Laughing City

Do long distance relationships ever work?
YES! Of course, love always conquers all.
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Nope. Never. Soooorrry.
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 24

pearl
Sea Post King

I'm about to go back to my hometown because school is starting and I'm leaving my boyfriend here in the bay area.
I'm scared we may not make it. There'll be a 3 hour drive between us and I'll be busy with high school while he's starting college so we won't see each other face to face very often. We'll talk on the phone a lot and the internet helps a bunch.
But...I dunno.
What do all of you guys' think? Is it possible to stay together?

Lantz
Vintage Newbie

it really depends on the relationship. if its a really strong relationship and the two people aren't away from eachother for a long time, then yea it could work.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

My wife and I dated in college, but I graduated 1 1/2 years before she did and moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois while she stayed in Pennsylvania. That was in 1991. She came out to live in Illinois for a summer, and went back to school. It wasn't easy and it was expensive at times, but we worked out and have been married 10 years.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

*naughty (Punjab) words*. (that's how i feel about myself for believing that a younger girl who lived about 30 miles away knew what love was and how she could be in love with me. and the girl).

Yes and no, is the answer.
There was someone in the paper a few weeks ago, a famous person who i'd never heard of, who just mentioned that her husband lives the other side of the world and it works fine. Think of Sherri and Chad. I mean, either one or both of them will be on tour most of the time. that's sort-of a long-distance relationship. Boyd/Kim is too. Kinda.

Yeah...

*shrugs*.

Just sayin'.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

Lantz wrote:
it really depends on the relationship. if its a really strong relationship and the two people aren't away from eachother for a long time, then yea it could work.

Yeah. What he said.
I know people who prefer long distance relationships and I know people who couldn't live without seeing their significant other everyday or every other day.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

my wife and i met over the internet. are whole courting time was done long distance. we flew to see each other once ever two months.

i in illinois and she in dallas texas.

we have been married for 4 years now and have two kids.

it can be done if you are willing to work at it.
which is good practice. because marriage takes work too. anyone who tells you different is a liar.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

My wife and I also met online... at this forum, as a matter of fact. I was in Texas and she was in Canada. We talked via Skype a lot.

Luckily, I'm a teacher so I visited her in the summer and we took a long road trip (if you want to know if you're compatible with somebody... spend two weeks driving 4200 miles with that person). She came to visit me a couple of times too. Eventually we got married... she moved here... and she got her green card. Now we have a baby on the way.

Hooray!

So it CAN work; it just doesn't work every time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
pearl
Sea Post King

Awww, it's cute how the married guys chime in with stories about their wives. Smile
shyviolet
Lost at Forum

i can think of four married couples i'm friends with that, for various reasons, spent a year (or in one case several years) dating long-distance before they married. in all those cases, they were older than you and your boyfriend are now and i think that could be significant. but yeah, as people have already stated, it surely can work.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

*waves*

*baby kicks*

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

i know two girls on deviantart who have been in a relationship for 3 years and only met up in real life a month or two ago.

one lives in england, the other in australia.
how is that for long distance.

it all depends on the people, you can't categorise love!
ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

i think it depends on the relationship and your bond. if you are deeply in love on all the right levels, a long distance relationship could definetly work.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

A long distance relationship is under the same risks as a normal one.
Some relationships work, some don't.
End of story.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

My fiance and I "dated" online for a couple months before we met in person, and then had to wait another couple of months before one of us could move to be with the other. Then he went on two deployments in six months and I was left alone. We're engaged and getting married next year.

The possibility of survival in a long distance relationship depends largely on the people involved and the time spent apart. I know people who couldn't survive if their significant other was away for a week, and others who went for years without getting to see each other.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I try to distance myself from all relationships.

Wink

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers