Laughing City
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I looked and didn't see a thread dedicated to this, so I hope you all don't mind that I'm starting one.

I, for one, had no idea that I would get an extra track if I purchased 'Combinations' on iTunes until I was already home from the store with my physical copy of the CD. There was no indication on the website prior to release or anything.

I think I just feel a little ripped off, especially since the iTUNES preview of the song sounds so amazing. Will this ever be made available to purchase stand-alone, because I can't see myself shelling out 10 big ones for a single song and I refuse to pirate music from bands I like.

Keep making good music, just let us know in advance how we're going to be able to get ALL of your good music at a fair price.
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

olimario wrote:
Will this ever be made available to purchase stand-alone, because I can't see myself shelling out 10 big ones for a single song and I refuse to pirate music from bands I like.

Admiral79
Lost at Forum

Yeah, I'm not happy about it. I went to iTunes yesterday to download it specifically and wasn't too pleased that I couldn't download it by itself. I'm not going to download the whole album to get the one song either since I've already bought the album. The good thing is that I don't have any qualms about bootlegging the song and unless they make it available individually, that's what I'll be doing.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I'm just not sure why they did what they did without any warning of it. There was literally no in-your-face mention of it until after the CD was released and I had my hard copy.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

First, welcome!

Second, let's try to be proactive with this. I wonder if there's anyway we can beat down the doors of the people who are in charge of things like this (alas, probably not the band), and start demanding the song to be sold individually. Maybe without calling them evil, since sweet talking might help. haha.

Anyone know where to start for that?

P.S. Most bands don't have hordes of people who clamor and scrape for every last song. This is a good thing for Eisley.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister_Pine
Sea Post King

olimario wrote:
I refuse to pirate music from bands I like.

For me, it's more like "pirating" from iTunes, not Eisley. If it was Eisley's choice, I think they'd have sold MKD seperate. Of course, iTunes or at least WB had other plans to try to earn more money and of course it works to an extent. But, if they sold it seperate... how many more people would buy it? My guess would be a lot more. They may not get $10 from someone buying the whole cd, but I'm sure more people would buy it. Even though I and a lot of others already have the song, we would probably buy it just to support the best band in the world.

For a while now, I have been totally against all this exclusive stuff. It's a huge pain and I think it only leads to more illegal downloading. I say if you are going to do something exclusive, do it everywhere but for a limited time. Like... first few shippings only. That would promote sales for the first couple weeks the CD is out and would probably get them at a higher chart position which would probably get them more recognition... more radio plays... etc.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

TheAntrider wrote:
First, welcome!

Second, let's try to be proactive with this. I wonder if there's anyway we can beat down the doors of the people who are in charge of things like this (alas, probably not the band), and start demanding the song to be sold individually. Maybe without calling them evil, since sweet talking might help. haha.

P.S. Most bands don't have hordes of people who clamor and scrape for every last song. This is a good thing for Eisley.

First, thanks!

I hope I didn't come across as rude with my post. I'm just a little upset that the song isn't in my rotation yet because I was stupid and bought their CD the first chance I got.

I would love to be proactive with this, but it's impossible without feedback from the band about WHY the situation is the way it is.

Quote:
For me, it's more like "pirating" from iTunes, not Eisley. If it was Eisley's choice, I think they'd have sold MKD seperate. Of course, iTunes or at least WB had other plans to try to earn more money and of course it works to an extent. But, if they sold it seperate... how many more people would buy it? My guess would be a lot more. They may not get $10 from someone buying the whole cd, but I'm sure more people would buy it. Even though I and a lot of others already have the song, we would probably buy it just to support the best band in the world.

For a while now, I have been totally against all this exclusive stuff. It's a huge pain and I think it only leads to more illegal downloading. I say if you are going to do something exclusive, do it everywhere but for a limited time. Like... first few shippings only. That would promote sales for the first couple weeks the CD is out and would probably get them at a higher chart position which would probably get them more recognition... more radio plays... etc.

I don't see it as pirating from iTUNES because I'm sure record sales effect how the WB sees Eisley. If 'Combinations' tanks compared to WB expectations, Eisley is less likely to get support from Warner Bros. their next go round. It's the reason I don't pirate video games from developers I like. Even if the publisher makes a stupid decision I would hate to see a good developer suffer low sales as a result.

And I'm always against exclusive stuff. I can't see why a band would ever want to do that to their fans. I started listening to 'Jars of Clay' later than everyone else and completely missed the opportunity to hear the songs on the 'White Elephant Sessions' limited edition CD. What a slap in the face of fans not to make that available to everyone.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

olimario wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
First, welcome!

First, thanks!

I hope I didn't come across as rude with my post. I'm just a little upset that the song isn't in my rotation yet because I was stupid and bought their CD the first chance I got.

I would love to be proactive with this, but it's impossible without feedback from the band about WHY the situation is the way it is.

You're welcome!

Yeah, I didn't think you sounded that way. Just for the record. ha.

This is pretty standard practice. Just most bands don't have scrubs from the album that are as good as Marsh King's Daughter. And most bands don't have this many fans that want every last stinking song with a passion. Which is definitely a good thing, but creates situations like this. I think ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, I do see what you're saying.

'Combinations' was very hit or miss for me and I think 5 songs made it into my permanent rotation. That hurts because I prefer the sample of 'Marsh King's Daughter' to the other 5 songs on the CD.

That said, I do like that Eisley tried new things with their sophomore album. I love it when bands throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks. I think it really helps develop their sound and really helps them get a hold of what their fans like.

GO EISLEY!
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Eisley did not make that decision, and it wasn't their idea to evilly trick people into buying both.
(I did however, but I'm their mom)
Second, Eisley was not aware that the exclusive track would be only sold on iTunes before the cd release.

Some things just happen, and we all hope for the best.

Having said that, I too hope that MKD will be available solo in the near future, but I don't know who is in charge of that....maybe Boyd does.
LadyJaneGrey
Sea Post King

Perhaps it will be availible as an iTunes EP sometime in the near future with some other songs. (Like the Telescope Eyes EP kind of thing...)
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

LadyJaneGrey wrote:
Perhaps it will be availible as an iTunes EP sometime in the near future with some other songs. (Like the Telescope Eyes EP kind of thing...)

yesssssssssss that would be cool.
I'm not entirely desperate to hear it yet, I'm still enjoying the album.
Perhaps some future day, when it's available for less money, I'll get it.
Very Happy
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Thanks for the insight, Kimbrtones.
It is a little sad with how out of control bands are when it comes to their material. It seems like WB has complete control over the property.

Shocked
norad
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
Thanks for the insight, Kimbrtones.
It is a little sad with how out of control bands are when it comes to their material. It seems like WB has complete control over the property.
Shocked

Well, it is their (WB's) property. They own the rights to the music, no?
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Well obviously they own the rights to it. What I meant is how WB seems to disregard or not even seek the band's input. It should never be a surprise to a band how their released CD turns out.