54%  [ 380 ]
Female
45%
 45%  [ 317 ]
Total Votes : 697

boyd
Eisleyoid

MARKET RESEARCH

1. Should Eisley's LP be in Walmart/K-Mart, and why?

2. In terms of age, who is Eisley's market? Support your opinion
best you can? (like, you know, 2 - 80 or whatever)

3. What would you guess the percentage of guys to girls to be? Give your
reasoning. (I guess I'm tipping the hat since you'll be able to see the %)

Interestingly, when WB polled me - ("you're out there in the scene...on
tours, so your opinion definitely counts...you probably have a better feel
than us at this moment), they thought there'd be way more girls... and
were thinking 16 - 24 bracket. I said, "I think you're generally ok with the
16-24...but I know there are tons of older fans... like Coldplay fans. And,
I'm almost positive I'm right about a 50/50 split - guys and girls..."

Anyway, I wonder if you could put on your thinking/awareness/best
guess hats. Weren't there several threads where you guys were
expressing your hope that Eisley's CD should be available in Walmart?
Can we find them?

All of this relates to which stores should WB put Eisley's records in and
how many sku's. The wider the age demographic and distribution of male
to female, etc. the more they have to manufacture, etc. It's pretty much
guess-work. Be conservative... honest... think about ways to make your
guesswork be as acurate as possible. Perhaps we can poll forum
members.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Last edited by boyd on Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

1. that doesn't affect me...as long as its on amazon.co.uk

2. judging from the forum.....15-30(ish)

3. about 50% each.

yeah......hmm....ok...then...bye.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

1. If it's not a big deal, yes. It's a wider audience (cities with no meaningful music supply sometimes can only get music in person at a Wal-Mart). Unless Wal-Mart would have it censored or altered, somehow. Then, no.

2. As far as I can tell, 12-40-something. With the strongest showing in the 14-30 range. That's the best response range from people I know who have checked it out.

3. It seems to be 50/50. Oddly enough. the chatrooms I've seen are male-dominated. However, in the forums and in person (like at concerts), females seem to equal out. Perhaps it's the social aspect of the Internet creating the chat male dominance. Perhaps women are given more fear of Inernet interaction ... Anyway, as far as I can tell, it's almost 50/50.

Hope that was worthy ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

1. sure. if eisley were some band with all sorts of demonic stuff that walmart made them edit out, then no. otherwise, i can't see why it would hurt. i mean, the band's on a major label, it's not like they have indie cred to worry about or anything like that

2. i would say it's mainly around 15-25 or so, which means i fall exatcly in the middle of the target audience. therefore i am the ideal eisley fan! you must cater to me!!! Twisted Evil

3. it seems to me about 50-50. heavy enough for the boys and sweet enough for the girls, as josh homme would say.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

yes! the way i see it, the more available it is, the better. the more likely people will be to buy it, if they can get it easily. if i can tell my friends that Eisley's LP is available at wal mart, that could very well make it a ton easier for them to go pick it up. i think it makes a band more accessible to everyone, and like the Antrider pointed out, in a lot of places (ahem, my town) wal mart is one of the only places where you can buy music at an affordable price.

best you can?
Eisley has potential to make anyone of any age love them. but i think the target group, the ones most likely to give it a listen would be people between the ages of 15-30. that seems to be when a lot of people are really into music, or at least more interested in it if it's not their passion. teenagers especially, because they often have jobs and they don't pay taxes or have families to take care of, so that equals extra money to spend on albums and concerts, and generally more time to look for music.

3. What would you guess the percentage of guys to girls to be? Give your reasoning.
I would say it's about 50/50. mostly because Eisley has artistic appeal, so it's not exclusively teen boys loving them because the girls are pretty. here at the forum it seems split pretty evenly.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

1. Hmmm, this doesn't really effect me. I always buy my CDs at Best Buy, and if not Best Buy than maybe FYE, Newburry Comics or Borders. But most often Best Buy. But if you guys think it will help sales, then I say go for it.

2. From forum observations... I would say all ages. I have seen posts with people saying, "My 10 year old sister loves Eisley!" Or, "My two year old daughter loves Eisley!" And we've also seen threads where people are saying, "Oh, I introduced my school mates/co-workers to Eisley and they loved it!" Also some parents have liked Eisley. Of course, right now they are on a somewhat underground scale, so the people spreading the word are the people in this particular music "scene", if you will. So those of us who like Eisley, most likily introduce Eisley to people we hang out with, who might have a similar music taste. So it's hard to tell, because if they got lots of radio play, it might change to a popular radio audience... which I would say to be around... 13-25ish.

3. Now on the forum, I think there might be a 50/50 type of thing going on. But again, this is just the forum, and most of us here like indieish styles of music. The rest of the world out there might not, and I think Eisley, in a popular radio kind of world, would appeal more to the female gender. I know that the majority of guys at my school would think Eisley is too low key, or they wouldn't want to admit they like it. I think the girls in my school would be more apt to liking it because it's not as "embarrassing" of a thing for them to listen to, with the fairyish sounding songs. But of course, the other day I played some Copeland for a girl, and she said it wasn't rocking enough and it was too mellow. So this is a hard question, also.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Andrew
Lost at Forum

Id say walmart since there everywhere. Maybe not k-mart I havent been in a k-mart in 10 years.

Eisleys market would be probably college to young adluts. Bacically because these people are more open minded twards music.

