Laughing City
reyb3
Sea Post King

the new site is coming along nicely, i've run into a kink when trying to comment in a journal entry, but i guess it's to be expected.
bamccaig
Sea Post King

Martin wrote:
The paging is good but if a user could set the number of posts per page, it would suit everyone and be awesome. Smile Although probably hell to implement. Sad .

Depending on the backend design for the site, it shouldn't be difficult to implement at all. Oh, please make sure one of the options is to disable paging all together. Wink

Sephiroth: I will... never be a memory!
---
Everything changes when you say it out loud.
Joined: 21 Aug 2007 | Posts: 23 | Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
bamccaig
Sea Post King

Martin wrote:
The paging is good but if a user could set the number of posts per page, it would suit everyone and be awesome. Smile Although probably hell to implement. Sad .

Depending on the backend design for the site, it shouldn't be difficult to implement at all. Oh, please make sure one of the options is to disable paging all together. Wink

---
Grandmaster Neil
Sea Post King

bamccaig wrote:
Martin wrote:

No, it wouldn't be difficult to implement. However paging isn't really for slow connections, it's meant to keep strain off of the SQL server. If a thread gets a ton of posts and a bunch of people try and access it at the same time, then it will be slow across the board- independent of connection speed. Also, news content and rest of the site would suffer as I'm sure they use the same SQL server.

Admiral79 wrote:

When you first get on the Eisley menu page, the titles across the top ie: Home, Trolleywood, Laughing City, Eisley, Gallery, etc. are all highlighted where you can't read them. If you click on any of them (except "Eisley") then it corrects its self.

That's because they used PNG files. PNGs are awesome but on some of the legacy browsers(IE 6 and below), they aren't properly alpha-blended without some sort of correction script. And on the even older browsers, they aren't able to be properly rendered.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade Very Happy
keltica
Golly, Poster

Big surprise. I like it. I guess the gallery could take more pictures though.

What about a flash introduction to the site? Something fancy to catch people's attention.

Another issue: can I use certain elements of this new layout for the fansite I'm building at www.eisley-italia.tk?

"Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"

Joined: 11 Jun 2007 | Posts: 791 | Location: Ariccia, Rome - Italy
bamccaig
Sea Post King

Grandmaster Neil wrote:
bamccaig wrote:
Martin wrote:

No, it wouldn't be difficult to implement. However paging isn't really for slow connections, it's meant to keep strain off of the SQL server. If a thread gets a ton of posts and a bunch of people try and access it at the same time, then it will be slow across the board- independent of connection speed. Also, news content and rest of the site would suffer as I'm sure they use the same SQL server.

Many or most users probably wouldn't reconfigure their profile anyway so the entire userbase wouldn't be requesting entire threads; only those that specifically request it. Depending on the average and maximum number of users on the site at any given moment the server should be able to handle it. For example, according to the index there are currently 38 users online, only 12 (+2 hidden) of which are registered meaning only 12 (or 14 Question)of which would even have the option of disabling paging. Very Happy

---
gRegor
the gEek

Admiral79 wrote:
When you first get on the Eisley menu page, the titles across the top ie: Home, Trolleywood, Laughing City, Eisley, Gallery, etc. are all highlighted where you can't read them. If you click on any of them (except "Eisley") then it corrects its self.

Using IE 6? The navigation images are PNG format with transparency, which IE doesn't natively support. There's a javascript that should fix this, but I have noticed for some reason it doesn't always work. All current browsers (including IE7) should render PNGs correctly, but I'm not saying you have to upgrade, heh. We will make a fix for this since IE6 is (sadly) still a widely used browser.

Thanks for all the other suggestions and feedback. Paging is not going to be disabled, sorry.

Is there a problem posting comments on the journals or news items (did anyone notice you can comment on news? Laughing) I kind of expected to see some comments there by now.

norad
Vintage Newbie

When the forum gets redone can our signature's pixel size get upped a little? Like, 500x150px instead of 500x120px?
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

No home page anymore, Crying or Very sad

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bamccaig
Sea Post King

gRegor wrote:
Paging is not going to be disabled, sorry.

That's the last time I give feedback. Wink Kidding. I'm sure I'm have more complaints as I frequent the forums more. Evil or Very Mad

---
gRegor
the gEek

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Now that's a silly suggestion. Laughing

Your browser must be on crack? It's there... what are you getting?

norad
Vintage Newbie

gRegor wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

The forum home page is not there. It just takes me to the forum page. Confused
gRegor
the gEek

Oh, that. Sorry. Yeah, it's unavailable for a bit.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
gRegor wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

The forum home page is not there. It just takes me to the forum page. Confused

yeah, that's what I meant.

I'm off smack for good.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
When the forum gets redone can our signature's pixel size get upped a little? Like, 500x150px instead of 500x120px?

Yeah. Personally, I'd like more than 15KB for the avatar... but, I'll take what I can get.