Laughing City
gRegor
the gEek

Ok, so we're moving towards an official Eisley chat room that will be right on the site here. The AIM chatroom is pretty popular, apparently.. this will be more convenient, plus we'll be able to moderate it.

[Slightly technical babble]

We need 10 people ("Supporters") in order to register the chat room channel. Registration means that the server will keep the room open at all times, and auto-recognize the admins and moderators, giving them appropriate privileges when they join.

The 10 supporters should ideally be familiar with using IRC and have a program that they have access to IRC rooms with. There are several free programs which support IRC such as mIRC and Trillian. The supporters will need to create an account with Undernet CService. This is not the same as registering an IRC screen name.

The supporters are so-called because they will be listed on the chat room application and all of them need to "validate" the room, or give approval that "yes, there is a desire and need for this room". Being a supporter is not any special privilege in the chat room, unless you want to pat yourself on the back. Supporters will not automatically be ops or moderators.

Registering with CService gives you a username and password to log into X, which is Undernet's software that keeps all the rooms open. During the 10 day registration period, each supporter will need to consistently log in to X, and join the chat room. They verify that the supporters are actually active this way.

So if you are familiar with IRC, have a program that you can access IRC rooms with, and can commit to logging in consistently during the registration period, please register with CService (link above) and post your username here. I will notify everyone before I actually submit the application, because that's when the fun starts (confirming, logging in, all that jazz). There will be more specific instructions at that point.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or IM me. You can also look over the CService site at http://cservice.undernet.org

The chat room will be #Eisley, on the Undernet servers.

[End babble]

If that made zero sense to you, don't worry.. you're probably not what we need for a supporter. No offense at all. Smile [Hey, you can be moral support] And don't worry, once the chat room is registered and official, it will be very easy to access from the site. It's just the process of getting the room to be official that's a tad geeky. Very Happy

lemonadesurprise
Sea Post King

Username = Craggy84
BK
Laughing Citizen

What about the mac users?
Golly, Poster

I tried to register, but the site keeps saying
"This server is currently experiencing a very high volume of transactions. Please try again in a moment.
We are sorry for the inconvenience."

That happened like 7 times so I will try again later on...

Beat it,
-DV1
pzy
Wookie Luke

I dunno if IRC is such a good idea... it's pretty hard for newbies to get on to and with netsplits and lamers it's just not that great of a scene to have a channel that doesn't really learn towards the technical side of life. The most successful channels on IRC are computer and such channels, where people know what they're doing and can deal with splitting servers and how to inform newbies of what to do.

So yeah, I dunno if IRC is the best plan. Java clients (which I assume will be used on this site) are buggy at best, and I betcha that it either won't run well or won't run at all on a Mac - and I've noted a lot of Eisley fans use Macs. Their only alternative would be to download and configure an IRC client like Ircle or Snak... once again not very ideal unless you're really dedicated. New people might just shrug off the idea of working to get into the chat room and abandon it.

If you must go IRC, why Undernet? Registering a channel on DALnet is much less hassle, just create it and go. Undernet's all beurocratic and stuff. EFNet is full of packet kiddies and general lameness. Feh. I've been on IRC for close to 8 years, I'm so jaded towards it Wink

-My 2¢

gRegor
the gEek

Dalnet's been a real pain in the butt lately, very hard to get connected to. In my experience.. but it has been a while. I've used java IRC interfaces w/ no problems, plus we can always tweak it ourselves.

And I was pretty sure Macs supported Java.

I don't know, it's kind of an experiment I guess. We'll see how it goes.

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

well having our own server off the networks is one way to deal with much of the lameness that comes with IRC but i don't know how feasible that is. An advantage to underNet is the channel service, basically its a high powered bot that maintains control of the channel. If we just started up a channel we would need our own properly configured bot running somewhere to maintain control when no ops are on, why not just let underNet do it?

but yeah it will be more difficult for people to get to the #eisley room vs. the AIM room. An applet of some sort will definately be needed for those who don't know how or don't want to download/install a dedicated client ( i have an applet in testing right now ). The applet i have just asks for the nick you'd like to use then a single button press gets you in the channel so its pretty simple.

comments?

ali
since 1979

username: helloali

i think plenty of people have had trouble with aim as far as getting booted and such, so irc shouldn't be any worse, really, even with netsplits. i'd much rather have an applet i could tweak myself, running on my own server, than being at the mercy of somebody else's software and servers. just depends on how feasible that is..

boyd
Eisleyoid

gRegor... do you need anything from me? Call me if so.
Otherwise, I just want to be a non-geek who just logs on
and say's "hey, what's up everybody?". I publicly thank you
for pushing ahead. That was public; over 10 people read
this; see: article 15. section 6. paragraph a of the U.S.
Statistics. Constitutions of Public Recognition and Domain
where you'll see the pretty picture of a healthy, trunkated,
man-a-war dog.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
pzy
Wookie Luke

I'm glad there's a whole lot of geeks here Wink

Don't get me wrong, I think switching to IRC is feasable if it's easy enough for newbies to get online. If whatever applet we'd use to get people on IRC works for Safari for OS X, and IE for OS X and 9, and Windows then I'm all all for it.

Does undernet allow non-idented clients? I know DALnet doesn't from some ISPs (cable modems and DSL mostly) and EFnet bans some from specific servers. That'd be a pain to overcome through a Java applet, since lots of people use firewalls and routers these days. That and if you want to have the Java applet connect through its own host, then Undernet will only allow a specific amount before it deems the client "clones" and bans the hostname from the network.

Maybe it would be a better idea to run our own IRCd, it's definitely not very hard. Lemme know if you have any questions as to how to get that set up!

-Luke

chasd00

username on undernet: chasd00

the only issues i see with Eisley having their own server is the sys admin overhead ( security/hardware/stability ect ) and the fact that it is another box that needs to be hosted somwhere. I suppose the daemon could run on the same hardware as the forum ( if its UNIX ) the bandwidth reqs for IRC would be negligable compared with the forum.

I'd like to at least try out the undernet thing before heading down the "eisley owned irc server" route. There's already some time invested in undernet and it may work out just fine.

chasd00

here's the applet that i'm working on. i tried to strip it down to the bare essentials. It logs into a demo channel, any feedback especially from dial up users and mac users would help out a lot.

http://www.straylight6.org/irc/chat1.html

ali
since 1979

chad, i think it's the same thing that happened to me last time - unable to connect to server.
Derek Version 1
Golly, Poster

Ok, I got it.
Username = Derek11

Beat it,
-DV1
gRegor
the gEek

I tried out the applet.. it worked well, got in quickly.. [on dial-up, PC, Opera] there was some message about registering the software, though?