Id say more girls get the music, you know get where its coming from and such. But its fairly equal on the fan side.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zombie-Face
Sea Post King

1.) Unless the new album has saucy lyrics that Walmart feels the need to edit, I see no reason why it shouldn't be sold there. Since I dont think the band employs "dirty" language, it shouldnt be a problem. The only other reason would be a snobbish, "oh there selling out" anti-indy thing, which is stupid.

2.) seems like teenagers-twentysomethings. I'm sure more people would be open to it, but from I have seen it is mostly Show-going kids.

3.) I am a male, but my sister and her two friends got me into it. I dont know what that means

theufbproject.com
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

yes, so that the widest possible audience can have it available to them at a reasonable price. Eisley's CDs are obviously not explicit, so no one, i mean NO ONE, should be worried about buying said CD at Wal Mart. Plus Wal Mart is a "family establishment" and Eisley is well, a family, the two work together very well.

best you can? (like, you know, 2 - 80 or whatever)

I'd say 13-27, somewhere in that range. Given the age of the members that helps establish bonds between listener and band. It's new music and that is the age group that buys new music, so that helps.

3. What would you guess the ercentage of guys to girls to be? Give your
reasoning.

Tough one. On the one hand you've got 3 attractive girls standing in the front, and as we all well know there were tons of guys who listened to Britney Spears simply because she was hot (emphasis on the was). However i don't think that outweighs the common opinion against female singers and the fact that Eisley will get pigeonholed into the same categories as Ashlee Simpson and Britney. 70/30 split in favor of females. That's my best estimate. Don't accept it as fact, i've been known to be wrong from time to time....from time to time.

midnightmourning
Sea Post King

1. It can't hurt. I've heard of countless people getting their CDs there, whether for convenience or price I do not know.

2. I would assume around.. 15-30ish, just by using the different people on the forum. People in that age range tend to be willing to try a variety of music styles, so it's more likely for them to stumble upon Eisley and enjoy them, although from what I've seen almost any age can and does fall in love with their music.

3. I'd say.. closest to about 50/50, but yet again that's just from what I've seen on the forum. My reasoning tells me that it'd lean more towards the female gender, but you never know.

Livejournal. Xanga.
MySpace. Hah, I have no friends on it.
Joined: 17 Aug 2004 | Posts: 485 | Location: Oceanside, New York
Sara89
Golly, Poster

1. I haven't been to very many Walmarts and Kmart isn't even in Houston any more, but seriously, go ahead. First, it would better Walmart's cd selection, second, it would allow more opportunities for people to buy Eisley, third, I've been to towns were Walmart is the only place to actually get albums, so the smaller town fanbase wouldn't have to drive an hour to the nearest Best Buy to get their Eisley LP.

2. I know fans from early teenage girls to my own parents. I've always thought that Eisley would have a very broad range of fans age-wise considering they lack the abrasiveness that turns off a lot of listeners, but they still retain the emotional and musical maturity incredibly.

3. Really, I'm not sure about this one. I'm female myself, but what first got me interested in Eisley was the fact they opened for Coldplay and their was a female singer the same age as me, which I thought was very very cool. I can imagine fans from both sides, but I'm not sure about what aspects overweigh the others.

todd!
Sea Post King

1. i'll go with yes, because the more people who have access to eisley the better. i know from telling people about the eps lots of them were like "i cant find it anyplace" - and like somebody said above - if a town has a lack of good musical outlets, odds are theres at least a walmart nearby. plus, walmart is family friendly and so is the band.

2. i definitely think eisley is one of those rare all-ages bands. everybody whos heard my eps has loved them, from little kids to their parents. it seems the core audience would be 13-30 as that appears to be the age of folks attending shows, and theyd be the first to expose other to the songs. the cool big brothers and sisters of the world will be sharing eisley with their siblings fer sure. the cool ones. the uncool ones will lock their siblings in the bathroom or something uncool like that.

3. id think somewhere about 60-40 in favor of the ladies. its close to equal though, hard to say.

www.myspace.com/seamonstersongs
sing songs and song sings!
Joined: 15 Nov 2003 | Posts: 105 | Location: virginia beach, virginia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MarchesxManeuvers
Sea Post King

1. I have never heard of anyone I know buying CDs at Wallmart (maybe becuse i;m form a big city), but I think It would be a good idea to sell them at wllamart becuase it is very accesable. but then again, so is borders(?)

2. Probably the core age group is 13-30, because most people in that age are more open minded and not stuck with liking one specific thing. But I think that everyone could really like them...my parents do...

3. At first I thought Eisley's fans would be mostly female, judging from the sound and that the lead singer is a girl. But now I see so many boy eisley fans, and both girls and boys I've played it for like it. So I'd have to say about 50/50 (thats hard)

dot.Syntax (fun);
Joined: 20 Jun 2004 | Posts: 426 | Location: Chicago/Minneapolis
boyd
Eisleyoid

Thanks so much.

Keep it up. and, i have the polls going now, so make sure you put an X
by your age in one of two posts. And, we'll get a better feel for this next
week; We don't get too much traffic on weekends. Interesting, from the
first page of posts, and out of the first 33 responses, the guys are ahead
57% to 42%.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Silver Star Rain
Lost at Forum

1. Walmart targets a lot of people. Therefore, I am sure it would get Eisley sales. Besides, I love Big Blue, even if I get my cds at a local vender.

2. I'd say early teen to mid thirties.

3. Hmm...even..maybe a few more gents than ladies.

And it's so sad to see the world agree
That they'd rather see their faces fill with flies
All when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes.

Joined: 01 Sep 2003 | Posts: 1061 | Location: The Stoned Mountain