46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
No effect upon society at all
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 26

starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

The question is does the use of obscene language further society in the way of communication or does it deteriorate society, or does the use of obscene language does not effect the society you live in at all

Explain why you chose what you chose and a side question what is the effect of hearing people use obscene language upon you.

Your input would be much appreciated.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

It's funny my drama professor went on a tirade about the effects of tv and film in our society (leaving theater mysteriously absent). She said that loud music causes anti-social behavior and violent images have all these negative effects on people.

Any way she said that Plato said that theater would tear down society, while Aristole said that they are a reflection of reality. In regards to what my professor said and your question, I agree with Aristole. And to the heart of your question I say that words in general are hollow abstractions that are given meaning within certain contexts. So I say there is no effect alone. When you use a swear word A LOT the impact of the word is blunted. For example the expression "OH MY GOD!" was taboo, but now few people bat an eyelash when it is uttered by children. And my favorite word in this debate has to be "S-H-I-T". It means the same thing as poo, boo boo, doodie, dookie, crap, et cetera, but in our society it is WRONG!!!! That isn't to say that there isn't obscene langauge. Like the word '@#$!%&'. For me, I'm not offended my the word itself, but I hate when people use it simply for shock value. I'd much rather have it used as an expression of hate. I wouldn't say that any type of langauge alone has the power to further society either. If you said "I LOVE YOU!" To every person you saw eventually the shock of having someone say "I LOVE YOU!" would just be another greeting phrase and would loose most of it's original meaning.

I'm rambling. But the bottom line is that I don't think words alone have an effect on society unless an issue is made of them.

EDIT: Penn and Teller's show (vocabulary mishap)! does and episode on "Profanity". Can you guess what which side of the argument they're on. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

thank you for the one reply and the votes keep them coming.

i dont usually bump threads but this is kind of important.

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I don't believe in obscene language; only obscene intentions.
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

well, i put it deteriorates society, but I'm not sure how. I only know that it doesn't add to society, and I don't really think anything that big brings absolutely no change in society, so....that was the only other choice.

God Bless

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

jack_stripes wrote:
well, i put it deteriorates society, but I'm not sure how. I only know that it doesn't add to society, and I don't really think anything that big brings absolutely no change in society, so....that was the only other choice.

God Bless

The question is "Does change have to be good or bad?"

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

certain obscenities have permeated the normal, everyday language of many Americans to the detriment of society. Though I guess the F word can be used interchangeably with intercourse, it is usually used as a slur or put down of some sort. Why so much cursing in rap music? It's a form of proving street cred or something I would say, and the street mentality and violence go hand in hand. Not sure I explained that well enough for a professor, but that may or may not help you. Just my humble opinion. And yes, I use curse words some, and I wish I would catch myself before I do as I know that I only use them in anger and they don't show my best side.
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:

God Bless

what?

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Obscene language is much too disjointed and relative to be taken seriously. It's all about the intent behind the language.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think it can have a corrosive effect on language, but the same goes for netspeak, textspeak and slang. You could argue that the No Child Left Behind act has an equally detrimental effect on language.

Intention is the main culprit behind the power of foul language. I'm not sure if that's entirely the only detriment, though. Things can be given power and the power can be abused. But it still might be the intentions that cause the harm.

My head hurts now. Too tired.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

jack_stripes wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:

God Bless

what?

If you change from drinking coke to pepsi is it bad?

After think about this question even more than I did before, I think it's pretty weasely to make the discussion about 'obscene langauge', because it automatically is going divide people among those who use it on a regular basis, those that don't care, and those who don't for moral reasons. Thus, people are going to be biased.

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Well, I personally try not to use obscene language. Does it deteriorate society? No. It might bug the crap out of some old people, but for the most part, it's just words. Derogatory terms? Very hurtful and inconsiderate and disrespectful and foul...etc. But, doesn't really go further than that.

It certainly doesn't further society. We have more words than we need. If we could just cut some out, that would be better.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:

I really like how you put that, and I 100% agree.

One thing that does have a negative effect on our language is a lack of vocabulary, obscene or not. There's too many kids running around speaking like the only negative adjective in their vocabulary is "gay." That's gay, that kid's gay, this class is gay, etc. It's not the fact that their using the term in a negative manner, it's that gay is the only word they use. Sometimes I just want to say to them, "Really, does your math class like to have sexual relations with other math classes of the same gender?"
Kinnie
Sea Post King

I think swear words can add to the richness of our language when they are used appropiately and sparely. "Crap" and "$#@!" should technically mean the same thing, and yet they evoke a very different image or thought in my mind. "Make love" and "F" are also two very different words. You can't replace one with the other. However, when people use swear words too frequently, it becomes a "catch-all" and diminishes the diversity of lanuage and perhaps cheapens the emotional impact of those words.

In any case, they are just words. I don't think any word in itself can harm society. To me, a lack of language or ability to use language can harm society. I see language as a positive good... and more is preferable to less!

Good luck with your psychology project; it sounds like an interesting one!
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

i don't think it does either. it seems to me that language is constantly evolving. the current popularity of obscenities is just a phase that the populace is going through. who knows, maybe in 20 years there will be new obscene words. to me, it's evolution of language, not the deterioration of civilization. civilization seems to large to be greatly affected by some words that the majority populace deems "objectionable."

(this may not make sense to me later, i am very sleep deprived.)