Laughing City
bright young thing
Sea Post King

article.
The writer states he hates Eisley so much that he loves them...
interesting read.
http://www.thesop.org/index.php?id=8042

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

"Although I will say this of Eisley: definitely do not need more cowbell. But so versatile and innovative are they that I wouldn’t be surprised if that instrument was added to their repertoire on the inevitable third album… and make it rawk!" == I laughed. Smile
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

i was starting to yawn in the first part, because that sort of thing was so common with early reviews of Eisley, but I did chuckle at the second part.

"I can write and rave about Eisley until the world ends… but you still wouldn’t really understand. Like The Matrix, no one can be told what it is… you have to see it for yourself. In this case, hear it."

Might use that analogy myself (for other things)

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
keltica
Golly, Poster

Interesting.
But I believe one must set a foot in many spheres of music to fully grasp the universal power of inspiration and musical harmony.

"Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"

Joined: 11 Jun 2007 | Posts: 791 | Location: Ariccia, Rome - Italy
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Well, that was an objective review...

or not.
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
i was starting to yawn in the first part, because that sort of thing was so common with early reviews of Eisley, but I did chuckle at the second part.

"I can write and rave about Eisley until the world ends… but you still wouldn’t really understand. Like The Matrix, no one can be told what it is… you have to see it for yourself. In this case, hear it."

I get how he feels. I never know how to explain Eisley's music without resorting to flowery language that doesn't do it justice. I'm pretty much reduced to saying Eisley good.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

That website is awful. That badly compressed .jpg of the band is awful. That guy's writing is awful. He seriously gives student publications a bad name, and that's saying something. I will now dissect it mercilessly.

Unaware of the intended purpose of music reviews, Mr. Stubblefield wrote:
Why focus on a particular album or concert or tour, when we can immerse ourselves in the whole Eisley phenomenon? To limit ourselves to only one facet would omit too much.

Well, because you're supposed be reviewing Combinations, not giving us a summary of Eisley's members and jabbering on like a complete moron about things that everyone else in the industry has already written about (far more competently, to boot).

Someone I would never ever hire if I worked at a newspaper wrote:
Maybe the magicalness or magicality or magicity of this band has something to do with the law of fives?

Dude, PICK ONE. We don't need to see the process of composition happen in the actual article. This is supposed to be a finished product, not word-vomit. Same goes for this:

Desperate to meet his minimum word count, this hack wrote:
Poetics aren’t enough… aren‘t good enough, aren‘t sufficient enough.

It's enough to say "enough". You don't have to quantify it, especially not by using a phrase like "sufficient enough," which is redundant.

Christopher Walken wrote:
Although I will say this of Eisley: definitely do not need more cowbell.

Because when you have absolutely nothing meaningful to say about the band's music, you should refer to a tired music joke that's not even really a joke, in addition to being seven years old. Why don't you just say that Eisley really "crank it up to eleven"? That'll impress your readers with your hipness and up-to-date dry humor.

Please kill me now wrote:
More probable, their unique vision, vitality and vibrance derives from an intrinsic and ineffable essence manifested in the Combinations of personalities, family and talents to create beautiful Room Noises.

Oh my God. Oh my God, I just can not express how disgusted I am by that sentence. Oh God.

And the best part:

Captain Contradiction wrote:
Reviews of Eisley tend to use flowery and evocative language… but I know better.

Actually, you clearly don't.

I'm all for loving Eisley. I'm all for shouting that love from the rooftops. But this kind of meaningless fluff is just wasting everyone's time. It's really sad that even when Eisley get a truly positive review, the writing is crap. Maybe someday, someone with an ounce of talent will attempt to give an Eisley album the objective, balanced critique it deserves.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
That website is awful. That badly compressed .jpg of the band is awful. That guy's writing is awful. He seriously gives student publications a bad name, and that's saying something. I will now dissect it mercilessly.

Unaware of the intended purpose of music reviews, Mr. Stubblefield wrote:
Why focus on a particular album or concert or tour, when we can immerse ourselves in the whole Eisley phenomenon? To limit ourselves to only one facet would omit too much.

Well, because you're supposed be reviewing Combinations, not giving us a summary of Eisley's members and jabbering on like a complete moron about things that everyone else in the industry has already written about (far more competently, to boot).

Someone I would never ever hire if I worked at a newspaper wrote:
Maybe the magicalness or magicality or magicity of this band has something to do with the law of fives?

Dude, PICK ONE. We don't need to see the process of composition happen in the actual article. This is supposed to be a finished product, not word-vomit. Same goes for this:

Desperate to meet his minimum word count, this hack wrote:
Poetics aren’t enough… aren‘t good enough, aren‘t sufficient enough.

It's enough to say "enough". You don't have to quantify it, especially not by using a phrase like "sufficient enough," which is redundant.

Christopher Walken wrote:
Although I will say this of Eisley: definitely do not need more cowbell.

Because when you have absolutely nothing meaningful to say about the band's music, you should refer to a tired music joke that's not even really a joke, in addition to being seven years old. Why don't you just say that Eisley really "crank it up to eleven"? That'll impress your readers with your hipness and up-to-date dry humor.

Please kill me now wrote:
More probable, their unique vision, vitality and vibrance derives from an intrinsic and ineffable essence manifested in the Combinations of personalities, family and talents to create beautiful Room Noises.

Oh my God. Oh my God, I just can not express how disgusted I am by that sentence. Oh God.

And the best part:

Captain Contradiction wrote:
Reviews of Eisley tend to use flowery and evocative language… but I know better.

Actually, you clearly don't.

I'm all for loving Eisley. I'm all for shouting that love from the rooftops. But this kind of meaningless fluff is just wasting everyone's time. It's really sad that even when Eisley get a truly positive review, the writing is crap. Maybe someday, someone with an ounce of talent will attempt to give an Eisley album the objective, balanced critique it deserves.

Mr. Stubblefield can be reached at exastra@hotmail.com and would love your comments or questions... Laughing
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Mr. Stubblefield can be reached at exastra@hotmail.com and would love your comments or questions... Laughing

That's okay, I'd rather insult his skills (or lack thereof) from behind a veil of forum-based anonymity! Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SingingTree1994
Lost at Forum

omg, i met her. after that, she sent me this

~Le@h!

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Creepiest. Picture. Ever.

I'm sure she's a sweet girl, but right there she looks like she's about to shoot lasers out of her eyes. Or possibly tell a police officer that you killed a guy and buried him in the back yard.

Smokemonster
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

you just made me think of something: they should cast Dakota Fanning in The Bad Seed remake! 'course, she's a bit too old (isn't the girl supposed to be, like, 8?), and it's being directed by Eli Roth so it's going to suck no matter what they do, but, still… it'd be awesome…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

SingingTree1994 wrote:
omg, i met her. after that, she sent me this

~Le@h!

Awwwwww.

keltica
Golly, Poster

Ooh I found her adorable in Charlotte's Web to the extent that I did buy the dvd.
But I prefer Anna-Sophia Robb she looks like a pixie hehe Very Happy

"Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"

Joined: 11 Jun 2007 | Posts: 791 | Location: Ariccia, Rome - Italy
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

yeah. annasophia<<<<dakota.