Laughing City
keithabbott
Sea Post King

So anyone else coming? The venue isn't the greatest acoustically, but parking is very close by.

I'm contemplating since it's close to halloween to come dressed in my Eisleyesque attire...

greensuburbs
Sea Post King

Your Mos Eilsey attire. Nice.
Sea Post King

thats an excellent storm trooper costume. top notch really

creation is salvation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PlentyOfCaskets
Sea Post King

i will be there...and you better believe I will be there 30 hrs early to be front and center
ButtonedDown
Sea Post King

haha, nice!
and i'll be theree
so excited Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Thanks. I was beginning to think I might be the only one here going to the Baltimore gig. I'm pretty excited about it.

greensuburbs wrote:
Your Mos Eilsey attire. Nice.

nerdcorex0 wrote:
thats an excellent storm trooper costume. top notch really

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

I will be there! Very Happy

I kinda wish that they would be playing in the smaller room (can't remember what that part of the venue is called) but I guess that wouldn't make sense.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I hope it doesn't rain. They're calling for possible showers on Friday. blech.
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

keithabbott wrote:
I hope it doesn't rain. They're calling for possible showers on Friday. blech.

I know! I was planning on going down really early and just spending the whole day by the Harbor and stuff. But maybe if it rains people will show up late giving us more room inside the venue... Twisted Evil

..doubt it, haha.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

Would any of you folk going be willing to do me a rather huge favor and pick me up a hoodie? Very Happy
Sea Post King

That reminds me, I need to pick up some cash tomorrow. AGH!
kate_c
Sea Post King

I went and had a great time! I was so excited to hear them play over the mountains and treetops again. Plus their new stuff is amazing. Great show.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Had a good time in Baltimore tonight. Long story short though (and I'll post more later about the show), the sound was muddy simply because it's not the best of venues for music, but Eisley played well. Boyd was awesome as always, and the band was gracious.

I didn't wear the stormtrooper armor..it was too hot and humid and I didn't get the vibe that it would go over all that well. But anyway, here's a link to the photos I took (I hate not having a SLR...no flash makes it difficult to get nice sharp images on my Canon S2 IS):

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/keithabbott/Eisley%202007/

And here are some of my favorites of the bunch so far...

WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

keithabbott wrote:
So anyone else coming? The venue isn't the greatest acoustically, but parking is very close by.

I'm contemplating since it's close to halloween to come dressed in my Eisleyesque attire...

ditto!

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
keithabbott
Sea Post King

As I promised, here's more regarding the show...

My wife and I drove in from Northern Virginia and arrived around 5pm. We saw the band unloading, so it appeared that they may have arrived late. I don't know if they actually had a sound check or not because my wife and I walked down to the harbour to have dinner at Uno's. I did see Weston walking around outside, but we made a b-line to the restaurant since we were pretty hungry.

After dinner, I contemplated putting on my stormtrooper armor that I had brought with me but at that point the line was pretty short. It didn't seem to me that the show was going to be well attended at that point because a few weeks earlier we had come to see Hanson perform at the Sonar. By the way, I'm not exactly a Hanson fan but my wife loves their music so you can probably figure out the rest. Anyway, more on Hanson later...

So I wasn't getting the vibe, and the weather wasn't exactly cooperating either. It was pretty warm and humid which would have made the experience of suiting up all the more uncomfortable. But as I was trying to say, the line for Hanson had wrapped around the building much earlier in the day than it did last evening. I was surprised that there weren't more people there for the show, but as it got closer to 7pm more people started to arrive. Doors didn't open at 7pm though, they opened 30 minutes late (which leads me to believe even more that Eisley may not have gotten a soundcheck since it appeared they were late). By that point, once we got inside and by the time all the fans arrived the place was very crowded. It looked even more crowded than the Hanson show. I was feeling the vibe then and was second guessing my earlier decision not to suit up.

So we waited awhile up front on Chauntelle's side. I had forgotten my earplugs so I did the next best thing besides buying them and rolled up a piece of nakpkin for each ear. And it worked like a charm...no ringing this morning. But my major complaint about this venue is it's too loud. The sound is muddy and it's just not very good acoustically. But I didn't want to pass up a good opportunity to see Eisley (my afterthought was that I probably should have gone to Charlottesville instead). They performed well, but it's obvious they were a bit cramped on stage, not that that really held them back too much. But overall, I was more impressed with the 9:30 club as a venue. Hopefully, they'll be able to play there next time.

I was able to talk to Boyd for a little bit after the show, and he agreed with the muddy sound. He was just as nice and approachable as I rememered him from last year. He's just such a genuinely nice guy to talk to.

My wife and I then went to stand in line to meet the band. As we got closer (and there were what seemed to be a ton of people squeezed together trying to meet them), I was beginning to get a bit nervous. I had in my mind an idea of what I wanted to say, and how I wanted to say it but as we got closer it became apparant that I was going to fail to live up to the expectations I had envisioned before getting up there.

All I wanted to say to the band was this, "You guys are amazing. You're such talented musicians. Chauntelle, I hope you sing more often in the future. Stacy, I love your drawings. And I think your father is a such a talented photographer and editor." And I also wanted my wife to get an answer to a question she had about Fool's Banquet.

When we got to the front of the line, we waited. And waited...and waited. It seemed to be several minutes and not one of the band members even gave us eye contact.Not even a simple, "hello...how are you? Can I sign something for you?" Nothing. I was beginning to think they were in a hurry to leave, or they were pre-occupied with their thoughts, or perhaps they were tired...or maybe just tired of being mauled by overzealous fans. I don't know, but I got the feeling that whatever I wanted to say, I better say it quick.

So I got Chauntelle's attention (since she was the one working with Zac Hanson) and told her my wife had a question for her. Ann asked her about what it was like working with Hanson, and what the experience was like. Chauntelle and Sherri were nice enough to at least attempt to answer the questions with answers such as "they were really nice. And it was nice." But that's pretty much the extent of it. I felt like cattle in a way. They were signing autographs and taking photos but it didn't appear they wanted to talk to their fans, or didn't have time to talk or something like that..so I didn't get to tell them what I wanted. I didn't get to tell them how much I think they are amazing. Instead, I was left feeling dissapointed and somewhat confused. I've talked with a lot of bands in my day, and a lot of celebrities who've been kind enough to take the time to talk to me. But I was left with the impression that they were guarded inside. That they don't open up to fans as much as many artists I've met over my lifetime.

I've heard so many nice stories here on Laughing City that I know this is probably just a fluke, but I left the table feeling pretty let down. So I regrouped myself and went back to Boyd. I didn't tell him what happened at the table, but I did tell him how I felt about his children's music...how amazing they are and how impressed I am with him as a photographer. He thanked me, and chatted with me for a few minutes as Mute Math began playing. It's safe to say that Boyd raised some amazing kids. And I can only conclude what had happened, or for that matter what didn't happen at the table, as being some big fluke. Was I too nervous? Was I not assertive enough? Were they just not in a good mood? I just don't know. But I moved my 4 legs back into line with the rest of the cattle and settled for a photo. They smiled (well, except Garon who was obviously distracted by something or another), and I smiled and that was that.

Hey, and I got some decent photos and I did get to meet them (which didn't happen in DC). In life, we should all be appreciative of what we are given. They were very gracious hosts. And I'm indeed thankful that I got to see them perform again. Maybe next time, there will be a better opportunity to speak to them.