the abruptness leaves you with an unsure feeling.

Taking Control: I listened to the live bootleg a lot last year... I was really looking forward to this one. It's mostly what I was hoping for, but I did notice a more mainstream pop-rock sound to it... almost like it was trying to be radio friendly. I've always thought the lyrics made it radio friendly... everyone likes a song they can relate to. And I think everyone, especially kids, have felt like someone was trying to take control of their lives. Songs of rebellion are successful with teens. I could definitely see this being a hit. The "ooo's" right before Stacy's part are my favorite addition to the song... and I've loved the end vocals ever since they started playing it live.

Go Away: I liked it when I heard it live on that SXSW video, but for some reason the vocals seem weak on the album version, especially Sherri's. The chorus is very catchy... the melody kind of goes into country territory... not enough to ruin the song though. I love the drums right after the last "I am holding you" and Garron's bass parts are amazing! The keys really make the song, IMO. And after listening with headphones, I can hear those wooden chime things... they really add something special.

I Could Be There For You: This has been my favorite ever since Boyd showed us that video from the Bowery Ballroom last year. I loved the jungley beat... it was different from all of their other songs. I also loved the lyrics... the verses were weird and the chorus was relatable. I was really sad they changed "love is a false dart driven into your heart"... one of the best lines I've heard in a song period. Other than that, my only complaint is that I wish the drums were louder. But I'm happy with the production of the song overall. It starts out fairly slow and simple, but when the "whoa's" come in, it totally transforms the song into an ethereal masterpiece of emotion. The bridge and Chauntelle are the icing on the cake.

Come Clean: This is my 2nd favorite. The lyrics are repetitive, but I LOVE the melody and the way Stacy uses her voice. It makes me dance a little. The mandolin reminds me of a ukulele and therefore reminds me of Hawaii (it almost sounds like it could be a Jack Johnson song). So in other words, it kind of makes me very happy... like Eisley's old songs do. I love the a cappella vocals (2:05) and the full band chorus at the end. These are the kind of Eisley songs that made me fall in love with them in the first place.

Ten Cent Blues: Definitely hear the Fleetwood Mac influence at the beginning. It's twangy, but not too twangy for my tastes. Some of the lyrics are rather random, but I get what the song is about in the greater sense. It's a common subject that musicians write about, but I'm glad Stacy/Sherri wrote about it in a sophisticated way instead of Avril's approach (hey hey you you I don't like your girlfriend). I'm glad they kept the verse from the demo because it's very relatable... guy chooses hot girl over the one with the brain. I like the organ in the chorus and Chauntelle's guitar part during "in a way it's making me crazy..." This song has so many different parts that it doesn't get boring or repetitive.

A Sight to Behold: I like the contrast between Stacy's soft vocals and the loud drums/synth (or is it guitar with heavy effects?). I love the "ooo's"... something you can find in almost every Eisley song, and usually my favorite part of the songs. Their harmonies really set them apart from other female singers. The break towards the end is kinda creepy and sounds like they're marching towards you... possibly still possessed from the body snatchers. It's very different from anything they've ever done... and any other band for that matter.

Combinations: When I first heard it on one of the webisodes, I knew it would have a special place in my heart. It's definitely for those who have been/are in love. The marxophone and the piano together remind me of Asian music... anyone else hear that? Or maybe it's an Asian instrument, which would explain it. It sounds really cool though. The chorus makes my heart melt and Stacy's part ("all the time"...) gives me the chills. The horns at the end are a really cool addition.

If You're Wondering: I haven't gotten into this track yet, which is weird because it sounds the most like the Room Noises era (which I love). Maybe that's why I'm not feeling it, because it sounds like it belongs on RN instead of this album. The melody is lullaby-like... and even sounds a little like their song "Lullaby". I could fall asleep to it... and almost did yesterday. It's a nice song, but I could live without it.

Like the Actors: Would've been a great addition to the album, but I'm just happy to have it at all. This was one of my favorites from the Final Noise tour. I love the lyrics a lot... very wise observations about human nature. The drum beat was my favorite part, but it's been toned down a bit... and the piano has been toned up, which is cool... sounds great.

Marsh King's Daughter: A fun song that should be played through the speakers at Disneyland. Whenever I want to be in a good mood, I'll just put this on. The people who came in to do horns did a great job.

I have a separate review for the DVD, but I'll see if there's a special thread for that. Otherwise I'll start one.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

treetops12 wrote:
I can hear those wooden chime things... they really add something special.

The only thing like that I noticed occurred at about 1:16. It almost seemed like something that was recorded accidently and never removed.

What are you talking about exactly?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pollyanna87
Sea Post King

alexmac1990 wrote:
I agree with the person who said the album "Combinations" doesn't evoke imagery in my head like "Room Noises" did. I had been thinking something was different and that's it.
Perhaps next album they will marry the two? Amazing melodies/vocals+imagery=lovely music

I think for what it lacks in imagery, it makes up in emotion. 100% emotional delivery. I really feel like the band literally gave us a piece of themself in this album.