Laughing City

if you so poor you had to steal food to survive, would you?
yes
48%
 48%  [ 32 ]
no
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
maybe so
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 66

Lantz
Vintage Newbie

i find myself having to steal from the 7/11 all the time, i'm just wondering if anyone else would do it. (i have no real conscience by the way.)

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Yes.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I'd become a hunter-gatherer.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I would probably try to eat off of nature, but yes. I think I'd probably steal. But only what I needed, and only as a desperate last resort.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

i think it's funny that no one voted "no" yet. granted, only 7 people have voted total, but i'm still amused.

apparently you're not alone in having no conscience.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
johnip
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
i think it's funny that no one voted "no" yet. granted, only 7 people have voted total, but i'm still amused.

I'm sure just about everyone would rather steal some food than die of starvation. Wink

Protocol Droid

nevernever wrote:

Ha. It would depend on what I'm stealing from, too. This is all in theory, too. I'd have to actually test myself to see what I'd do, I think. Would you?

The more I think about this, the more I'm torn.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

I was faced with that choice back when i lived in Jacksonville's River Side part of town.
I didn't then and unless i had children to feed i wouldn't now.
I'd rather kill my self then let my family live with the disgrace.

kulvir
Laughing Citizen

Stealing is a definite wrong but if you really, truly, have exhausted all your options, stealing food is forgivable. Unless you deprive someone else of their food. Life is messy sometimes.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

johnip wrote:
nevernever wrote:

I'm sure just about everyone would rather steal some food than die of starvation. Wink
Exactly. You can believe what you want, but I'm willing to bet that 99.99999999999 percent of humanity would do what it takes to survive, even if it means bending and breaking the rules. It's human instinct. Evil, rotten, dirty, human instinct!
Tempest
Sea Post King

I voted no.

What's so difficult about "asking for help?"

There are plenty of shelters, plenty of resources and opportunities for people in poverty-stricken times of life, and plenty of kind-hearted people out there. I'm one of them.

If someone seriously was at that low of a rock bottom in their finances, then I'm more than willing to help out, even if I don't know you, and I'm not even that wealthy myself.

Real generosity is not giving you what you need more than me, it's giving you what I need more than you do. Combined with the concept that what goes around comes around, stealing seems like the worst thing to do.

|| sean ||

"If ever you come near I'll hold up high a mirror
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You." --Mewithoutyou
Joined: 02 Aug 2007 | Posts: 76 | Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I don't think I could just because I'd be too afraid of being caught. My friend once got caught stealing while I was with her and it was scareyyyyyyy.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

my solution to all of these "life or death 'conundrums'" ("steal, or die?", "kill, or die?", etc), is simple: "death" isn't really a choice at all! now, i could imagine some "life or death" situations where i would choose death (basically any situation where i simply couldn't live with myself if i did it!) — but, stealing food? as long as it really was my only option, and it was only the bare essential necessary for survival, and it was from somebody who had more than enough already (like, say, a big-name chain-store super-market), etc, then, well, of course i'd do it! who wouldn't?

but, here's a bigger question: is it ever really your only option? no! there are people with nothing left in the world at all who don't feel the need to steal food — they do what they can with the things people give away, or throw away, and that's what i'd do myself!

i can't imagine anyone with a computer and the internet ever "having" to steal anything! i'd give up both long before i started stealing food!
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
johnip wrote:
nevernever wrote:

Exactly. You can believe what you want, but I'm willing to bet that 99.99999999999 percent of humanity would do what it takes to survive, even if it means bending and breaking the rules. It's human instinct. Evil, rotten, dirty, human instinct!

I'm Japanese and i'm not sure all Asian Cultures are like this but with my family shame is a worse option than death.my relatives would hate me.

mister_mime
Golly, Poster

I would like to say no.
but, truth is, I really can't know what I would do unless it happened.
I stole a cheap (like fifty cents or something) plastic ring when I was five and still feel awful about it. so I don't know if my conscience would let me steal food. buuuut, if it was my only chance for survival I guess I would steal.
I would probably be more likely to resort to begging. and most likely to show up at my parents' doorstep saying, "mom, can I have a cookie?"

goto page
 | next >>