Laughing City
boyd
Eisleyoid

yeah. me too. dangit. I say, we just keep on supporting great music... go to shows, buy merch... support the local scene... we take over by staying down in the trenches... and eisley will do whatever they can in their little slot. arm in arm we face the super powers.

bd

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
xshiningstar008
Sea Post King

boyd wrote:

And how do we take over radio?

I think the problem still lies in the fact that regardless of what you put on the radio, there is always going to be some big label offering a band tons of money to doctor their music to sound.... mainstream. everyone in the corporate world is just trying to sell sell sell. and the more people that like "indie" bands, the more they will try to capitalize on it. look at stores like Hot Topic. They are making millions by selling the so-called "underground" stuff. it's not underground anymore. Not when they are advertising it to the masses.
it's just a neverending battle, folks. i think some of us will just never be happy with the music industry.

Riana
boyd
Eisleyoid

yup.

gulp. if eisley ends up in hot topic, or some place like that, it'll be because some company petitioned WB to interview eisley in conjunction with airing video on many platforms... i honestly don't know where their new video could end up.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i think radio of the early-mid 90's was really great........it's insane to imagine bands like Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, REM etc having any hits today.......but if you listened to radio back then, it wouldn't be surprising to hear 4 songs in a row from those artists......remember, even a staion like 107.3 would play grunge.

i can't figure out why it did so well then............i guess the whole "boy band" thing changed that..........i was wondering the other day why all the boy bands stopped at the same time.........if one of them was smart, they could be the only one now

the hollow days
Golly, Poster

hot topic.... if i am forced!! to go in there i hold my breath for fear i might catch of evil vile virus and make me stupid

four things happened i believed that changed radio music from good to crappy.

kurt died

weezer disappeared

billy corgan became happy

the adventure of pete and pete went off the air

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Good was a fad, unfortunately.

But good will be a fad again. And when that happens, all that is good will be labeled a sellout. And the good will hate being a fad, and they will go away to kill the monster they have made.

Oh yeah, Weezer went away because everyone freaked out at their masterpiece and no one bought it. But now people love it and won't let it go, and it's killing the good that is there now.

I wish my favorite bands could be millionaires and have the respect of the masses, but I have found that it is an empty promise that destroys the good.

Or something.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AGame0564
Golly, Poster

the hollow days wrote:

ahh... why'd you remind me!?

Most, if not all, of my friends are mainstream and I'm kind of the odd man out. I can never find the words to explain to them why i dislike listening to the radio but this thread has shown me the way. I'd post my opinion but it's already been said. I agree with every single person who has posted and am fully impressed by your words. You're all very intelligent people. Well done.

Best
Anthony

Does it really matter whether I put the toilet seat down or not?
Joined: 12 Nov 2003 | Posts: 851 | Location: L.A. but Chicago will always be my home
waj
Sea Post King

Long Live KTCU!

that's the only shred of radio that's worth listening to.
the hollow days
Golly, Poster

AGame0564 wrote:
the hollow days wrote:

ahh... why'd you remind me!?

Best
Anthony

why is that a bad thing that was one of the best shows ever!!!

and salute your shorts.... the guitarist/ singer from rilo kiley is in that and hes also in boy meets world

AGame0564
Golly, Poster

I was ahh'ing at the fact that it went off the air. I love Pete and Pete. You ever see when Endless Mike wrestled big Pete? HAHAHA Salute Your Shorts rocked too. Pinsky was better than Michael. Someone needs to put both those shows on DVD. Unless they did already and i'm just completely unaware of it.

Does it really matter whether I put the toilet seat down or not?
Joined: 12 Nov 2003 | Posts: 851 | Location: L.A. but Chicago will always be my home
cam8833
Sea Post King

I dont know about all of you...but i'm waitin for that new Boyz 2 Men song to get played. 4 real.
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

I don't like most radio stations but there are a few stations here in Sydney which are really indie and do a lot to help out unsigned bands or bands that commercial stations wouldn't touch with a barge pole..Every now and again I'll change my radio station in my car to a commercial one for a day,because once in a while I like a change even if it is boring repetitive crap like they play on commercial stations.It also reminds me of why I like indie artists and makes me appreciate them more.

At the end of the day we all know what pop rubbish they are gonna play on these stations so just set your dial to a station that plays what you like or pop in a cd

simple really

Sea Post King

boyd wrote:
Every stop and wonder what's wrong with us? I mean...we're sure we're
right. But we're totally in the minority...well, apparently we are. Those
radio artists are selling millions; someone is buying more of their art than
of Deathcab or Pedro or Broken Social Scene or Modest Mouse or The
Flaming Lips or Ed Harcourt or Portishead or Rilo Kiley or Ester Drang or
Midlake or The Shinns or Nuetral Milk Hotel or Fire Theft or Muse or Ben
Folds or Eisley...or... fill in the blank. I know they're not all indie. I
wouldn't mind hearing the Foo-Fighters, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, The Cure,
The Beatles, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Rufus Waynewright, Jeremy
Enigk...and Eisley...and plenty of Midlake... overdose on Midlake. But all I
get in my town is top 40 crappy crap crap.

I don't think it's specific to us. I think what happened is that a few established companies in the biz (the Big Five Lables or other conspiratorial name goes here) each made a decision to maximize profit - they are in business and have a legal obligation to the shareholders. The most obvious way to make money, at least to me (and by extension seemingly to the MBAs who also know as little about music as I), is to market an easily generated product to the lowest common denominator. Hence, alternarockpopcrap.

I predict that as dissatisfaction with mass-produced dreck marketed towards mindless consumers grows, indie and indie-oriented/style/like music will make a comeback. Again, simple math - the lowest common denominator will no longer be such an overwhelming majority that marketing exclusively to it to maximize profits is an immediately obvious decision. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the scene, background, or business to even attempt a prediction at how long this will take, but it seems to me that the level of continued strength of the resurgence of local interests will play a significant part in determining this interval.

theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

I only tune in to my local college station if I even listen to radio at all. I actually think Eisley would do great on college radio, most "indie" bands gain notariety on indie radio and by being on the CMJ chart. Flaming Lips, Radiohead & Rilo Kiley have all had top 10 records on the CMJ this year.
the hollow days
Golly, Poster

AGame0564 wrote:
I was ahh'ing at the fact that it went off the air. I love Pete and Pete. You ever see when Endless Mike wrestled big Pete? HAHAHA Salute Your Shorts rocked too. Pinsky was better than Michael. Someone needs to put both those shows on DVD. Unless they did already and i'm just completely unaware of it.

you can get the bootlegs on ebay