Laughing City
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

there's a demo of Ten Cent Blues somewhere?

in response to the Asian/Combinations thing, i imagine they liked that instrument/sound because of their love of Bjork.

leighish
Vintage Newbie

I don't know if I am overtired or overly hormonal or just really moved but Go Away made me burst into tears.

it's probably a combination Wink

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
I can hear those wooden chime things... they really add something special.

The only thing like that I noticed occurred at about 1:16. It almost seemed like something that was recorded accidently and never removed.

What are you talking about exactly?

Now that I listen to it again, I realize it's only the sound of fingers on guitar strings. Laughing

ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

i finally bought the album tonight and i am really impressed. dig it.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
plentypine
Sea Post King

Aww, I showed my mom the litho and she goes "They're grown up! Those kids are growing up. They use to be like ..babies!" Laughing I didn't even know she knew who they were!
Kit
Sea Post King

keithabbott wrote:
You guys are beginning to remind me of Innocence Mission fans. One half likes the heavy guitars and the other likes the more acoustic/less orchestrated versions.

It's a hard marriage to master.

Innocence Mission are fantastic. I could listen to Birds of My Neighborhood on repeat.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

treetops12 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
I can hear those wooden chime things... they really add something special.

The only thing like that I noticed occurred at about 1:16. It almost seemed like something that was recorded accidently and never removed.

What are you talking about exactly?

Now that I listen to it again, I realize it's only the sound of fingers on guitar strings. Laughing

Haha, ok, I wasn't sure. My headphones are a bit bass heavy for my tastes, so I might have missed some of the high action.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Finally an Eisley fan that likes tIM. Smile I know tIM fans that like Eisley, but not the reversal. hehe. I'm old school though. I like their first three albums with A&M the most. I miss their drummer Steve. I feel like it really added to the sound. Gave it more variety.

Kit wrote:
keithabbott wrote:
You guys are beginning to remind me of Innocence Mission fans. One half likes the heavy guitars and the other likes the more acoustic/less orchestrated versions.

It's a hard marriage to master.

Innocence Mission are fantastic. I could listen to Birds of My Neighborhood on repeat.

Last edited by keithabbott on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
silverfrost
Sea Post King

pollyanna87 wrote:
I think for what it lacks in imagery, it makes up in emotion. 100% emotional delivery. I really feel like the band literally gave us a piece of themself in this album.

That's the same kind of feel I got from this album too. I feel like it's exceptionally personal and the songs are even more heartfelt than before.

Hm, I guess since everyone's listing their favorites, mine are Come Clean (amazing! just perfect), ICBTFY, and Go Away. So basically, it's the middle of the album I constantly repeat. Smile

lazerbith
Sea Post King

I take back every single negative thing I said yesterday.
This album is breathtaking and 100% amazingly beautiful.
They should have an orchestra with them during their live shows.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

this morning I was listening to combinations (the song) and it just struck a chord in the deepest part of my heart. And I collapsed into a pile and started to cry.

A+

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

hang on, hang on...

where are people getting Like The Actors from?

it's not on iTunes?
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Binary Dragon
Sea Post King

I posted some links to it in an old thread on Tuesday. I don't want to dig them up, but you should be able to search for it.

As far as the album, I am completely unable to find words to describe how I feel about it. So I'll just say "I'm completely enchanted" and leave it at that.

Laughing Citizen

Here's my novel of a review:

I was debating writing a review…maybe because with me I like to just experience music and sometimes it seems like reviews in general over-analyze and ruin the experience. Still, I figured if I can’t talk about my own feelings on this forum, then where can I talk about the album? Very Happy

Overall, I’m loving Combinations but if you are one of those fans that fell in love with the Eisley thanks to the whimsical feel to their music (like me), it’s definitely an album that has to grow on you. Thankfully, once it does, you realize how overall awesome it is.

I definitely feel Boyd’s early descriptions of the album. It’s more accessible in a way that its not just fanciful songs or odd little stories, but things more people can relate to…Still if you consider Eisley’s FULL catalogue, and even Room Noises, you can still feel the similarity to those works. They always had both guitar heavy songs as well as softer songs, so even though its different, it still feels organic and consistent to me.

Now song by song!

First listen of the full studio album, there was at least one part of each song that made my jaw drop! Some highlights/thoughts:

Many Funerals: VERY first time I heard it live, I thought “What is this?” but it grew on me each small change they made. Now I love it. Powerful start to the album, LOVE the ending overlapping part.

Invasion: I think I read some say that this is too wordy, but I actually REALLY like how the lyrics flow to this one. And the bridge, after two listens I really fell for the new bridge.

Taking Control:
Very catchy which I like. I find myself jamming to this one. The bridge and overlay vocals in the ending choruses are awesome. I think it should be a single.

Go Away: First listen (which was that SXSW clip) I thought it was too typical…except for when it got to the echo part. That and the bass line gets me each time. Then it grew on me. Studio version, same thing (about the bass line and vocals). Sherri’s harmonies make my heart melt…so pretty. Should be a single.

I Could Be There For You: Favorite during the final noise tour. Lost some favor during the more recent live clips. Got WAY back up there studio version. I like how its still a bit electro-ethereal. To fix the lower-than-desired drums, I just put the bass up in my equalizer Wink But honestly, it works well as it is if I play it on my better stereo system.

Come Clean: Being the dreamy- and/or trippy Beatles-esk Eisley lover I was skeptical. Boy was I wrong! One of my top tracks first listen. I like the melody and the rhythm (like during the verses) to this song. Cool that they are all singing, though wish you could hear the guys more.

Ten Cent Blues: For not being a “country” fan (even “alt-country”) this song is Amazing. Definitely interesting way of discussing what the song is supposedly about… I like how they trade off vocals effortlessly and it pretty much sounds like the same person. The “I saw it all” is crazy. And twang or not, the guitar is awesome.

ASTBH: Interesting track…It sort of freaks me out…but in a good way! Like the 2.0 version of the independent recording Eps/live Eisley tracks.

Combinations: First listen (a live clip) almost made me cry, no joke. And initially I thought it was going to be too romantic for me. Love the European folk feel to it. It’s a very different type of ballad. The end is crazy good.

If You’re Wondering: Even though this seems to be a sleeper for a lot of people, this is one of my favorites. I just love the overall feel to this song. The last chorus harmonies make my heart swell. Maybe its just a personal thing because it reminds me of some late 80s/early 90s pop-soul ballad---which to me is a good thing! Laughing I definitely felt the emotion here, reminds me most of the type of emotion I felt on Room Noises.

Other tracks:

Like the Actors: Another favorite from the Final Noise tour, but I agree with it being left off. Something didn’t translate right in the studio version. Still like the song overall and love it live.

Marsh King’s Daughter: Oh my goodness! Shocked Of any of the songs, I think this shows the best of the best of what an Eisley + soundtrack composer (Richard) combination could become. Not just because it sounds like a soundtrack song, but the awesome instrumentation jells perfectly with the quirky side of Eisley (I love the vocal effects, and when it cuts down and sounds like an old recording for a bit) . It starts out awesome, and just keeps going the full song with each new part/section. It doesn’t fit with Combinations, but wouldn’t that have been fun if it was a hidden track? I’m still extremely happy we got this (and LTA) without much wait time at all. Probably got them sooner than if they had been the UK extra tracks.
Last edited by Mystic210 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
LadyJaneGrey
Sea Post King

Boyd mentioned everyone sang on one song...it is Come Clean, correct?