Laughing City
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I think I would like Taking Control a lot more if it were just an amped up guitar or two in the chorus with heavy drumming.

I want the drumming to drive ICBTFY much moreso than it does on this album, and the dropping out of all the instruments right before Chauntelle sings seems kinda cheesy to me. I think the instrumentation should get heavier at that part.
The instruments dropping out works perfectly on TCB though.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I love it all, really, with the exception of uh..whatever the last song is called. I just really don't know how to put it without (possibly) hurting feelings, so I won't, but it really brings down the album, in my honest opinion. Everything before it though is phenomenal, especially Go Away, Come Clean and yes, Taking Control.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

You all picked what sounded best knowing most of the other options. I have no complaints. This is an amazing album that I know I'll still be listening to for a long time to come.
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

After initially being slow to "take to" the new album...

I've come to really dig it.

I just love Eisley and I know they put a LOT of heart, soul, and sweat (blood, sweat, tears? maybe not blood : P) into it. And Richard Gibbs has cool hair.

Yeah, it's different from Room Noises and kind of rubbed me the wrong way on first listen (also because of previewing it on myspace... that was dumb of me... I should have just waited to hear it on Tuesday 8/14).

I love it. I love Eisley... I hope they just keep rockin' Razz

My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

I like the album. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't have bought it. 10/10
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

My new favorite band, Eisley has a new album called Combinations. Great stuff. I found the band when they were featured on Myspace on the front page,and I just clicked it. After hearing the first song (they have the whole CD to listen to on their myspace) I was hooked. Its three chicks, their brother, and a cousin. Its a mixture of pop, folk, indie (I still don't know what it means, but I think I've heard Weezer called it..whatever), country, and a hint of subtle sadness to it.

For me, its a very very depressing album (I also think this with their first album, room noises) underneath the poppy harmonies and songs about love, I sense an underlying sadness and despair, love, regret, and beauty I've never noticed with any other band)

The first track off of it is called Many Funerals. This was the song that got me hooked to the band. Its kinda slow to start, and its about death, death of family, and trying to live and love the best you can before death. It has a very romantic feel to it.

The more I listen to it, the more I feel like dying. The lyric "How could you have left us here? " is very sad and they repeat the words, "breakdown, goodbye" a lot near the end and I get the feeling of death, and the decay of a corpse. song rating: 10/10.

Track 2 Invasion. Its a but more upbeat song, but still, Iget a negative vibe from it. Its based on the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But what I see the lyrics are about death slowly, creeping into your soul and slowly dying.

I certainly get the feel of death in the song. Great harmonies and lyrics. Another 10/10

Taking Control More upbeat than Invasion. Its about people taking control of their lives, and how they won't take it. I get a bit of positiveness in here, but its still its a kinda gloomy song (at least to me) 8/10

Go Away Its about love and then losing that love. Asking the other person to leave them be. Its got a nice piano roll in it which matches with the song. 8/10

I Could Be There For You Another song (I believe) about love. To me, its another song that makes me sad. It gets a bit harder as it goes on. and its based on a march-like drum beat. 10/10

Come Clean Its got a lil reggae thing going on. Ireally don't know what its about, but the lyrics "come clean all around me" kinda make me snicker. Laughing (yeah, Im kinda perverted, I know) Its a really soothing song. Makes me want to fall asleep. 8/10

Ten Cent Blues Its a country/blues song. I think Its about a woman who is fighting against the world (yeah, chick rock, girl power-rofl, all that jazz) Going against ridicule and her own shortcoming. I never really liked country, but its a good song.7/10

A Sight to Behold This song kicks ass. Its about two people who have failed at love, but they connect with each other and start a relationship for forever. Its just a $#@! awesome song. Could also make a good metal song if done properly. The harmonizing vocal solo near the end is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. 10/10.

Combinations The title track of the album. A slow, depressing song, Very 'goth' feel to it in the beginning. Another song about romance. How the person has found love, and then met the right person and wants to stay with them forever. Its mainly about marriage, as the lyricist had just gotten married before the album. Its a really beautiful song. Another "cryer". Great marriage song 9/10

If You're Wondering The beginning sounds like a lullaby combined with a baby's music box. It does sound like a lullaby. Its got this real brightness to it. It also sounds like a good song to kill yourself by. 8/10

In Conclusion, this is a beautiful album. It has a range of emotions in it, from harder songs to ballads. When I first heard it, It was very close brought me to tears. No other cd I have has made me felt that way. Everything is perfect. The harmonies, the rockage, every emotion known to man is in this album.If you like rock-hell, if you like music you owe it to yourself to buy this album. I've kinda been pressuring tony to get it (haha Laughing ) but seriously, go and get it. Its a good album if your feeling down, feeling love, feeling grief. Your insignificant, hollow existence will either be more hallow or you will be overjoyed with happiness. Im happy, becuase I found an album depressing enough to love.

