Laughing City

if you so poor you had to steal food to survive, would you?
yes
48%
 48%  [ 32 ]
no
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
maybe so
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 66

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:
Lantz wrote:
I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

and i live in downtown dallas and you don't know what you're talking about. methinks you post from a comfortable living room at your mom's.

Lantz wrote:
and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless

this is from your bio on JPG magazine
"I am currently a Photography major at Columbia College Chicago. " doesn't sound that homeless to me

dun dun dun...

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
Tempest
Sea Post King

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
I'd rather die with dignity than live with prideful guilt.

Stealing food to live if you're starving strips you of your dignity? According to whom?

The way I see it, food and water are basic human rights. Unfortunately, they are ones that a lot of the people in this word are being denied, for various reasons, many of them stemming from the folks at the "top".

Yes, it does. According to me...because...

...it's my opinion.

I used to blame "the man" and "establishment" a lot too, then I realized that despair lurks everywhere. Yes, lot of the things that make you at the "top" are temptations that help cause a lot of inhumane actions and situations, but much like the rich have a top of the mountain, so do the poor.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

yea, but what if you're not guilty for stealing? and you still had your pride.

If you break it down to the most basic form, by taking from someone else, you are contributing to the very thing that leaves you starving and thirsty in the first place. It's easy to take, but what about giving?

Like I said before, generosity is not giving you what you need more, it's giving you what I need more than you do.

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: [edited]. If I have it to give, I will.

I'd rather make sacrifices than you make wrong choices.

|| sean ||

i steal for other people too when they're hungry. i give my extra food and leftover cigarettes (which i bum off other people) to the homeless that want them. i don't need your pity, i do alright by myself. this wasn't a question about my morality, just other people's. I'm Atheist, so the commandments mean nothing to me, which doesn't mean i'm evil and i like to kill and cheat. i live life to the fullest, as best i can. And i don't steal anything other than food from major chains.

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know. Cheese and Wine isn't going to get me full, and as for going to shelters and churches and sh*t? theres so many freaking homeless that are already there that i'd be lucky if i got in the door. I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

You're mistaken, I don't pity you. In the sense of humanity, I love you and simply wanted to remind you that some people in life do care about others. I know it wasn't a question about your morality, but YOU specifically asked me a question, and I gave you my answer, so don't dare complain or return with an attitude for your own actions. Not once have I given you a verbal spanking or morality lesson, so don't get defensive with me, cause I'm not out to argue or put you in your place.

As for athiesm, I don't believe in athiests. By science, athiesm can't exist. I also used to be agnostic, as well as considering a myriad of other beliefs. I'm confused as to where you're getting at where I've thrown the bible at you? I never mentioned any commandments or biblical law. Everything I said in my post is from basic humanity and compassion that this world needs more of.

You said it best, "don't assume what you don't know." You're doing a lot of assuming.

Regardless of your beliefs, you'll be prayed for.

|| sean ||

"If ever you come near I'll hold up high a mirror
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You." --Mewithoutyou
Joined: 02 Aug 2007 | Posts: 76 | Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know.

http://www.monster.com

Get a job. Quit burdening other people to benefit yourself.

golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

JBaker wrote:
Lantz wrote:

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know.

http://www.monster.com

Get a job. Quit burdening other people to benefit yourself.

But he doesn't have a "real conscience" so it's okay!
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Just to add to prior points made, not to reiterate, I will add that stealing food is stupid because 1) You will get caught, 2) At least one of the times you get caught the police will be called, 3) You likely will end up with a misdemeanor at some point in time, 4) You will likely become unemployable for anything that pays over say $25,000 a year after that. So basically you maybe stealing from some chain store (and by the way many of those are independently owned), but YOU will be the one who gets screwed in the end. All that you send into the lives of others comes back to your own (many fold). Believe it or don't. I have found that to be very true in my life thus far.
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

1. $25,000 a year is rich. I'm 30, and there is only one year of my life where I have made that much. And I live insanely luxuriously by any global standard.

2. This question is mostly hypothetical. No one in America needs to steal food to survive. We have homeless people, but we don't have people starving to death. (with the possible exception of some mentally ill homeless people... Who certainly wouldn't be taking this survey)

3. It probably doesn't matter if they are major chains or not. Would you vandalize them? If you would, then stealing from them could be morally consistent, but otherwise, It seems pretty shaky.
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

Tempest wrote:
Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

Stealing food to live if you're starving strips you of your dignity? According to whom?

The way I see it, food and water are basic human rights. Unfortunately, they are ones that a lot of the people in this word are being denied, for various reasons, many of them stemming from the folks at the "top".

...it's my opinion.