In conclusion, the album, to me gets a perfect 10/10. I believe I have found one of the most pristine, awesome, emotional album that can suit me for everything I feel. Sure, my depression gets worse when I listen to it, but I now, in my life I thrive on sadness and the loosing of love. (even though I really don't believe in love as a concept) It really makes me kinda want to experience love, but I really don't think I can.
madcat2089
Sea Post King

My Blackened Crown wrote:
My new favorite band, Eisley has a new album called Combinations. Great stuff. I found the band when they were featured on Myspace on the front page,and I just clicked it. After hearing the first song (they have the whole CD to listen to on their myspace) I was hooked. Its three chicks, their brother, and a cousin. Its a mixture of pop, folk, indie (I still don't know what it means, but I think I've heard Weezer called it..whatever), country, and a hint of subtle sadness to it.

For me, its a very very depressing album (I also think this with their first album, room noises) underneath the poppy harmonies and songs about love, I sense an underlying sadness and despair, love, regret, and beauty I've never noticed with any other band)

The first track off of it is called Many Funerals. This was the song that got me hooked to the band. Its kinda slow to start, and its about death, death of family, and trying to live and love the best you can before death. It has a very romantic feel to it.

The more I listen to it, the more I feel like dying. The lyric "How could you have left us here? " is very sad and they repeat the words, "breakdown, goodbye" a lot near the end and I get the feeling of death, and the decay of a corpse. song rating: 10/10.

Track 2 Invasion. Its a but more upbeat song, but still, Iget a negative vibe from it. Its based on the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But what I see the lyrics are about death slowly, creeping into your soul and slowly dying.

I certainly get the feel of death in the song. Great harmonies and lyrics. Another 10/10

Taking Control More upbeat than Invasion. Its about people taking control of their lives, and how they won't take it. I get a bit of positiveness in here, but its still its a kinda gloomy song (at least to me) 8/10

Go Away Its about love and then losing that love. Asking the other person to leave them be. Its got a nice piano roll in it which matches with the song. 8/10

I Could Be There For You Another song (I believe) about love. To me, its another song that makes me sad. It gets a bit harder as it goes on. and its based on a march-like drum beat. 10/10

Come Clean Its got a lil reggae thing going on. Ireally don't know what its about, but the lyrics "come clean all around me" kinda make me snicker. Laughing (yeah, Im kinda perverted, I know) Its a really soothing song. Makes me want to fall asleep. 8/10

Ten Cent Blues Its a country/blues song. I think Its about a woman who is fighting against the world (yeah, chick rock, girl power-rofl, all that jazz) Going against ridicule and her own shortcoming. I never really liked country, but its a good song.7/10

A Sight to Behold This song kicks ass. Its about two people who have failed at love, but they connect with each other and start a relationship for forever. Its just a $#@! awesome song. Could also make a good metal song if done properly. The harmonizing vocal solo near the end is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. 10/10.

Combinations The title track of the album. A slow, depressing song, Very 'goth' feel to it in the beginning. Another song about romance. How the person has found love, and then met the right person and wants to stay with them forever. Its mainly about marriage, as the lyricist had just gotten married before the album. Its a really beautiful song. Another "cryer". Great marriage song 9/10

If You're Wondering The beginning sounds like a lullaby combined with a baby's music box. It does sound like a lullaby. Its got this real brightness to it. It also sounds like a good song to kill yourself by. 8/10

In Conclusion, this is a beautiful album. It has a range of emotions in it, from harder songs to ballads. When I first heard it, It was very close brought me to tears. No other cd I have has made me felt that way. Everything is perfect. The harmonies, the rockage, every emotion known to man is in this album.If you like rock-hell, if you like music you owe it to yourself to buy this album. I've kinda been pressuring tony to get it (haha Laughing ) but seriously, go and get it. Its a good album if your feeling down, feeling love, feeling grief. Your insignificant, hollow existence will either be more hallow or you will be overjoyed with happiness. Im happy, becuase I found an album depressing enough to love.

In conclusion, the album, to me gets a perfect 10/10. I believe I have found one of the most pristine, awesome, emotional album that can suit me for everything I feel. Sure, my depression gets worse when I listen to it, but I now, in my life I thrive on sadness and the loosing of love. (even though I really don't believe in love as a concept) It really makes me kinda want to experience love, but I really don't think I can.

um. You thrive on sadness?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this album isn't about death death death.
norad
Vintage Newbie

DEATH DEATH DEATH?
madcat2089
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:

I think you just found his new favorite band.

On another note, I was listening to Shania Twain's "Up!" and I can really see how she immersed her vision of hell into it. Death-gripping. I don't know how else to explain it
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

What? Thats what I get out of the album, a sense of death.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

My Blackened Crown wrote:
What? Thats what I get out of the album, a sense of death.

Fair enough, but don't be surprised that we don't share your sentiment. Smile

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

Yeah, different strokes for different folks, I always say.
lazerbith
Sea Post King

my blackened crown,
im curious as to which album (of any artist) gave you a sense of joy and happiness?
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

Really, the only band that makes me happy is The Prodigy.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

uhhh ten times and still lovin it. Taking Control and Combinations are my two favorite tracks. The wait was well worth it.