I used to blame "the man" and "establishment" a lot too, then I realized that despair lurks everywhere. Yes, lot of the things that make you at the "top" are temptations that help cause a lot of inhumane actions and situations, but much like the rich have a top of the mountain, so do the poor.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

If you break it down to the most basic form, by taking from someone else, you are contributing to the very thing that leaves you starving and thirsty in the first place. It's easy to take, but what about giving?

Like I said before, generosity is not giving you what you need more, it's giving you what I need more than you do.

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: [edited]. If I have it to give, I will.

|| sean ||

i steal for other people too when they're hungry. i give my extra food and leftover cigarettes (which i bum off other people) to the homeless that want them. i don't need your pity, i do alright by myself. this wasn't a question about my morality, just other people's. I'm Atheist, so the commandments mean nothing to me, which doesn't mean i'm evil and i like to kill and cheat. i live life to the fullest, as best i can. And i don't steal anything other than food from major chains.

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know. Cheese and Wine isn't going to get me full, and as for going to shelters and churches and sh*t? theres so many freaking homeless that are already there that i'd be lucky if i got in the door. I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

You're mistaken, I don't pity you. In the sense of humanity, I love you and simply wanted to remind you that some people in life do care about others. I know it wasn't a question about your morality, but YOU specifically asked me a question, and I gave you my answer, so don't dare complain or return with an attitude for your own actions. Not once have I given you a verbal spanking or morality lesson, so don't get defensive with me, cause I'm not out to argue or put you in your place.

As for athiesm, I don't believe in athiests. By science, athiesm can't exist. I also used to be agnostic, as well as considering a myriad of other beliefs. I'm confused as to where you're getting at where I've thrown the bible at you? I never mentioned any commandments or biblical law. Everything I said in my post is from basic humanity and compassion that this world needs more of.

You said it best, "don't assume what you don't know." You're doing a lot of assuming.

|| sean ||

wait, how old are you?! 12 right?
it seems like you've thought through this a lot and have pretty solid beliefs in this issue.
i wish i was this articulate and well informed when i was 12.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

crazeemunkeyz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

...it's my opinion.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

|| sean ||

|| sean ||

wait, how old are you?! 12 right?
it seems like you've thought through this a lot and have pretty solid beliefs in this issue.
i wish i was this articulate and well informed when i was 12.
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or whatever, but I'm pretty certain he's 19 or 20.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

definitely steal....
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:
"I am currently a Photography major at Columbia College Chicago. " doesn't sound that homeless to me

yea, i just finished a semester and i can't pay for next semester, so they'll eventually kick me out before the second semester starts.

Tempest wrote:

|| sean ||

By science Atheism exists. Just because someone uses skepticism and reason to explain things doesn't mean they don't exist. and i wasn't saying you threw the bible at me, someone else did, i was simply replying to everyone in one post, not just you. I don't assume what i don't know, cause i know there is no God. Religion is a creation by man to cope with death, to explain the unexplainable. that is all. And praying is the same thing as hoping, just because you hope something happens doesn't make it any more probable of it actually happening.

besides, i have no idea why this turned around on me and my beliefs, i was just curious about everyone else on here. f*ck.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Lantz wrote:
chasd00 wrote:

yea, i just finished a semester and i can't pay for next semester, so they'll eventually kick me out before the second semester starts.

Tempest wrote:

|| sean ||

By science Atheism exists. Just because someone uses skepticism and reason to explain things doesn't mean they don't exist. and i wasn't saying you threw the bible at me, someone else did, i was simply replying to everyone in one post, not just you. I don't assume what i don't know, cause i know there is no God. Religion is a creation by man to cope with death, to explain the unexplainable. that is all. And praying is the same thing as hoping, just because you hope something happens doesn't make it any more probable of it actually happening.

besides, i have no idea why this turned around on me and my beliefs, i was just curious about everyone else on here. f*ck.

you're so awesome.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
france
Golly, Poster

Oh man a controversial thread without me! Crying or Very sad

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
1. $25,000 a year is rich. I'm 30, and there is only one year of my life where I have made that much. And I live insanely luxuriously by any global standard.

I didn't say starting, I said maxing out (and implied in today's dollars, for 98% or people with a record as obvious exceptions exist). That is not a lot of money. It was a lot of money when I was 20, but not now that I'm almost 40 and have a couple kids, a house, cars, etc... True, people with a record can live a very comfortable life by world standards, but they will be limited in their opportunity.
Last edited by CUBSWINWORLDSERIES on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

And me! (Who's also you?)

Laughing

france
Golly, Poster

tahruh wrote:
And me! (Who's also you?)

Laughing

bb plz Rolling Eyes

Laughing

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>